Terrorist Warning for Canada

Aardvark154

New member
Jan 19, 2006
53,709
3
0
It is tragic that this is so, and I hope it does not occur.

However, I'm going to be nowhere near Toronto or Niagara Falls on Canada Day - rather a very small town.
 

FAST

Banned
Mar 12, 2004
10,063
1
0
Has anybody seen the preparations being made on Ottawa,...looks like a real concern for an Islamic terrorist truck driver or two.
 
May 30, 2007
173
0
16
People at work mentioned this so I looked up an article (CP24) and actually read it to see if I had missed out on some major news:

http://www.cp24.com/news/local-security-top-of-mind-ahead-of-canada-day-celebrations-1.3482404

Some quotes:

"...all necessary measures are being taken to ensure that crowds celebrating Canada’s 150th birthday in Toronto this weekend will be kept safe, after it came to light that ISIS specifically mentioned Canada as a potential target in recent months."

"The comments come after a national security memo obtained by CTV News Tuesday noted Canada and the U.S. were explicitly named as targets by ISIS after the attack on an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England in May."

"The threat did not mention Canada Day celebrations or any particular city specifically and sources told CTV News that there are no specific or credible plots concerning Canada day that they are aware of."

"“The threat level hasn’t changed,” security expert John Thompson said. “We’re still at a medium level of threat."

So, the long and the short of it is, while the actual security memo is new, it is not based on any new information. General threats were made in May following the Manchester attack. A security memo was issued as we near Canada Day (for obvious reasons).

So no, this isn't "fake news" (ugh, such a corrosive term), and it's true we are at a standing general threat level, and issuing a security memo before such large events seems intuitive, but I find it's always beneficial to actually read articles instead of just headlines.

Unfortunately, it's a losing battle these days. I imagine most people get their news and form opinions from headlines in their social media feeds. Although forming opinions based on headlines is far from a new problem, it's exacerbated and amplified by social media.

Oh, and this was not a comment on the original poster...
 

Smallcock

Active member
Jun 5, 2009
13,647
21
38
It wouldn't surprise me if their was a terrorist attack in retaliation for that Canadian sniper shot.
 

Aliyoop

New member
Jul 5, 2016
45
0
0
My home, my car, my cubicle
Again not to detract from the problem of terrorism ..... But you have a higher probability of dying from an accident today than you do from an actual terror attack. People who are often scared of things that have a low probability of occuring really shouldn't be hobbying ... You might catch an STD, you might get robbed, you might get arrested or you might wake up in a bathtub full of ice with a kidney missing....hobbying is definately for guys like y'all. Live your life, eat right, exercise, work hard, play hard and treat people like you would like to be treated and you will be alright.
 

slowandeasy

Why am I here?
May 4, 2003
7,219
0
36
GTA
So what? You have a higher chance of dying in an accident getting to and coming back from an event, than from dying from a terrorist attack.
Atta boy, based on your logic, you have a much better chance dying of a heart attack, or cancer. So drive really fast, eat alot of fatty foods, and smoke 2 packs of cigarettes/day. No sense worrying about any risks right?
 

slowandeasy

Why am I here?
May 4, 2003
7,219
0
36
GTA
People at work mentioned this so I looked up an article (CP24) and actually read it to see if I had missed out on some major news:

http://www.cp24.com/news/local-security-top-of-mind-ahead-of-canada-day-celebrations-1.3482404

Some quotes:

"...all necessary measures are being taken to ensure that crowds celebrating Canada’s 150th birthday in Toronto this weekend will be kept safe, after it came to light that ISIS specifically mentioned Canada as a potential target in recent months."

"The comments come after a national security memo obtained by CTV News Tuesday noted Canada and the U.S. were explicitly named as targets by ISIS after the attack on an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England in May."

"The threat did not mention Canada Day celebrations or any particular city specifically and sources told CTV News that there are no specific or credible plots concerning Canada day that they are aware of."

"“The threat level hasn’t changed,” security expert John Thompson said. “We’re still at a medium level of threat."

So, the long and the short of it is, while the actual security memo is new, it is not based on any new information. General threats were made in May following the Manchester attack. A security memo was issued as we near Canada Day (for obvious reasons).

So no, this isn't "fake news" (ugh, such a corrosive term), and it's true we are at a standing general threat level, and issuing a security memo before such large events seems intuitive, but I find it's always beneficial to actually read articles instead of just headlines.

Unfortunately, it's a losing battle these days. I imagine most people get their news and form opinions from headlines in their social media feeds. Although forming opinions based on headlines is far from a new problem, it's exacerbated and amplified by social media.

Oh, and this was not a comment on the original poster...
No offence taken. It was new to me as I don't generally watch the news. Thought others might be interested.
 

fuji

Banned
Jan 31, 2005
79,936
9
0
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
is.gd
Atta boy, based on your logic, you have a much better chance dying of a heart attack, or cancer. So drive really fast, eat alot of fatty foods, and smoke 2 packs of cigarettes/day. No sense worrying about any risks right?
I suggest you wear a helmet whenever you're in public
 

Aliyoop

New member
Jul 5, 2016
45
0
0
My home, my car, my cubicle
Atta boy, based on your logic, you have a much better chance dying of a heart attack, or cancer. So drive really fast, eat alot of fatty foods, and smoke 2 packs of cigarettes/day. No sense worrying about any risks right?
I try not to insult anyone on this forum, but boy are you just begging for it sunshine! I am talking about probabilities, look up the definition of probability. For your s#!++y analogy to be proportionately applied to be a victim of terrorism you would need to go to Afghanistan or Syria then go to either Sangin or Raqqa take out an American flag and start waving it....Then sonny boy your analogy would be weighted equally.
 

slowandeasy

Why am I here?
May 4, 2003
7,219
0
36
GTA
I try not to insult anyone on this forum, but boy are you just begging for it sunshine! I am talking about probabilities, look up the definition of probability. For your s#!++y analogy to be proportionately applied to be a victim of terrorism you would need to go to Afghanistan or Syria then go to either Sangin or Raqqa take out an American flag and start waving it....Then sonny boy your analogy would be weighted equally.
I see you completely missed the point. I guess you are one of those parents who sends his kids out to play in a lightening storm and you dont really think anyone should worry about climate change
 

Aliyoop

New member
Jul 5, 2016
45
0
0
My home, my car, my cubicle
I see you completely missed the point. I guess you are one of those parents who sends his kids out to play in a lightening storm and you dont really think anyone should worry about climate change
Sigh...... Let me explain it to you in terms you may understand. Do you worry about getting killed in an airplane accident? Do you worry about choking to death on your food? Do you worry about being poisoned to death? The odds of dying in a terrorist attack in the US at least are less than the above.

As for letting my kids be kids, I grew up in the 80s, our parents let 9 year old kids go to the park, store, school, arcade, etc. ALONE!! We played with pogo sticks, skateboards, slingshots, bicycles, we climbed trees, went on walks in ravines, played by the humber, what where the odds that something was going to happen to us?!? Infinitely small.

Again, I am not brushing off terrorism, just explaining it is not worth getting worked up over. If the odds of terror still bother you, you should give up hobbying as the odds you will face health, safety and legal issues is greater
 

jcpro

Well-known member
Jan 31, 2014
24,509
6,740
113
Yeah, like hiring armed security guards to guard against something that has never happened. Ridiculous!

"including hiring armed guards"
Don't worry, our Prime Minister is well protected by people with guns. The rest of us, well, we can hold a tearful vigil, afterwards.
 

Aliyoop

New member
Jul 5, 2016
45
0
0
My home, my car, my cubicle
Don't worry, our Prime Minister is well protected by people with guns. The rest of us, well, we can hold a tearful vigil, afterwards.
If you are afraid of being injured in a terror attack, I would recommend you don't attend any vigils either, the odds of you dying in a a traffic mishap going to the vigil or returning from said vigil are greater than dying in a terror attack.
 

jcpro

Well-known member
Jan 31, 2014
24,509
6,740
113
If you are afraid of being injured in a terror attack, I would recommend you don't attend any vigils either, the odds of you dying in a a traffic mishap going to the vigil or returning from said vigil are greater than dying in a terror attack.
I would not be caught dead at any vigil. I can handle car death, but the idea of being murdered by the allahu akbar shitheads really pisses me off. BTW, I've been shot at before, a couple of times. The first time I almost shat my trousers, the second time I was no longer impressed. What are we talking about, here? The elites are not concerned with terrorism because they will never be attacked as they live behind tall walls and mean men with guns. You can cite statistics all you want, but what do they really mean to those poor assholes on the receiving end in England, for example? Tough shit? Should we be afraid? Hell no! Should we be concerned? Of course.
 

fuji

Banned
Jan 31, 2005
79,936
9
0
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
is.gd
I would not be caught dead at any vigil. I can handle car death, but the idea of being murdered by the allahu akbar shitheads really pisses me off. BTW, I've been shot at before, a couple of times. The first time I almost shat my trousers, the second time I was no longer impressed. What are we talking about, here? The elites are not concerned with terrorism because they will never be attacked as they live behind tall walls and mean men with guns. You can cite statistics all you want, but what do they really mean to those poor assholes on the receiving end in England, for example? Tough shit? Should we be afraid? Hell no! Should we be concerned? Of course.
Kooky.

By the way I think most of the victims of 9/11 would be considered elites.
 
Ashley Madison
Toronto Escorts