Sexy Friends Toronto
PinkCherry Sex Toys

Re-locating Windows

Darts

Jan 15, 2017
Hi Techies, need your help again.

I have Windows 8 on a desktop that seems to be dying.

Is there a way I can re-locate the internal HD with the Windows 8 to another desktop?

cordoba002

Aug 29, 2004
You can install the HDD into anther machine with an active operating system and boot drive to access any personal files and transfer them. You cannot install the drive into another machine as the primary drive and boot into windows 8. The hardware is different.

Darts

Jan 15, 2017
You can install the HDD into anther machine with an active operating system and boot drive to access any personal files and transfer them. You cannot install the drive into another machine as the primary drive and boot into windows 8. The hardware is different.
Thanks. Does the O/S in the other computer have to be a version of Windows like XP, VISTA, Win7, etc.? Or, can it be Linux?

The other computer I have in mind is a P4 with XP. I'm not even sure a P4 has the "horsepower" to accept a Win 8.

cordoba002

Aug 29, 2004
Yes, Linux can see a Window NTFS file system. Win XP will also be able to read the file system.

Not sure what you're trying to do but you cannot boot into windows 8 with that drive on another machine without reinstalling windows. If you're only installing the drive as a second drive on a machine to access the files then you can do that. You will boot up the working machine with its OS and system drive then open the contents of the second drive you installed with Windows file explorer to access and backup your personal files. Windows will assign a drive letter to that drive other than C:. You may have to go into BIOS to save hardware changes when it detects a new drive but not for sure.

cordoba002

Aug 29, 2004
Btw. All this is assuming the drive and the motherboard you want to plug it into are compatible. Ie. You're installing a SATA drive onto a MB with SATA ports and not IDE ports.

PinkCherry Sex Toys