Remember The Band?

Flower

New member
Levon Helm is alive and well in Woodstock New York.
 

great bear

The PUNisher
Apr 11, 2004
16,163
54
48
Nice Dens
Flower, hell girl you old enough to remember those guys? I've got an old Joe Cocker album with the Band playing on it. Those cats were serious druggies! They were higher than most airplanes!
 

Flower

New member
Hehehe .....

great bear said:
Flower, hell girl you old enough to remember those guys? I've got an old Joe Cocker album with the Band playing on it. Those cats were serious druggies! They were higher than most airplanes!

I'm a fan of Classic Rock and Classic Movies too ... :p
 

Svend

New member
Feb 10, 2005
4,424
4
0
Thanks for the article, Flower. :)
That was a great group, funny how they started as simply a backing band for Hawkins and Dylan - they had far better vocalists in Levon Helm and the late soulful Richard Manuel.
I'm glad they are always preserved on records and films.
 

puckinbuff

Member
May 22, 2002
180
6
18
anywhere I hang my hat
Thanks Flower

I just happen to be listening the original Woodstock soundtrack. Just bought a new copy since my original cassettes disapeared.

Thnak goodness that music is recorded. It would be a shame if we lost that little bit of history, and some of the best music ever.
 

zydeco

Active member
Aug 16, 2003
1,493
1
38
I just watched The Last Waltz the other day - an excellent concert video!
 

chd

New member
Nov 28, 2004
231
0
0
GTA
the voice of rick d on "IT MAKES NO DIFFERINCE"
in the LAST WALTZ is great.
The Band
One of my all time fav. groups
Must go out and buy the D.V.D. now
 

chd

New member
Nov 28, 2004
231
0
0
GTA
Had The Record For Years
Saw The Movie At The Old Upton
In Toronto
Saw It Agian On Bravo Last Week
Sparked An Intrest Buying The Dvd
Love Bands The Are Real
Music And Lyricks
 

Keebler Elf

The Original Elf
Aug 31, 2001
14,832
494
83
The Keebler Factory
At first I thought this thread was about "Da Band", P. Diddy's ridiculous failed attempt at making his own Backstreet Boys...
 

chd

New member
Nov 28, 2004
231
0
0
GTA
Keebler Elf said:
At first I thought this thread was about "Da Band", P. Diddy's ridiculous failed attempt at making his own Backstreet Boys...
LOL
IS YOUR AGE TALKING ELF?
 

Ben Hogan

New member
Aug 31, 2004
1,517
2
0
There are a ton of great performances in TLW. The Staples, Van Morriosn, Paul Butterfield, Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, Dylan, Ronnie Hawkins are all superb. The camera work is excellent.

BTW, Levon & the rest of the boys lived in Woodstock in the late 60's, early 70's. That's where Big Pink & the Basement Tapes were recorded. Many members of the group liked the environment in Woodstock so it's not surprising that Levon still goes back there.

There are a couple of worthwhile books on The Band - Levon's is This Wheel's On Fire & Barney Hoskyn's wrote Across The Great Divide.
 

tsgarp101

Active member
Apr 4, 2005
312
35
28
Like Big Ben I am also a fan. Helm's book is a great read with lots of insight into the inner workings of the group and his dislike of Robbie Robertson.
Not sure if they ever patched it up, but Helm refused to attend and perform at the Juno's when The Band was elected into the Juno Hall of Fame.

Helm was a regular on the Ontario club circuit around 1979-80. Saw some great performances during my University days.
Helm performed at "Healey's" about 2 years ago. Its a shame though that he is sick and not singing anymore. He played drums that night, but there was no singing from himself, although the band he had was truly great.
 

shack

Nitpicker Extraordinaire
Oct 2, 2001
53,839
11,777
113
Toronto
Their second album, "The Band" was the first album I ever bought. They were my favorite group. I just read where Eric Clapton wanted to quit Cream to be in The Band but he knew he wouldn't fit in.

I was also at the Toronto stop of Festival Express. It was my first concert and The Band was the closing act.
 
Toronto Escorts