Scanner

blackrock13

Banned
Jun 6, 2009
40,049
1
0
Anything from Epson. I've been using them for years and not one failure. Usually get a better one and donate the older one.

What do you plan to use it for, documents, film, slides, photos?
 

The Bandit

Lap Dance Survivor
Feb 16, 2002
5,753
0
0
Anywhere there's a Strip Joint
He didn't specify, it could be a radio/CB scanner he's asking about.
 

roadhog

Astute Observer
Aug 8, 2005
3,838
1,406
113
On the highway of life
I've had an HP Officejet 5610 All-in-one for a couple years. I think scanning is the only thing I haven't done with it.
 
Feb 15, 2003
528
0
16
Deepest Darkest Woods
They're slightly more expensive, but the Fujitsu SnapScan line are awesome machines and come bundled with excellent OCR software. Just be careful if you do buy one, some models are either Mac or PC specific.
 

Never Compromised

Hiding from Screw Worm
Feb 1, 2006
3,837
39
48
Langley
It is too bad that AGFA left the consumer scanner market. The SnapScan series is one of the better consumer scanners out there. Epson are decent.

Check out VueScan for software
 

wawa

Well-known member
Jan 15, 2004
329
270
63
Thanks for the replies. I am looking for a scanner for business documents.
 

bsi

New member
May 19, 2006
959
0
0
Thanks for the replies. I am looking for a scanner for business documents.
Then I recommend you include a sheet feeder as a "must have" option. When you want to scan multiple documents into a single PDF file, it is a ton easier with a sheet feeder.

Canada Computers has a Brother laser all in one thing right now for about $150. That is what I would get if my existing printing/scanning hardware disappeared today. These things are also handy as photocopiers. At these prices, it is hard to imagine why anyone would buy a standalone scanner any more, certainly not for business documents.

Something like this: http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=34_451_454&item_id=020099 or you can pay a little more for network connectivity.
 

Never Compromised

Hiding from Screw Worm
Feb 1, 2006
3,837
39
48
Langley
If you are going to do a lot of scanning, stay away from the all in ones. They do everything OK, nothing great.

Invest in a decent scanner with document feeder and do the research on the OCR software that comes with it.
 

blackrock13

Banned
Jun 6, 2009
40,049
1
0
If you are going to do a lot of scanning, stay away from the all in ones. They do everything OK, nothing great.

Invest in a decent scanner with document feeder and do the research on the OCR software that comes with it.
+1 and then to add, if one function goes down requiring repair, all go down and you're without printer, scanner, and fax.
 

bsi

New member
May 19, 2006
959
0
0
If you are going to do a lot of scanning, stay away from the all in ones. They do everything OK, nothing great.

Invest in a decent scanner with document feeder and do the research on the OCR software that comes with it.
Well... you didn't actually recommend anything for him. A "decent scanner"? What standalone scanner with document feeder are you recommending for a guy who asked for a home scanner?

I retired my standalone 8 years ago with no regrets. There isn't any task that I (a home user) have had to sacrifice because of that. Anyone doing more complex tasks probably is not coming to terb with no specs so we are probably talking a scanning newbie here. And actually, the all in one is used more often as a photocopier than I realized until I had it. That is a hassle with separate scanners and printers.

I stand by my recommendation. What, specifically, is yours?
 

WoodPeckr

Protuberant Member
May 29, 2002
47,082
6,215
113
North America
thewoodpecker.net
If you are going to do a lot of scanning, stay away from the all in ones. They do everything OK, nothing great.

Invest in a decent scanner with document feeder and do the research on the OCR software that comes with it.
Agree with staying away from all in ones.
I use a 12 yr old Umax scanner that still makes great copies of anything needed. Check out Newegg. Newegg has great prices and many scanners there are reviewed.
 
Toronto Escorts