So….what kind of friends do I need?

jbar

Jun 4, 2006
papasmerf said:
Very often when we talk about the loss of jobs in the private sector we discuss reinventing ourself...........Pencil pushers are a dine a dozen and unless you bring in ten fold what you cost you are expendable. Start loking outside the number crunchers positions and think sales or support.
I originally came from a sales and operations background. I may very well have to go back to that.

Cheers

jbar

Jun 4, 2006
3Tees said:
Haven't read all of this in significant detail so I don't know if I'm on topic or not, but you could become self-employed as a bookkeeper. They start at about $40 and up. You could find an accountant that services small, independent businesses that require monthly or quarterly record keeping, and have that accountant put you into various businesses.

There are also various small business networking groups that meet for breakfasts every week. Get involved with those - I think that will be a source of business for you.

Don't know if bookkeeping is not up there with your skill set, but I run my own business - sometimes I do stuff that is "above me" and sometimes I do a lot of that is "below me" to make money. The challenge is running the business, which I consider to be a great task overall. So don't look at the function you are performing, look at the fact that you are running an enterprise.
I briefly thought about that, but I don't think I'm qualified to do that. And I certainly don't have the academic creditentials......I'm only part way through the CGA problem. I am currently looking at other business ventures outside of the accounting world.

Cheers and thanks

jbar

Jun 4, 2006
radius said:
[edit: oops, just realized that I duplicated some ground hunter001 and LordLoki already went over... read their posts again and meditate on them because they are bang on]

I think you need some self reflection...

1) Are you screwing the pooch on the interviews?

I work in a different field, but I find that if I can even make it to the interview my chances are really good because they already like me enough to spend a few people's time talking to me. With the number of interviews you have apparently gone on you should have gotten a job by now.

Think about it, its as if women at a bar pre-qualified you and approached *you* instead. How easy should it be to score then?

Maybe you are giving the wrong vibe to your interviewers. Maybe you're not communicating your value add to them (eg the financial analyst role). You aren't bitching out your last job are you?

2) Is one of your references fucking you?

You might need to get a friend to pose as a possible employer and find out what your references are saying about you. Especially if you used one at your last employer.

3) Are you asking for too low a salary?

The salary you posted sounds very low for the level of responsibility and for the level of specialization required. Are you applying for the right jobs and asking for market value?

4) Are you sure you want to continue in that line of work?

You are in your mid-thirties and even being in management have hit only about $55k/year. To me, that's too far away from $100k to think that you will easily make it if you follow the same career path because whatever "slot" you are in doesn't ramp up fast/high enough.

You need some kind of discontinuity to bring you to where you want. That could be changing sides (eg maybe consulting instead), changing industries (whatever you're in to banking or finance), changing location (thought about Hong Kong or Singapore? big financial industries with lots of English speakers and internationally competitive pay levels) or maybe even changing careers.

(p.s. consider resetting your expectations a bit higher too... You thought $55k was living the high life and six figures is your target? Think big! :) )

1. I don't thinking that I'm screwing up my interviews for the most part. I have received some negative feedback along the way, but I have worked on correcting those shortfalls. Being negative or bitching about things is something I've never done in an interview. However, I have been told that I was too aggressive from time to time.

2. I am on good terms with my ex-boss. The decision to lay me off did not come from my boss, but my boss' boss. He in turn was asked to make a choice by the CFO, be demoted, or get laid-off as well. He choose the latter. Also, as I had just said, it was not my ex-boss' decision to lay me off. I was told by many people that my boss was very upset that she had to let me go. So as far I can tell, things are fine in this area. But, in the accounting world, there ARE a lot of people who say one thing and do the complete opposite behind your back. There are a number of back-stabbers out there (as with any field). So who knows?

3. In terms of salary, the positions that I apply for usually disclose the salary range. In area where that is ambiguous, I always tell that I am more than happy to entertain their best offer. I always make sure that the role and market value is properly matched when applying.

4. At this point I very well may have to leave the accounting world and go back to my original career in sales/operations. I have also thought about going overseas.

I didn't mean to say that $55K was the highlife. I meant to say that my family thought I was living the highlife, since they are mostly blue-collar people. In terms of a six-digit salary-figure, I was being a bit of smart ass. But, there is no shortage of money flowing in the Bay Street area, and as I said before, a lot of people have given me impression that getting up to that level is a piece of cake. Or are those people traders (or other non-accountants)?

Cheers and thanks

jbar

Jun 4, 2006
Garrett said:
I really agree with all that you said.

jbar, I know you are venting here, but you have a definite aggressive streak running through you. Maybe that is just here, but if any of that comes through in an interview, or any attempt at "old boy's club" asides, you are toast. Corporate hiring is very PC, and any red flag will push you out the door.

My personal take is you may be overselling yourself and you should contact someone as an image consultant. You may also not be cut out for six figures and Bay Street and should be looking at smaller markets.
Now that it is the morning after my over-the-top rant, I completely agree with your comments. I originally come from sales and operational backgrounds where the environments are not very PC. Add to that fact that I am an aggressive person (and have been told so in my old accounting environments). I am looking at jobs outside of the accounting and Bay Street communities.

I have been thinking about going to career counselling, but I've never heard of an image consultant before. I'll check that out.

Thanks

jbar

Jun 4, 2006
papasmerf said:
actualy jbar reminds me of someone who say I am perfect what is wrong with everyone else?
Well, not exactly. After too many drinks, I was merely relaying what has happened to me over the past while. Even though I was an asshole in my first post, I am still allow to get mad about what has happened...I'm only human. I'm really not that big of an asshole (see my response to Lordloki above). I know that I'm not perfect, but their IS a fundamental problem here that I'm obviously not getting. After reading the various responses, maybe I have no business being in the accounting world.

Cheers

papasmerf

Oct 22, 2002
42.55.65N 78.43.73W
jbar said:
Well, not exactly. After too many drinks, I was merely relaying what has happened to me over the past while. Even though I was an asshole in my first post, I am still allow to get mad about what has happened...I'm only human. I'm really not that big of an asshole (see my response to Lordloki above). I know that I'm not perfect, but their IS a fundamental problem here that I'm obviously not getting. After reading the various responses, maybe I have no business being in the accounting world.

Cheers
Acepted.

One thing most companies want is number crunchers at the lowest cost possible.........The field might be saturated with upstarts and that means a buyers market.

jbar

Jun 4, 2006
papasmerf said:
Acepted.

One thing most companies want is number crunchers at the lowest cost possible.........The field might be saturated with upstarts and that means a buyers market.
That is is the other part of it. The guy who replaced me my old Treasury position was brought in at $10K less than what I was making (if my sources are correct). On top of the political/cultural dymanics that I'm facing, it seems like everybody and their brother is working on a recognized designation. So I'm facing massive competition. It amazes me that we are still bringing in a few hundred thousand people into this city from other countries. I guess srambling for jobs is suppose to keep us sharp.

Cheers

Herodotus

{Space for Rent}
Nov 10, 2007
... the kind that will tell you to get over your anger issues, get off your ass and go talk to people in companies you want to work for that could use someone with your skills and abilities.

How long ago were you let go? A couple of years ago? Dude, get over it and move on.

I've had offices that I worked in closed and then re-opened later without me, so what? I went and got another job. Was I mad? You bet! For about a week. I used the time off to expand my skillset, network, go to information interviews, volunteer, travel and do what I wanted to do in life.

And when I got the opportunity to land a job I wanted, I felt great.

A friend should tell you to stop wallowing, get your hustle on and get out there. And stop looking for excuses and blaming others.

A. Friend.

Questor

Sep 15, 2001
jbar, you came across as a bit of a jackass at the top of the thread, as you have noted. However, having followed the thread to the end, I do have some sympathy for your situation and I certainly don't blame you for feeling frustrated and angry. This is probably a good place to express that anger and frustration, as here you are at least an anonymous jackass.

Your job search and employment problems are way outside my area of expertise. I really have nothing that I can add to the discussion. But reading some of the other posts, I am impressed with the quality of advise you have received. And equally so with your reasoned and detailed responses.

It sounds like you are seriously considering several options, including different career path and overseas work, which are exciting opportunities. If I am not mistaken, you mentioned that you are in your mid 30s. You are at a great stage in life to be considering those options. I'd be pretty excited about looking at jobs in Hong Kong, Philipines, or Shanghai. Best of luck in whatever directions you travel. May the wind be at your back.

jbar

Jun 4, 2006
Herodotus said:
... the kind that will tell you to get over your anger issues, get off your ass and go talk to people in companies you want to work for that could use someone with your skills and abilities.

How long ago were you let go? A couple of years ago? Dude, get over it and move on.

I've had offices that I worked in closed and then re-opened later without me, so what? I went and got another job. Was I mad? You bet! For about a week. I used the time off to expand my skillset, network, go to information interviews, volunteer, travel and do what I wanted to do in life.

And when I got the opportunity to land a job I wanted, I felt great.

A friend should tell you to stop wallowing, get your hustle on and get out there. And stop looking for excuses and blaming others.

A. Friend.
Agreed. I should have worded my original post a little better. As you suggested, getting over it has been a big problem. However, I have looked in other directions. After reading the various responses/advice (which I did ask for..no matter how brutal), I've concluded my accounting career is probably over.

Cheers

jbar

Jun 4, 2006
Questor said:
jbar, you came across as a bit of a jackass at the top of the thread, as you have noted. However, having followed the thread to the end, I do have some sympathy for your situation and I certainly don't blame you for feeling frustrated and angry. This is probably a good place to express that anger and frustration, as here you are at least an anonymous jackass.

Your job search and employment problems are way outside my area of expertise. I really have nothing that I can add to the discussion. But reading some of the other posts, I am impressed with the quality of advise you have received. And equally so with your reasoned and detailed responses.

It sounds like you are seriously considering several options, including different career path and overseas work, which are exciting opportunities. If I am not mistaken, you mentioned that you are in your mid 30s. You are at a great stage in life to be considering those options. I'd be pretty excited about looking at jobs in Hong Kong, Philipines, or Shanghai. Best of luck in whatever directions you travel. May the wind be at your back.
The feedback that everybody here has given has been very valuable...I know now exactly what I should be doing about my problem.

As far as my original post goes, ya...my bad. I shouldn't drink-and-type. I guess I finally hit rock bottom during the past few months. For whatever stupid reason, I haven't been able to get past it. Oh well, time to be a man now and move on.

I've had a number of friends leave Canada, and start new careers in various other countries. I keep thinking about that.

Cheers and thanks

Brotherman

Jan 17, 2004
Have you tried applying with Canada Revenue Agency...?

If you already have and didn't receive an interview, my apologizes.

Feb 21, 2007
This has been a good read. Some interesting opinions expressed.

FWIW, I think you sound like the type of person who would be better suited to an entrepeneur type position...self employed....answer only to yourself. Nothing worse than a square peg in a round hole. At 30 years of age, you may still have several "careers" ahead of you.

I've not much more to contribute, except hang in there and good luck. And keep us posted if any of the suggestions and opinions help you get a new gig.

jbar

Jun 4, 2006
Brotherman said:
Have you tried applying with Canada Revenue Agency...?

If you already have and didn't fill in the position, my apologizes.
I've been applying to the Government (various departments) on a regular basis.

As a side note: In about a week, the CIBC National Student Centre will be sending my defaulted student-loans (they have called the loans) to the Government for collections (they guarantee these loans to the banks). Perhaps the Government can hire me to collect from myself. LOL. Irony of ironies.

Cheers

jbar

Jun 4, 2006
The Cunning Linguist said:
This has been a good read. Some interesting opinions expressed.

FWIW, I think you sound like the type of person who would be better suited to an entrepeneur type position...self employed....answer only to yourself. Nothing worse than a square peg in a round hole. At 30 years of age, you may still have several "careers" ahead of you.
After reading everyone's feedback, I'm starting to come to that conclusion.

The Cunning Linguist said:
I've not much more to contribute, except hang in there and good luck. And keep us posted if any of the suggestions and opinions help you get a new gig.
Thanks and cheers

Brotherman

Jan 17, 2004
That sucks though. I guess pay down debt from the government is the main thing, then apply with the CRA.

jbar

Jun 4, 2006
Andy Stitzer said:
1: I can't speak for the pigs, but unless your friend is a recruiter, you don't really know. It does not cost anything to ask. Unless you are going to fly, your vision would have to be pretty bad not to get in, and they can be forgiving of a bad past if it happened long enough ago, especially if you didn't go to prison and if you are honest about it. Hell they let my fat ass in the reserves, and I was almost 300 pounds, back in 91. Don't know if you don't ask.

2: Life isn't fair, nobody owes you anything, yes it sucks, but that does not change anything.

3: The door starts to close after a few months, after several years it is already closed, unless you are a Doctor, an tradesman, special ed teacher or other brutally in demand position, in which case you would not be in this situation.

4: The financial industry didn't put you in this situation, some people made a decision on the basis of what is best for them [like you would] that sucks for you. There is no collective borg like financial entity out there to screw your life. Except for those fucking Amish. ;)

5: A multi year gap in a resume is a huge signaler. For whatever reason, you have not been able to get a job for the past few years, the question everyone who closely reads your resume is going to ask is why. Actually, at this stage, I am surprised they even bother to ask. If it were me, I would go, hmm has not been able to get a job in a few years, all those other people who interviewed him saw something bad, not gonna waste my time. And really why bother, when there are 10 resumes on my desk without such a negative signal.
There are ways of hiding gaps on resumes, but I can't see a serious recruiter not being able to see through it. A "Functional" Resume screams I am hiding a gap, unless you are switching fields.
Consider also, if you have not done anything in your field, how badly has your skills eroded. What have you done to keep up, and why should an interviewer trust your word instead of just getting someone who is fresh.

Hate to be negative, but that is how I see it, from one person whose testicles are black and blue from that Dom I call Life to another.
1. Well I've explored both of those roads (millitary and police) through friends and recruiters in the field...they will not waiver on their requirements. Even though I have not full-on applied, I think my info on this is fairly accurate.

2. As much as I complained about it at first, I agree....life isn't fair. There are a lot of people in this city who are far worse off than me. That's one of the things that keep me going.

3. This is where I'm going to have to be inventive and/or switch careers. But, I'm still getting a few interviews here and there in the accounting field. People are still seeing that I can add value to the role/company.

4. In hindsight (post-venting), I agree. I chose a specialized role (external generic title: Treasury Analyst) in the accounting field, and ran into bad luck. If I obtained a Financial Analyst position at my old company instead (which I tried, but was rejected several times), which is a far more common accounting role, I would have mostly likely been hired. For example, if you go to Workopolis and do a search for "Treasury Analyst", and then "Financial Analyst", you will see what I mean.

What did the Amish ever do to you?

5. See point number 3. Also, people have natural aptitudes for certain things that they will carry for life....they will never loose those inherent skills. I have one or two of those skills. I just need to apply them, and make sure that they are at the fore-front of whatever job/career I get into next.

In all honesty, it sounds like my accounting career is over.

Cheers

jbar

Jun 4, 2006
poonhunter said:
I'm sorry but something doesn't add up here? From your positon you should have a network to source from?
Yes, I still network with people and have several sources in the "accounting world". Nothing has materialized.

I increasingly get the impression that I was lucky to even get into the beginnings of an accounting career in the first place. As several people in this thread have eluded to...I'm a square peg in a round hole. I somehow got in, but I got "kicked out", and I have been kept out since. I'm starting to look at other careers now.

Cheers

papasmerf

Oct 22, 2002
42.55.65N 78.43.73W
jbar said:
In all honesty, it sounds like my accounting career is over.

Cheers
Doesn't have to be. Many multi-national companies are looking for people of all backgrounds. Toronto may be a place to visit but every opertunity comes with a price.

jbar

Jun 4, 2006
Andy Stitzer said:
I am surprised anyone would taking anti Amish comments seriously, slamming the Amish is sort of like complaining about how bad French Cooking, British Order, Italian seduction, or Irish Beer is.
No, no, I didn't mean anything like that...I was just curious, that's all.:D

Cheers

Ashley Madison
Toronto Escorts