Maple Leafs 2018 - 19

shack

Nitpicker Extraordinaire
Oct 2, 2001
53,839
11,777
113
Toronto
Yup, and he'll probably do it again next year and the year after and the year after and the year after...
I wouldn't bet against that.

Too bad he couldn't have done that with 50 goal seasons from the beginning, like Mike Bossy did. Even better than Gretzky, he was the most natural goal scorer I ever saw. I never saw the Rocket play.
 

superstar_88

The Chiseler
Jan 4, 2008
6,530
1,821
113
Brett Hull
 

Insidious Von

My head is my home
Sep 12, 2007
45,422
11,003
113
Alfred Hitchcock said that Connor McDavid would run roughshod over the Leafs.

Ahhh, the capital of Canada's greatest Province fall down. Looks good on Gretzky, I feel for McDavid. When he got drafted he must have said, " Sheeeiiit, I'm too young for this shit".
 

gcostanza

Well-known member
Jul 24, 2010
7,815
529
113
... I never saw the Rocket play.
You never saw Pavel Bure play? :eyebrows::biggrin:





Yes, I know he was the Russian Rocket.
 

saxon

Well-known member
Dec 2, 2009
4,770
540
113
Alfred Hitchcock said that Connor McDavid would run roughshod over the Leafs.

Ahhh, the capital of Canada's greatest Province fall down. Looks good on Gretzky, I feel for McDavid. When he got drafted he must have said, " Sheeeiiit, I'm too young for this shit".
McDavid was never obligated to sign with the Oilers after they drafted him. I’m surprised more kids don’t pull a Lindros and refuse to sign with a club they obviously don’t want to be on.
 

gcostanza

Well-known member
Jul 24, 2010
7,815
529
113
McDavid was never obligated to sign with the Oilers after they drafted him. I’m surprised more kids don’t pull a Lindros and refuse to sign with a club they obviously don’t want to be on.
No, they don't. Of course, they would have to sit out 2 years before they reenter the draft.
They could play in KHL I suppose, eeeek.
 

saxon

Well-known member
Dec 2, 2009
4,770
540
113
No, they don't. Of course, they would have to sit out 2 years before they reenter the draft.
They could play in KHL I suppose, eeeek.
That’s where having a good agent comes in handy. Negotiating an agreement before the draft would benefit a player who may be picked by a team he doesn’t want to play for and would also ensure a club doesn’t get stuck with a disgruntled youngster.
 

superstar_88

The Chiseler
Jan 4, 2008
6,530
1,821
113
Alfred Hitchcock said that Connor McDavid would run roughshod over the Leafs.

Ahhh, the capital of Canada's greatest Province fall down. Looks good on Gretzky, I feel for McDavid. When he got drafted he must have said, " Sheeeiiit, I'm too young for this shit".
A horror show indeed.

He could have did what Tavaras did instead he signed for longer than he needed to. Imagine a team with Taylor Hall and McDavid. So many first overalls and with the best player in the world and still they suck big time. Leafs were just coasting in 1st period otherwise it would have been over by the 10 minute mark.
 

chuckertmg

Active member
Mar 26, 2013
632
191
43
not always sure...
The big surprise of the night was how Boston manhandled the Lightning. Holy smoke.

The Leafs/Islanders game offered no surprises.... except for maybe how brutal Jake Muzzin was - that was disappointing.
 

superstar_88

The Chiseler
Jan 4, 2008
6,530
1,821
113
Boston beat Lighting in the playoffs last year. Don't be so surprised. Even Leafs played the Lighting well this year.

Indeed, Muzzin looks terrible. Not just this game. The last few games. But they need him cause they can't play Holl in the playoffs.
 

Goodoer

Doing Good. Looking for cohorts.
Feb 20, 2004
3,322
2,426
113
GTA & Thereabouts...
Ughh... What a shit game. The absolute wilting in the face of pressure is disturbing. You're supposed to 'ramp up'. Muzzin had a horrible game in a string of 'iffy' ones. Marincin looked to be playing at an ECHL level. Sparks made some nice stops, but he still let in a shit tonne - most namely the short-handed one which was a dagger.

I'm a diehard... But man is that window ticking... Seattle will rape & pillage the league come the expansion draft and the Leafers will be in trouble.
 

superstar_88

The Chiseler
Jan 4, 2008
6,530
1,821
113
I stand corrected. But TB can't win every game they play.

Andersen is the miracle worker. Sparks may be competent but he's not spectacular. Interesting stat before the game. He's played 12 games. 6 he's been terrible and 6 he's been great. Nothing in between. To let in 6 in a game has to be classified as terrible.
 

chuckertmg

Active member
Mar 26, 2013
632
191
43
not always sure...
Andersen is the miracle worker. Sparks may be competent but he's not spectacular. Interesting stat before the game. He's played 12 games. 6 he's been terrible and 6 he's been great. Nothing in between. To let in 6 in a game has to be classified as terrible.
We're in agreement - Anderson is a magician and has been responsible for a lot of the Leafs success this season and last.
But I don't think Sparks played that badly under the circumstances he was facing.
Islanders beat the Leafs 4-0 in December and I think Anderson was playing then, wasn't he?
 

chuckertmg

Active member
Mar 26, 2013
632
191
43
not always sure...
Oh, well... many decisions have been made and the universe will unfold as it should.
Interesting to note that McElhinney’s save percentage this year is identical to Anderson’s.
 

superstar_88

The Chiseler
Jan 4, 2008
6,530
1,821
113
After leafs tying goal was disallowed Islanders scored short handed to make it 3 1 and that was pretty much it. That is the difference. Andersen has made those saves to give the Leafs a chance to come back.

Sure Sparks stops those long shots unscreened as he should but screens scrambles 2 on 1's he's not able to find a way. But he is just a backup so be it.
 

jrobertson1

Registered Pervert
Oct 8, 2010
821
30
28
But I don't think Sparks played that badly under the circumstances he was facing.
I would normally agree, but this season I've found myself saying something like "Sparks had no support" or "no chance" or "did fine considering" way too many times. At a certain point I think we have to stop make excuses for him. He just has to be better.
 
Toronto Escorts