Inheriting stuff

Snapcat

Active member
Jan 30, 2019
78
235
33
Interested in what others have done with items that you've 'inherited' from someone else,
whether it is from a roommate who has moved out and not taken all their possessions, a previous tenant/owner that has left things behind in the house/condo or apartment.

What have you done with such things?
Obviously it depends on what it is . . . clothes-garbage, upholstered goods- garbage but what about other things?
Anyone have examples of what has been left behind by others? What did you do with this 'stuff'
 

OntGuy2010

Well-known member
Nov 19, 2017
1,701
3,109
113
REALLY depends, basically item to item!
Even when a close relative passed away years ago: this person liked certain things that we didn't, had certain habits/styles which were different, etc. So even though the relations were very good and memories still "fresh", some items were donated (books or clothes for example) / some items kept (paintings or decorations for example) / some items just thrown away!
 

xix

Time Zone Traveller
Jul 27, 2002
5,891
2,589
113
La la land
I seen people keep tax records of their parents, even after the last parent died 10 years before. Hauling it out different apartments over 10 years, then left it for a friend to throw it out. They even had clothing of their parents.

People have a disease of not throwing out dumb things.
 

MadGeek

Well-known member
Jul 17, 2011
1,041
1,036
113
I seen people keep tax records of their parents, even after the last parent died 10 years before. Hauling it out different apartments over 10 years, then left it for a friend to throw it out. They even had clothing of their parents.

People have a disease of not throwing out dumb things.
This was my Dad. He was the executor of my grandparent's estate. I ended up finding all the documents for their estate when he passed. And, my grandparents had both been dead for 15+ years. It wasn't even organized either or put away nicely. It was all sitting in a plastic shopping bag stuffed in his computer desk. It was just one more thing I had to go through to make sure he didn't have any of his documents mixed in.
 

snakeplissken

New member
Sep 28, 2026
12
13
3
I inherited a house and kept the permits from the 80’s and 90’s for building a sunroom. I also kept crystal that was from the 70’s and I believe it was made in the former YUGOslavia

some things I just don’t want to part with. These items are full of history and once belonged to people I love very much.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OntGuy2010

The Mechanic

Well-known member
Jan 5, 2007
1,205
1,352
113
I am going through the same stuff here paperwork from 20+ years ago bank statements my paper shredder is getting a good workout. Old pictures books that are falling apart I don’t know why my mom kept all that stuff. One thing I did discover and I knew about was a metal how might you said cash register box, opened it up and it’s filled with about $5-$600 US currency in coins. Yes I have sorted the ones out that our silver but the rest of them are in good condition $0.50 pieces quarters dollars. I went to the bank and got a real eye-opener they do not except American coins, they will take paper that’s not a problem so I’m basically stock getting in the car let’s see go down to Buffalo and exchange all the coinage to paper then come back and converted into Canadian what a waste. But it does bring back memories going through paperwork, the original contract that my parents signed for the house 1969 and for $25,000 you got a three-bedroom one bathroom and the property. Mind you I own the house now I bought it from my parents 2002 and my mother passed away 15 days after I will officially retired. Now it’s starting a good fight with my sister, she’s 1 of those that you just like to push in front of the bus. I must’ve put out 8 garbage bags full of shredded paper documents pictures. Clothing all went to Goodwill and diabetes Canada. Now I have to go through all the material stuff stereo equipment my dad had and I have a steam chest full of Rosenthal China plates and bowls, who would buy that stuff?
 
  • Like
Reactions: xix

LTO_3

Well-known member
Aug 27, 2004
2,030
1,991
113
Niagara Region
Went through this with family when dad died since mom passed away years before. Family was in the same town where dad lived but I was 2 hours away. There was so much stuff in the house a seller was brought in to sell all the stuff because there was so much of it. immediate family went through the house before the sellers took charge. That took days but better than us trying to do it and it saved us a lot of time. Anything that didn't sell was donated or trashed.

For The Mechanic take some pics of the Rosenthal China, front and back and find someone who will appraise it for it's value and they may also help in it's selling for a small commission or know someone who can. The older, the better, usually to get a good price especially if it's a complete set(s).

LTO_3
 
  • Like
Reactions: xix

az_playa

New member
Aug 14, 2025
21
12
3
i havent really inherited/been given much but what i do get i tend to keep as its usually sentimental nothing as big as a house or car or anything usually some smaller stuff like jewellery or religious knick knacks
 
  • Like
Reactions: OntGuy2010
Toronto Escorts