Amazon scam call - be careful.

Jubee

Well-known member
May 29, 2016
5,223
2,841
113
Ontario
A heads up to everyone, a friend got a call from "Amazon" claiming someone fraudulently purchased on iPhone on his account.
They got him to download AnyDesk app onto his phone, then dragged the call out walking him through this charade and I found it to be sketchy a little bit, but I didn't interrupt just yet - benefit of the doubt I guess.

They did a "dummy purchase of an online Amazon gift card for $200.00", she then told him to log onto his TD Bank account for a second time (he already did it once earlier) and that's when I thought this is bullshit.
I called Amazon itself while he was on the phone with them still and asked of they do this sort of shit and he said they don't actively call people for things like this and especially to download an app onto someone's phone.
The thing that also got me, she had remote access of his phone and she was going through his contacts, to the Amazon account, to his texts, back to the Amazon page, it made no sense.

He had to call his bank and sure enough there was the $200.00 gift card and he has to wait 7-10 days for TD to figure out this dispute and hopefully settle it in his favor.
 
  • Like
Reactions: paulhunter23

y2kmark

Class of 69...
May 19, 2002
18,935
5,380
113
Lewiston, NY
Amazon is working toward ceasing communications by phone altogether. They will send drones with postit notes...
 
  • Haha
Reactions: johnd5050

anon1

Well-known member
Aug 19, 2001
11,071
3,094
113
Tranquility Base, La Luna
I get these calls regularly.
They say there are 2 purchases on my account, $1000 for an iPhone and $400 for something else.
I always ask to talk to an account rep and stall and delay. Finally, I tell them to let the debits go thru. (I don't have an Amazon account)
The more of their time you waste, the less productive they are and they get fired.
 

Jenesis

Fabulously Full Figured
Supporting Member
Jul 14, 2020
10,843
12,056
113
North Whitby Incalls
www.jenesis.ch
I just got an email from Amazon warning people about a rise in scams before Xmas.

Stay safe from scammers this holiday season by getting to know their most common scams:

  • Order confirmation scams.These are unexpected calls/texts/emails that often refer to an unauthorized purchase and ask you to act urgently to confirm or cancel the purchase. These scammers try to convince you to provide payment or bank account information, install software to your computer/device, or purchase gift cards.

    Remember, if you received correspondence regarding an order you weren't expecting, you can verify orders by logging into your Amazon account. Only legitimate purchases will appear in your order history - and Customer Service is available 24/7 to assist.

  • Tech support scams.Scammers create fake websites claiming to provide tech support for your devices and Amazon services. Customers who land on these pages are lured to contact the scammer and fall prey to their schemes.

    Remember, go directly to the help section of our website when seeking help with Amazon devices or services. If you do use a search engine, use caution. Legitimate Amazon websites contain "amazon.ca" such as "help.amazon.ca".


Here are some important tips so that you can identify scams and keep your account and information safe:



  1. Trust Amazon-owned channels. Always go through the Amazon mobile app or website when seeking customer service, tech support, or when looking to make changes to your account.
  2. Be wary of false urgency. Scammers may try to create a sense of urgency to persuade you to do what they're asking. Be wary any time someone tries to convince you that you must act now.
  3. Never pay over the phone. Amazon will never ask you to provide payment information, including gift cards (or “verification cards”, as some scammers call them) for products or services over the phone.
 

escortsxxx

Well-known member
Jul 15, 2004
3,594
993
113
Tdot
A heads up to everyone, a friend got a call from "Amazon" claiming someone fraudulently purchased on iPhone on his account.
They got him to download AnyDesk app onto his phone, then dragged the call out walking him through this charade and I found it to be sketchy a little bit, but I didn't interrupt just yet - benefit of the doubt I guess.

They did a "dummy purchase of an online Amazon gift card for $200.00", she then told him to log onto his TD Bank account for a second time (he already did it once earlier) and that's when I thought this is bullshit.
I called Amazon itself while he was on the phone with them still and asked of they do this sort of shit and he said they don't actively call people for things like this and especially to download an app onto someone's phone.
The thing that also got me, she had remote access of his phone and she was going through his contacts, to the Amazon account, to his texts, back to the Amazon page, it made no sense.

He had to call his bank and sure enough there was the $200.00 gift card and he has to wait 7-10 days for TD to figure out this dispute and hopefully settle it in his favor.
Thephone is rooted get a new e phone destroy the old phone. the ?money theft is a diversion by ready for blackmail and worse
 

downbound123

Well-known member
Jul 10, 2017
3,935
2,531
113
I have been using call block for a couple of years and it works very well, I checked the other day and there are 126 numbers that I have blocked. there is also a feature that gives a short ring when someone calls using one of the blocked numbers then it stops after the one ring and you know the call was blocked. The majority of the numbers that I have blocked are area codes that I don't recognize.
 

poker

Everyone's hero's, tell everyone's lies.
Jun 1, 2006
7,699
6,016
113
Niagara
My best friends mother in law got this call last night. She is old and retired…. And was doing everything they asked for. Opening the bank account… reading numbers… then my friend took the call. (They did not have remote access to her phone, or anything like that.)

He knew it was a scam, but he played along. Even pretended to purchase 2 $500 iTunes cards to pay off the $1000 debt she owed Amazon. He dragged the call out. Pretended to misread numbers…. Just wasted their time.

The scam is strong this year.
 
Last edited:

escortsxxx

Well-known member
Jul 15, 2004
3,594
993
113
Tdot
I dont even answer my phone anymore. Friends and family either text me or leave a message.
The Do not Disturb button on my Android is on permanently. And block call feature is a godsent
thats so wrong
 
  • Haha
Reactions: johnd5050

squeezer

Well-known member
Jan 8, 2010
29,187
24,180
113
I get this call almost daily. I also try to drag it on and waste as much of their time as possible if I'm bored. I usually end the call by telling the female on the other end how much I want to eat her ass.
I ask them if they are wearing thongs or big granny undies after some mild flirts. I actually had one play along which was fun. I felt I should have wired her $250 LOL
 

onomatopoeia

Bzzzzz.......Doink
Jul 3, 2020
26,642
20,093
113
Cabbagetown
If you get one of these call, make sure you have a dial tone before making your next outgoing call. Sometimes part of the scam is that they try to fool you into thinking the call is completed, but they really want to know the phone number that you call next, (hoping it will be a bank or credit card company). The tone sounds can be translated into a phone number. They can then pretend to be calling from that number some other time. You're smart phone might recognize that number, and you assume the followup call is legit.

Sometimes on my landline phone I need to disconnect the jack connected to the phone to break the connection. I don't know how that works on a cell phone; I don't have one. If I'm out, I don't want people to be able to get in touch with me. Something might be urgent to them, but to me, it can wait until I'm home.
 

johnd5050

Well-known member
Jul 6, 2012
2,674
3,379
113
If you get one of these call, make sure you have a dial tone before making your next outgoing call. Sometimes part of the scam is that they try to fool you into thinking the call is completed, but they really want to know the phone number that you call next, (hoping it will be a bank or credit card company). The tone sounds can be translated into a phone number. They can then pretend to be calling from that number some other time. You're smart phone might recognize that number, and you assume the followup call is legit.

Sometimes on my landline phone I need to disconnect the jack connected to the phone to break the connection. I don't know how that works on a cell phone; I don't have one. If I'm out, I don't want people to be able to get in touch with me. Something might be urgent to them, but to me, it can wait until I'm home.
I have received such calls on my cell phone. Usually hang up and restart the phone and hope that does the trick.
 
  • Like
Reactions: xix and bazokajoe
Ashley Madison
Toronto Escorts