Wal-Mart worker trampled to death by Black Friday mob

S.C. Joe

Client # 13
Nov 2, 2007
Detroit, USA
OK, I say something....whats a 8 month pregnant women doing waiting outside in the winter all night long anyways :confused:

She should be taking better care of herself and her baby.

(not saying it was ok what happen to her)

S.C. Joe

Client # 13
Nov 2, 2007
Detroit, USA
KBear said:
The Walmart here is opened 24/7. No line ups.

But in some towns--likely that town--keeping the store open 24 hours just isn't poss.

Too many drunks, women looking to get pick up, punks selling dope in the parking lot-(video cameras don't stop everybody) at 3am.

Many Wal Marts are 24 hours but not in de hood, lol.

Edifice

Jul 27, 2003

S.C. Joe

Client # 13
Nov 2, 2007
Detroit, USA
NO...I hear her and the baby were OK :(

S.C. Joe

Client # 13
Nov 2, 2007
Detroit, USA
Well Wally has 2 major lawsuits now to worry about.

I like how they are already defending themselves...they claim they took all steps and had security working outside, funny on those pictures from the daily news it look like a free for all outside.

S.C. Joe

Client # 13
Nov 2, 2007
Detroit, USA
Hmmm, the latest from AP...but they aren't always right...until the next day, lol

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/st...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-11-28-21-19-55

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital, where she and the baby were reported to be OK, said police Sgt. Anthony Repalone.

Police said criminal charges were possible in the case, but Fleming said it would be difficult to identify individual shoppers. Authorities were reviewing surveillance video.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., based in Bentonville, Ark., called the incident a "tragic situation" and said the employee came from a temporary agency and was doing maintenance work at the store. It said it tried to prepare for the crowd by adding staffers and outside security workers, putting up barricades and consulting police.

"Despite all of our precautions, this unfortunate event occurred," senior Vice President Hank Mullany said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those impacted."

S.C. Joe

Client # 13
Nov 2, 2007
Detroit, USA
OK...the latest from the NY Times...sounds like T-Boy was right, they crashed the doors open...

By ROBERT D. McFADDEN and ANGELA MACROPOULOS
Published: November 28, 2008

The throng of Wal-Mart shoppers had been building all night, filling sidewalks and stretching across a vast parking lot at the Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream, N.Y. At 3:30 a.m., the Nassau County police had to be called in for crowd control, and an officer with a bullhorn pleaded for order.

Tension grew as the 5 a.m. opening neared. Someone taped up a crude poster: “Blitz Line Starts Here.”

By 4:55, with no police officers in sight, the crowd of more than 2,000 had become a rabble, and could be held back no longer. Fists banged and shoulders pressed on the sliding-glass double doors, which bowed in with the weight of the assault. Six to 10 workers inside tried to push back, but it was hopeless.

Suddenly, witnesses and the police said, the doors shattered, and the shrieking mob surged through in a blind rush for holiday bargains. One worker, Jdimytai Damour, 34, was thrown back onto the black linoleum tiles and trampled in the stampede that streamed over and around him. Others who had stood alongside Mr. Damour trying to hold the doors were also hurled back and run over, witnesses said.

Some workers who saw what was happening fought their way through the surge to get to Mr. Damour, but he had been fatally injured, the police said. Emergency workers tried to revive Mr. Damour, a temporary worker hired for the holiday season, at the scene, but he was pronounced dead an hour later at Franklin Hospital Medical Center in Valley Stream.

Four other people, including a 28-year-old woman who was described as eight months pregnant, were treated at the hospital for minor injuries.

Detective Lt. Michael Fleming, who is in charge of the investigation for the Nassau police, said the store lacked adequate security. He called the scene “utter chaos” and said the “crowd was out of control.” As for those who had run over the victim, criminal charges were possible, the lieutenant said. “I’ve heard other people call this an accident, but it is not,” he said. “Certainly it was a foreseeable act.”

But even with videos from the store’s surveillance cameras, which were being examined, and the accounts of witnesses, Lieutenant Fleming and other officials acknowledged that it would be difficult to identify those responsible, let alone to prove culpability.

Some shoppers who had seen the stampede said they were shocked. One of them, Kimberly Cribbs of Queens, said the crowd had acted like “savages.” Shoppers behaved badly even as the store was being cleared, she recalled.

“When they were saying they had to leave, that an employee got killed, people were yelling, ‘I’ve been on line since yesterday morning,’ ” Ms. Cribbs told The Associated Press. “They kept shopping.”

Wal-Mart security officials and the police cleared the store, swept up the shattered glass and locked the doors until 1 p.m., when it reopened to a steady stream of calmer shoppers who passed through the missing doors and battered door jambs, apparently unaware that anything had happened.

Ugly shopping scenes, a few involving injuries, have become commonplace during the bargain-hunting ritual known as Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, when America’s anxious retailers say they finally turn a profit for the year. The nation’s largest retail group, the National Retail Federation, said it had never heard of a worker being killed on Black Friday.

“We are not aware of any other circumstances where a retail employee has died working on the day after Thanksgiving,” said Ellen Davis, speaking for the group.

Wal-Mart declined to provide details of the stampede or of its security arrangements, which vary from store to store. It was thus unclear how many security workers it had at Valley Stream for the store’s opening on Friday. The Green Acres Mall provides its own security to supplement the staffs of some large stores, but it did not appear that Wal-Mart was one of them.

A Wal-Mart spokesman, Dan Folgleman, called it a “tragic situation,” and said the victim had been hired from a temporary staffing agency and assigned to maintenance work. Wal-Mart, in a statement issued at its headquarters in Bentonville, Ark., said: “The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority. Our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families at this tragic time.”

Wal-Mart has vigorously and successfully resisted unionization of its employees. New York State’s largest grocery union, Local 1500 of the United Food and Commercial Workers, called the death of Mr. Damour “avoidable” and demanded investigations by local prosecutors and federal and state agencies.

“Where were the safety barriers?” said Bruce Both, the union president. “Where was security? How did store management not see dangerous numbers of customers barreling down on the store in such an unsafe manner? This is not just tragic; it rises to a level of blatant irresponsibility by Wal-Mart.”

While other Wal-Mart stores dot the suburbs around the city, the outlet at Valley Stream, less than two miles from New York City’s southeastern border, draws customers from Queens, Brooklyn and the densely populated suburbs of Nassau County. And it was not the only store in the Green Acres Mall that attracted large crowds. Best Buy, Circuit City and BJ’s were also mobbed.

Witnesses said the crowd outside Wal-Mart began gathering at 9 p.m. on Thursday. The night was not bitterly cold, and the early mood was relaxed. By the early morning hours, the throngs had grown, and officers of the Fifth Precinct of the Nassau County Police Department, who patrol Valley Stream, were out in force, checking on crowds at the mall, which stretches for a half-mile and has scores of stores.

Mr. Damour, who lived in Queens, went into the store sometime during the night to stock shelves and perform maintenance work. It was not clear on Friday night when or through what agency he had been hired.

By 3:30 a.m., the crowd outside Wal-Mart had swelled, drawn by sales promoting a Samsung 50-inch plasma high-definition television for $798, a Bissel Compact upright vacuum for $28, a Samsung 10.2 megapixel digital camera for $69 and DVDs like “The Incredible Hulk” for $9. The store usually opens at 9 a.m., but in anticipation of a big day, the opening was set for 5 a.m., two hours before sunrise.

About the same time that Mr. Damour was killed, a shopper at a Wal-Mart in Farmingdale, 15 miles east of Valley Stream, said she was trampled by a crowd of overeager customers, the Suffolk County police reported. The woman sustained a cut on her leg, but finished her shopping before filing the police report, an officer said.

Tracy-xxx

Mar 28, 2008
Ya, the door was definitely broken down...
One of the comments of the youtube videos was a guy who said he had the video and gave a link where you see that actual occurrence, and, I quote "Yo dat so cool, some nigga just broke down da doors!"
Man, that is some sick shit.
So happy I don't shop on sale days.

Very chilling to watch a video where you know that a life is being taken at that moment.

alexmst

Dec 27, 2004
This year I've done 80% of my shopping online. I guess the GTA mad rush day to comapre this to is the boxing day sales where people in Woodbridge line up at Best Buy to get the deals. Though they copy the waiting for hours outside (dumb in my opinion) they don't stampede in like savages from what I've heard. Maybe it is our Canadian politeness that makes us less inclined to run over fallen people squashing them to get to the reduced price DVD player.

It is a pathetic example of people taking shopping way to seriously.

tboy

resident smartass
Aug 18, 2001
way out in left field
just to respond from 2 pages back: there's mob mentality only for the mentally unstable. I would not yell "jump" to a guy on a ledge and have standards to live up to unlike most of the fucktards in these instances.

To think it's "cool" that somoene died? FUCK.

I hate to say this but the rest of the world is watching these videos and thinking: americans, do you expect anything less?

I just hope someone in authority has the balls to go on TV and say he's ashamed of the people who did this and ashamed to think there are people like this in american society.

I am thoroughly and totally discusted by this.....(and yeah, wtf is a prenant woman doing at a walmart at 5 am?)

Asterix

Aug 6, 2002
tboy said:
I am thoroughly and totally discusted by this.....(and yeah, wtf is a prenant woman doing at a walmart at 5 am?)
Because for whatever reason she felt that desperate. And yeah, you're right, it is disgusting.

tboy

resident smartass
Aug 18, 2001
way out in left field
Desparate for what? An LCD tv? Cheap toys? The ONLY valid reason for anyone to be out there partaking in that mess is if they hadn't eaten for days and they were giving away a month's worth of food....other than that? There's nothing at walmart that someone needs to line up at 5 am for.

Oh, and I was thinking about everyone saying that walmart should have had more security, you may be right, but they probably didn't expect a herd of animals to invade their store. They probably expected a civilized group of shoppers looking for bargains. How wrong they were.......

Rylan

Banned - Never!!!
Sep 21, 2008
tboy said:
Desparate for what? An LCD tv? Cheap toys? The ONLY valid reason for anyone to be out there partaking in that mess is if they hadn't eaten for days and they were giving away a month's worth of food....other than that? There's nothing at walmart that someone needs to line up at 5 am for.
That is true! And I started saying that in beginning. I don't care what the product is, there is no need for people to act this way.

People can bitch about the tough times we are having right now, but there is still no need for that. Wal-mart did not mark down food. All the rest of the stuff there is a luxury.

tboy said:
Oh, and I was thinking about everyone saying that walmart should have had more security, you may be right, but they probably didn't expect a herd of animals to invade their store. They probably expected a civilized group of shoppers looking for bargains. How wrong they were.......
Thank you. Someone gets the point. This is 2008 people. You mean that in this day, people still don't know how to act civilized. We are talking about shopping here.
:rolleyes:

Aardvark154

Jan 19, 2006
Run that by again Mr. Police Commissioner?

Nassau County Police Commissioner Lawrence Mulvey commenting on identifying those in the crowd of 2,000 people who broke down the electronic doors of the store where Jdimytai Damour, was working Friday morning and trampled him to death said that it would be difficult to file criminal charges against any of the shoppers. "It goes beyond identifying specific people to make a case, you have to establish recklessness or intent to harm, which led to his death."

So breaking down the doors and as the Commissioner himself said “those hundreds of people who did make their way into the store, literally had to step over or around him or unfortunately on him to get into the Wal-Mart store" does not show negligent or reckless disregard for his life? Well perhaps the Criminal Law in New York is different from most other places in North America.

LancsLad

Unstable Element
Jan 15, 2004
In a very dark place
Aardvark154 said:
Nassau County Police Commissioner Lawrence Mulvey commenting on identifying those in the crowd of 2,000 people who broke down the electronic doors of the store where Jdimytai Damour, was working Friday morning and trampled him to death said that it would be difficult to file criminal charges against any of the shoppers. "It goes beyond identifying specific people to make a case, you have to establish recklessness or intent to harm, which led to his death."

So breaking down the doors and as the Commissioner himself said “those hundreds of people who did make their way into the store, literally had to step over or around him or unfortunately on him to get into the Wal-Mart store" does not show negligent or reckless disregard for his life? Well perhaps the Criminal Law in New York is different from most other places in North America.

That is truly sad.

These are the same people who ask us taxpaying drones to have faith in their system.

Show the tape to Paul Kersey, he'll see that the right thing is done.

Asterix

Aug 6, 2002
Aardvark154 said:

I think he came to the obvious conclusion that it would be impossible to attempt to prosecute upwards of 2000 people for negligent homicide.

hairyfucker

Turgid Member
Sep 10, 2005
yes
Mongrel4u said:
WTF is wrong with people? all to save a few bucks

My feelings. How much could you actually save? Assuming the most expensive item on sale was a LCD TV. I would assume that the most saved was $100 - $200?

I also read that when the police told everyone to leave the store because someone was killed the response was "We waited all morning we want to shop".

People are parasitic animals.

S.C. Joe

Client # 13
Nov 2, 2007
Detroit, USA
Lawyer: Trampled NY worker lacked crowd training

By FRANK ELTMAN
Associated Press

MINEOLA, N.Y. (AP) -- A worker trampled to death when customers stormed a Wal-Mart for bargains on the day after Thanksgiving had no experience in crowd control and was placed at the entrance because of his hulking frame, police and a lawyer said Monday.

The details about the deadly stampede came out as police pored over video surveillance provided by the store while considering possible criminal charges. Lawyers were also preparing to sue over the episode.

Nassau County Police Commissioner Lawrence Mulvey noted that the worker, Jdimytai Damour, was 6 feet 5 and 270 pounds, making the trampling all the more stunning. He was killed when a crowd estimated at 2,000 strong broke down the electronic doors in frantic pursuit of bargains on big-screen TVs, clothing and other items.

"Literally anyone, those hundreds of people who did make their way into the store, literally had to step over or around him or unfortunately on him to get into the Wal-Mart store," said Mulvey.

Mulvey said an autopsy found that Damour, 34, died of asphyxiation related to his trampling, and he conceded that it would be difficult to file criminal charges against any of the shoppers.

"It goes beyond identifying specific people to make a case," Mulvey said. "You have to establish recklessness or intent to harm, which led to his death."

Attorney Jordan Hecht, who represents Damour's three sisters, said the family declined to make any public statements about the man's death. Funeral arrangements were pending, he said.

Hecht said Damour had been working at the Wal-Mart only for about a week and was hired through an employment agency that provides temporary staffing. Damour had not been trained for any security assignments and had no background in crowd control, he said.

A call seeking comment from the employment agency was not returned.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., in a statement Friday, called the incident a "tragic situation" and said it had tried to prepare for the crowd by adding staffers and outside security workers, putting up barricades and consulting police.

"Despite all of our precautions, this unfortunate event occurred," senior Vice President Hank Mullany said in the statement.

Mullany said through a spokesman on Monday that the store was cooperating with investigators. He did not specifically comment on Mulvey's remarks.

Hecht said that he was considering a lawsuit but that no decision had been made. Two other injured shoppers filed a notice of claim Monday, the first step toward proceeding with a lawsuit.

At least four other people were treated at hospitals and released, including a woman who was eight months pregnant.

Mulvey said while investigators are still piecing together details, it is apparent that the Wal-Mart store lacked adequate security to handle the crowds of shoppers that converged on Friday morning.

"In fact, security was inside the store and not outside organizing, arranging and planning for this anticipated opening," Mulvey said.

Police officers had been called to the scene at about 3 a.m. but left after about a half-hour, he said. The crowd - then estimated at about 400 - was not unruly at that time.

The National Retail Federation, the industry's largest group, was unaware of any other store workers ever dying on the job in the post-Thanksgiving rush.

Shoppers around the country line up early outside stores on the day after Thanksgiving in the annual bargain-hunting ritual known as Black Friday. It got that name because it has historically been the day stores broke into profitability for the full year.

Burt P. Flickinger III, managing director of Strategic Resource Group, a retail-consulting firm, said retailers quickly learned they can attract massive crowds if they promise amazing savings and limit the inventory or availability of the sale items to a few hours.

A number of retailers have opted to distribute vouchers or organize the sales in other ways to "cut down on the tsunami of shoppers entering the store all at once," he said.

"There are so many retailers doing it the right way, it seems senseless there wasn't strategic and operational planning here," Flickinger said.

In addition to not knowing how much inventory may be available on a sale item, shoppers often don't know the exact location where the merchandise is kept, he said. "They get in early and run the retail racetrack," Flickinger said.

"It is a recipe for disaster," the police commissioner said. "And that's what happened here."

© 2008 The Associated Press.

Toronto Escorts