Discreet Dolls

4 More Years!

Ranger68

Mar 17, 2003
irlandais9000 said:
Canadians, help me out here.............. how can we in the US defeat the radical right? What do we need to do? I am at a loss.
When half the people still believe it was Saddam who attacked on 9/11, how can I have a rational discussion with them? Any ideas are appreciated.........Jeb Bush looms on the horizon in 2008.
Your implication (outright statement?) that everyone who voted for Bush - that's 51% of the population of the United States - is irrational is quite amusing.
And illustrates why Bush won - because the Democrats have lost touch with the majority of the population - and then like to blame it on idiocy and radicalism. The latter is ironic.

CH812

May 15, 2004
Medellin, Colombia
Canadians, help me out here.............. how can we in the US defeat the radical right? What do we need to do? I am at a loss.
When half the people still believe it was Saddam who attacked on 9/11, how can I have a rational discussion with them? Any ideas are appreciated.........Jeb Bush looms on the horizon in 2008. [/B][/QUOTE]

The reason Canada is more liberal then the US is because of our multiculturalism....... The same liberal values that let our families immigrate to Canada are the ones we support during our election time...... If the US adapted a more mosaic attitude instead of trying to turn everyone into a flag-waver that would be the first step to moving to the center-left

Ranger68

Mar 17, 2003
Yeah.
I'll wait.
:rolleyes:
Oh, a quick history note - the 101st had to be RELIEVED from Bastogne - they didn't really do much ass-kicking, although their holding of the town certainly did go a long way towards defeating the German offensive in December of '44. Anyway, I just thought you may want to pick a more suitable analogy. Just a little FYI.

cr1mson2002

Apr 14, 2002
CH812 said:

The reason Canada is more liberal then the US is because of our multiculturalism....... The same liberal values that let our families immigrate to Canada are the ones we support during our election time...... If the US adapted a more mosaic attitude instead of trying to turn everyone into a flag-waver that would be the first step to moving to the center-left
Some may argue that the success of any group is best ensured when the constituents put aside their cultural beliefs and adapt to a common culture for the betterment of society. The concept of the "melting pot" comes to mind.

Jan 24, 2004
The Vegetative State
Ranger68 said:
Yeah.
I'll wait.
Oh, a quick history note - the 101st had to be RELIEVED from Bastogne - they didn't really do much ass-kicking, although their holding of the town certainly did go a long way towards defeating the German offensive in December of '44. Anyway, I just thought you may want to pick a more suitable analogy. Just a little FYI.
Ranger has never, never let the facts get in the way of being a jerk. And we should respect him for that.

stainless

Aug 16, 2003
I hate the multicultural promotion done thru the government. If you want to celebrate a culture that's fine just do it with your own resources.

Canada's liberalism versus the US go farther than simply based on multiculture. Just examine the history of the two countries, american's revolted against the british and took their own form of government, while Canada adopted the british system of government and remain in the commonwealth. (the british finally left after we killed them in hockey ! - they kept kicking the puck, instead of using the stick)

irlandais9000

Feb 15, 2004
USA
QUOTE]Originally posted by Ranger68
Your implication (outright statement?) that everyone who voted for Bush - that's 51% of the population of the United States - is irrational is quite amusing.
And illustrates why Bush won - because the Democrats have lost touch with the majority of the population - and then like to blame it on idiocy and radicalism. The latter is ironic.
[/QUOTE]

Ranger,

I am a Political Science graduate as well an observer of the Amercian political scene for over 30 years. My observations are not quite as simple as you make them out to be, as I realize the inherent compexities involved in any electoral system. I do not view 51 percent of the electorate as idiots or irrational people, many of them are my close friends, relatives and neighbors.

What I do point out is the predominance of simplistic arguments in politics nowadays. 20 years ago, I could have a good political discussion, and hear people on all sides of the spectrum presenting good arguments. I could debate into the wee hours of the morning with friends on a variety of issues, and feel satisfied that we had an intelligent discussion.

However, times have changed. The honest argument has been replaced by statements that are demonstratably false (i.e. saying Kerry has said he wants to ban hunting) and statements about the candidates (Bush is religious, etc.) that do not address the candidates' positions on the issues.

What used to be mere distortion has become outright lie on the part of politicans, and Bush is the best example. For example, Bush opposed the creation of the 9/11 commission, saying it wasn't in the interest of national security to dig into such sensitive matters in a time of war. When it became too embarassing for him to continue the opposition, he reversed himself, and supported it. A few months afterward, he DENIED ever having opposed the creation of the commission. The lie was repeated so many times by Bush and his media cronies, most notably in Fox news, that people eventually believed the lie.

When I was a kid, my elders would vote the way they did because of what a political party had done 40 years before that! But now, people don't even remember what a candidate or party did 6 months ago. It's a sad state of affairs.

You may be right, Ranger, perhaps the Dems have lost touch with the majority, and yes, I do blame it on radicalism to a degree. As far as the American people being idiots, that's not what I said, but again I will point out that there is a reliance on simple, irrelevant arguments.

You never addressed my main question, regarding the 10 examples I gave. What do you think about those examples, are they intelligent arguments to you? And if you don't think they are, how is it possible to have a discussion when people rely on cliches and slogans so much? If you asked me why I think you should vote for Kerry, and I said because he is a good man, would you think that I really answered your question? How come the Republicans get a free pass in this area? Still looking for answers................

irlandais9000

Feb 15, 2004
USA
CH812 said:
When half the people still believe it was Saddam who attacked on 9/11, how can I have a rational discussion with them? Any ideas are appreciated.........Jeb Bush looms on the horizon in 2008.

The reason Canada is more liberal then the US is because of our multiculturalism....... The same liberal values that let our families immigrate to Canada are the ones we support during our election time...... If the US adapted a more mosaic attitude instead of trying to turn everyone into a flag-waver that would be the first step to moving to the center-left [/B][/QUOTE]

That is a good observation, CH. It unfortunately is a difficult thing to make happen in the US though. Perhaps someday it will happen, as the Hispanic population becomes a higher percentage, but's it hard to say.

Unfortunately, in the next 4 years, we still have to deal with more Bush thefts from the treasury (the hundreds of billions going to his biggest contributors, the drug companies and the defense contractors), sabotage of Social Security and Medicare, and who konws what else.

Asterix

Aug 6, 2002
Ranger68 said:
Yeah.
I'll wait.
The 101st light division had to be "relieved" after holding off and effectively defeating three panzer divisions, two of them tank divisions, under brutal conditions, ending any hope for the Nazis in the west. It is arguably one of the most courageous stands in military history, and no, they did do some serious ass-kicking. Just a little FYI.

Don

Aug 23, 2001
Toronto
Canadians, help me out here.............. how can we in the US defeat the radical right? What do we need to do? I am at a loss. When half the people still believe it was Saddam who attacked on 9/11, how can I have a rational discussion with them? Any ideas are appreciated.........Jeb Bush looms on the horizon in 2008.
One point that needs to be hammered home, especially to the folks here:

Take the religious right seriously instead of mocking them. The number of voters is just too great.

ex:
The problem, said Michael Lerner, is that too many fellow liberals are "trapped in a long-standing disdain for religion and tone-deaf to the spiritual needs that underlie the move to the right." They need to shed a core belief that Bush voters "are fundamentally stupid or evil."

The left, he and others argue, has to show the religious basis for its policy positions and not let the right define morality.
--------------------------------------
ex:
Democrats' ideological spectrum that they "have to take the time to understand the concerns of rural families and Christian families," as Clinton White House chief of staff Leon E. Panetta put it. "We cannot ignore the swath of red [Republican] states across the South and Midwest. The party of FDR has become the party of Michael Moore and [his film] 'Fahrenheit 9/11,' and it does not help us in big parts of the country."

------------------------------------
Let's face it. Liberal comedians making fun of NASCAR, Toby Keith, conservative bible belt people, southern accents and so on helped mobilize Bush voters. Even Ann Cloutier went on yesterday thanking Michael Moore, Jon Stewart, Al Franken, Air America Radio, etc... for their help in pissing off their conservative base enough to vote in record numbers. It was no secret the Repubs used quotes and clips to help mobilize.

American liberals may not like them. But pissing them off is not going to help. there are just too many of them to ignore.

It's easy for us to ridicule them but when we do so publically, we are actually hurting the people who we identify with the most in the US - liberal America. When Carolyn Parrish calls Americans morons and then says she prefers Bush to lose.... who do you think Americans will want to vote for?

Ranger68

Mar 17, 2003
Drunken Master said:
Ranger has never, never let the facts get in the way of being a jerk. And we should respect him for that.
Actually, the facts always get in the way - it's all about the facts first. Being a jerk comes a close second.
:)

Ranger68

Mar 17, 2003
irlandais9000 said:
QUOTE]Originally posted by Ranger68

You never addressed my main question, regarding the 10 examples I gave. What do you think about those examples, are they intelligent arguments to you? And if you don't think they are, how is it possible to have a discussion when people rely on cliches and slogans so much? If you asked me why I think you should vote for Kerry, and I said because he is a good man, would you think that I really answered your question? How come the Republicans get a free pass in this area? Still looking for answers................
[/QUOTE]

I'm not interested in debating these points with you.
I'm just pointing out that your insinuation that those who voted for Bush, all 51% of the American population, are irrational is foolish and weakens the rest of your argument.

Ranger68

Mar 17, 2003
Asterix said:
The 101st light division had to be "relieved" after holding off and effectively defeating three panzer divisions, two of them tank divisions, under brutal conditions, ending any hope for the Nazis in the west. It is arguably one of the most courageous stands in military history, and no, they did do some serious ass-kicking. Just a little FYI.
No, they were pretty much on the receiving end. That they could hold in position until relieved while having the shit kicked out of them was remarkable - and I pointed this out in my post.
Hilarious. I actually go to the trouble of outlining the situation, then have people tell me what the situation was. LOL
Anyway, I was pointing out to DQ, who still doesn't get it, that if you're going to threaten physical violence (which is a pretty immature and retarded thing to do on the Internet), you may want to pick an analogy more appropriate.
:)
Clear?
Good.

Oh, and technically, the 101st was an *airborne* division, not a light division - although after the jump in support of D-Day it was certainly treated like a regular infrantry unit, not an elite para unit. (Not that I think you understand the difference.) And a Panzer division IS a tank division, so I guess you'd better go back and figure out your numbers. Just some more advice.

clipper

Apr 4, 2002
American Exceptionalism

American Exceptionalism is the real problem here. Americans are constantly immersed in the idea that the USA is the "beacon of freedom in the world" , the "good guys" and god's chosen people.

The culture reinforces this self-image. Most people get their ideas about what the USA is like and it's motives are from American movies. The concept of the "frontier society", the rugged individualist has been cultivated for 100 years in dime-store novels, then movies.

Unfortunately, the frontier society was a lawless place. The truth is the cowboy heroes were back-shooting drunkards .

The biggest disappointment to me is that American seem unable to take any responsibility for their actions in the world.
Isn't it time to stop mourning Pearl Harbour and give at least a passing thought to the civilians incinerated in the firebombing of Tokyo and the detonation of two nuclear bombs over Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

The Iraq war is plainly illegal, and has resulted in the deaths of many thousands of innocent non-combatants. I expected Americans to hold Bush accountable, but given the cultural brainwashing, I understand why they did not.

Ranger68

Mar 17, 2003
DonQuixote said:
Now, you've crossed the line. My division held the line.
Against heavy losses they held the line and stopped the
German counter-offensive. They changed
the course of the war. Had the Germans defeated the 101st
the war would have taken a different direction.

How dare you, you leg, you noncombatant. What do you
know about war?
I'm sorry - I didn't know I was talking to a Bastogne veteran.
Were you in Band of Brothers? Who played you?

Ranger68

Mar 17, 2003
Re: American Exceptionalism

clipper said:

The biggest disappointment to me is that American seem unable to take any responsibility for their actions in the world.
Isn't it time to stop mourning Pearl Harbour and give at least a passing thought to the civilians incinerated in the firebombing of Tokyo and the detonation of two nuclear bombs over Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

The Iraq war is plainly illegal, and has resulted in the deaths of many thousands of innocent non-combatants. I expected Americans to hold Bush accountable, but given the cultural brainwashing, I understand why they did not.
The Iraq war is *arguably* illegal, not "plainly". Nothing about international law, especially as it applies to warmaking is remotely *clear*.

And I'm not sure what point you're making about the end of WWII. Frankly, the Americans almost certainly SAVED MILLIONS of Japanese lives by ending the war the way they did. And the Americans have apologized for more of their actions during WWII than the Japanese ever have or will, despite the fact that they were the ones who initiated a war of aggression.

Ranger68

Mar 17, 2003
DonQuixote said:
There may be a melting pot. But, it's hard wiring that though we are
of similar backgrouds we find reasons to have cultural differences.
Without raising issues, the Canadians are divided among
the French speaking, Ontario, the Plaines Provinces and the
West Coast Provinces. The 'melting pot' is, at the end of the
day, a desired end but none the less a myth.
Nonsense. This coming from an American? And you can't tell me the difference between cities like New York and Toronto??
I understand your point about cultural and linguistic *strata* but to say that there's no difference between the American and Canadian ways of doing things - with regards to cultural assimilation - doesn't hold water.

onthebottom

Never Been Justly Banned
Jan 10, 2002
Hooterville
www.scubadiving.com
Re: American Exceptionalism

clipper said:
American Exceptionalism is the real problem here. Americans are constantly immersed in the idea that the USA is the "beacon of freedom in the world" , the "good guys" and god's chosen people.

The culture reinforces this self-image. Most people get their ideas about what the USA is like and it's motives are from American movies. The concept of the "frontier society", the rugged individualist has been cultivated for 100 years in dime-store novels, then movies.

Unfortunately, the frontier society was a lawless place. The truth is the cowboy heroes were back-shooting drunkards .

A bit of American Exceptionalism from the Economist (see Nov. 6 2003):

But the term “exceptionalism� is more than a description of how America differs from the rest of the world. It also encompasses the significance of those differences and the policies based upon them. People have been searching for some wider meaning to the place since its earliest days. In 1630, the year the Massachusetts Bay Company was founded, John Winthrop, the colony's governor, described his new land as “a city upon a hill, the eyes of all people are upon us.�

And as they have looked, people have found two quite different reasons for thinking that America is special. One is that it is uniquely founded on principles to which any country can aspire. In 1787, Alexander Hamilton wrote in the first Federalist Paper that “It seems to have been reserved to the people of this country, by their conduct and example, to decide the important question, whether societies of men are really capable or not of establishing good government from reflection and choice, or whether they are forever destined to depend for their political constitutions on accident and force.�

That is America-as-model. George Bush has embraced the idea. Commemorating the first anniversary of the attacks of September 11th 2001, he said that “the ideal of America is the hope of all mankind.� He was echoing Lincoln, who called America “the last, best hope of earth�.

But exceptionalism has another meaning: that America is intrinsically different from other countries in its values and institutions, and is therefore not necessarily a model. Thomas Jefferson said that “Every species of government has its specific principles. Ours are perhaps more peculiar than those of any other in the universe.�

In 1929, Jay Lovestone, the head of the American communist party, was summoned to Moscow. Stalin demanded to know why the worldwide communist revolution had advanced not one step in the largest capitalist country. Lovestone replied that America lacked the preconditions for communism, such as feudalism and aristocracy. No less an authority than Friedrich Engels had said the same thing, talking of “the special American conditions...which make bourgeois conditions look like a beau idéal to them.� So had an Italian Marxist, Antonio Gramsci, and a British socialist, H.G. Wells, who had both argued that America's unique origins had produced a distinctive value system and unusual politics.

America is different than Old Europe and much of the world, and we view that as a good thing.

OTB

onthebottom

Never Been Justly Banned
Jan 10, 2002
Hooterville
www.scubadiving.com
Ranger68 said:
Nonsense. This coming from an American? And you can't tell me the difference between cities like New York and Toronto??
I understand your point about cultural and linguistic *strata* but to say that there's no difference between the American and Canadian ways of doing things - with regards to cultural assimilation - doesn't hold water.
I can't think of any city that is like New York.

OTB

someone

Jun 7, 2003
Earth
galt said:
hmmm, sort of like the incompetant lying moron that just left the Prime Minister's office...The one who Canadians elected for three straight majorities and sat as he spoke to imaginary homeless people and openly stole from us with contempt. Me thinks you should take a good hard look behind your pointed finger
True but at least you can't say that a majority of Canadians were foolish enough to vote for him. You can't say the same for a Majority of Americans.

Ashley Madison
Toronto Escorts