(Desktop) Linux: Slowing Slide to Obscurity?

danibbler

Active member
Feb 2, 2002
2,241
0
36
Toronto
Just having a quick look at netmarketshare:

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qptimeframe=M

and it seems as if Linux (referring only to the desktop) has stabilized at 0.85% for the past couple of months.

Doubt that that will last though as I suspect the iPhone OS is going to surpass it in about 3 months especially if the Verizon iPhone comes to pass.

The Mac OS is still going from strength to strength but definitely hurt by the success of Win 7.
 

onthebottom

Never Been Justly Banned
Jan 10, 2002
40,880
197
63
Hooterville
www.scubadiving.com
The old PC in the basement market is a niche apparently

OTB
 

Cruzer22

New member
May 18, 2009
457
0
0
I don't mind using linux, I think what has killed it or is killing it is too many distros. I have used a few different distros and if you don't like having to do research on why things don't work and what you need to do to fix them then you will give up and use something else.

For example I was using ubuntu and almost every update I would lose sound. After 3 hours of research I figured out that I had to go into alsamixer through terminal and toggle some sound card switch for analog / digital. Not something that most users are use to or even want to do.
 

WoodPeckr

Protuberant Member
May 29, 2002
47,080
6,212
113
North America
thewoodpecker.net
Linux always had great variety. www.Distrowatch.com lists the top 100 Distros and who knows how many others there are. I've only played around with about 6 so far and like Ubuntu, openSUSE and Fedora the best. Your sound issues are probably a hardware conflict. Linux like Windows goes onto far more PC and hardware configurations than Mac which causes these comparability issues to pop up.
 

blackrock13

Banned
Jun 6, 2009
40,049
1
0
Linux always had great variety. www.Distrowatch.com lists the top 100 Distros and who knows how many others there are. I've only played around with about 6 so far and like Ubuntu, openSUSE and Fedora the best. Your sound issues are probably a hardware conflict. Linux like Windows goes onto far more PC and hardware configurations than Mac which causes these comparability issues to pop up.
Woodie's new math; .85% is greater than 4.4 % (OSX 10.5 + OSX 10.6)

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qptimeframe=M
 

WoodPeckr

Protuberant Member
May 29, 2002
47,080
6,212
113
North America
thewoodpecker.net
Woodie's new math; .85% is greater than 4.4 % (OSX 10.5 + OSX 10.6)

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qptimeframe=M
You totally misunderstand the point being made which addressed why Linux and Windows have more compatibility issues than Mac. The reason is Mac only uses several proprietary configurations, while M$ and Linux use many many many more configs....


Point is you CAN put M$ and Linux on ANY PC but you can't put OS X on ANY PC.
 
Toronto Escorts