La Villa Spa

Bryan McCabe SUCKS

T-1000

Nov 25, 2005
Plain and simple.....Bryan McCabe sucks big time. He is a waste of 6 million dollars the leafs are paying him. Everytime he touches the puck it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Take tonight's game against Nashville for example. The leafs have just scored to make it 3-2. They managed to kill off a penalty with 1 minute left in the game and goalie is pulled. Momentum is now back on the Leafs side. The puck is dumped in Nashville's zone. The puck was then shot around towards McCabe side around the blue line. Not only was he not able to keep the puck inside the zone but he somehow lose handle of the puck and lost the race to the puck and Nashville ends up scoring into the open net.

He is the highest paid Leaf defender yet he plays like a recent call up from the minors.

Neverenuff$

Sep 10, 2003
Whereever I am now
Kathleen said:
Terrible night for calls, especially the one on Sundin causing a 2 man disadvantage.

What the call when Sundin Punched the Pred after the whistle, over the linesman's shoulder right in front of the ref?.. sorry but the ref was embarrased into having to make that call...As Captain (and "best" player).. that was pretty undisciplined ...

Or do you mean the call on Arnott for interference, for standing where the leaf player decided to Fall ? :)

as for sitting McGabe .. yes indeed High payed or not go with whats working . Look at Ottawa Emery is playing and Gerber is not $$$'s on the Bench equalled points in the standings....

jimmyt

Jan 31, 2005
Completely different from the previous 5 games.....they played undisciplined and took a lot of stupid penalties....why? Nashville has to be the fastest team I have seen this year. I get the Hockey News and read about them, and the Centre Ice package, but this was the first time I have seen them this year....man , they are FAST!! You cough up the puck, they have it halfway down the ice on the transition before you turn around.

When you are being pressed consistently by a team with speed, penalties occur becuase you are constantly out of position and you try to get back into position by holding your man up........

To quote Sundin himself "we played like shit"

BUT, a bump in the road....I still think they have turned a corner and the run to end season will be a good one.......

Mar 19, 2006
Kathleen said:
Terrible night for calls, especially the one on Sundin causing a 2 man disadvantage.
The holding penalty was a cheap one with just over 2 minutes left to play.

Most of the rest of the calls though were because the Buds couldn't keep up to the Predators, IMO.

It's looking to me like it will be another year of playoffs, sans the Leafs.

moneytalks

Jul 3, 2003
a dimentia you will never reach
Spiker said:
It sure is! We'll learn a lot about this team through that game. It will be interesting to see how they bounce back from this loss to the Preds. They need to bring it all on Saturday as the Pens seem to thrive on these CBC HNIC broadcasts, Crosby/Malkin et all love the exposure.
I've been saying it for yeeeaaarrrs! When the Leafs play at home on Saturday nights the tv audience is huge and all these visiting team superstars play extra hard because they know that their families and friends are watching them. Everyone plays harder against Toronto on HNIC. As far as last night goes,they were up against one of,if not, the top team in the league,and Nashville does have the speed necessary to make the big plays. Also,too many penalities taken,0 for 8 on the powerplay:rolleyes: and the Leafs were terrible in the faceoff circle. All these ''little'' factors won't win you games against top teams. I really didn't expect them to beat Nashville,even though they have played quite well recently and as long as they win the games in their conference,I'm sure they'll grab a playoff spot this year. It's close as far as total points go right now between Montreal,Ottawa,Pitt,Carolina,Tampa and the Leafs.

Vov76

Go Leafs, Go !!!!
Jan 15, 2006
Mississauga
T-1000 said:
Momentum is now back on the Leafs side. The puck is dumped in Nashville's zone. The puck was then shot around towards McCabe side around the blue line. Not only was he not able to keep the puck inside the zone but he somehow lose handle of the puck and lost the race to the puck and Nashville ends up scoring into the open net.
He's done it so many times this season I'm not even paying attention anymore. Almost every time Leafs pull their goalie McCabe can't make a pass or he can't keep the puck inside the zone.

eric42

Jul 5, 2003
McCabe reminds me of Jim McKenny and Brian Glennie in the 70's for those who remember. These guys had huge potential but you would hear an audible groan from the crowd when they passed it up the middle to get it out of the zone. Not much obstruction back in those days, so it was easy pickin's for anyone with speed to scoop up a freebie and fire one in on those skinny goalies of yesteryear.

Mr.420

No
Jun 26, 2004
McCabe is one of the worst signings in Leaf History. Kubina is not that far behind. Is it me or is it every time I see Kubina, his helmet is borderline over his eyes? Both players are over 6 ft and play like there 5'8. When McCabe is on the ice, its a given that he will not clear the zone in his own end cleanly, on the powerplay 50/50 chance he will hicup the puck and thus casuing to turn around and reset. I told my friends and they thought I was crazy for saying this but, they should of traded him right before the Olympics. They would have gotten at least a 1st rounder and avoided this waste of contract. Every time I watch the game with my friends and McCabe is on the ice, they look and shake there heads. They knew I was right, and I tell them, watch when he is on the ice, he will give up the puck, cause a turnover and a goal is scored. Now they listen, maybe its because I am kicking ass in our hockey pool.

Food for thought. McCabe and Kubina, play like have eggs in there pants get paid over 12 mill combined. Brenden Witt and Jay McKee, who I consider road warriors cause they cause fear in opposing players, combined make just over 6 mil. Leafs missed the boat on this one. I would rather have Witt and Mckee. Leafs don't need more offense form the defense core, they need wingers to play with Mats!

Anways, I am a Leaf fan through thick and thin, but watching McCabe and Kubina play makes me want to throw my beer bottle through the TV.

When the Leafs played Vancouver in early Jan. I called 4 goals against the Leafs. Yup, you guessed it, McCabe was on the ice for all 4.

Leafs are in a hole cap wise. If I were gonna over pay a player, Tucker would of been the player. At least when he plays, you know where you stand with him. Plus he has toned down his crazy image and now is a hot commodity amongst possible suitors at the trade deadline.

A while back, McCabe was miked during a game. Picture this. Leafs were winning, just over 2 minutes to go. McCabe was quoted..."ok boys...play smart...lets go play smart" Ya you waste of Leaf jersey thats why you were sitting on the bench and not on the ice. I found that quote quite ironic. Man I wish I had platinum seats just once behind the Leaf bench or near it, McCabe would feel my rath. I would probably get kicked out!!!

T-1000

Nov 25, 2005
Mr.420 said:
McCabe is one of the worst signings in Leaf History. Kubina is not that far behind. Is it me or is it every time I see Kubina, his helmet is borderline over his eyes? Both players are over 6 ft and play like there 5'8. When McCabe is on the ice, its a given that he will not clear the zone in his own end cleanly, on the powerplay 50/50 chance he will hicup the puck and thus casuing to turn around and reset. I told my friends and they thought I was crazy for saying this but, they should of traded him right before the Olympics. They would have gotten at least a 1st rounder and avoided this waste of contract. Every time I watch the game with my friends and McCabe is on the ice, they look and shake there heads. They knew I was right, and I tell them, watch when he is on the ice, he will give up the puck, cause a turnover and a goal is scored. Now they listen, maybe its because I am kicking ass in our hockey pool.

Food for thought. McCabe and Kubina, play like have eggs in there pants get paid over 12 mill combined. Brenden Witt and Jay McKee, who I consider road warriors cause they cause fear in opposing players, combined make just over 6 mil. Leafs missed the boat on this one. I would rather have Witt and Mckee. Leafs don't need more offense form the defense core, they need wingers to play with Mats!

Anways, I am a Leaf fan through thick and thin, but watching McCabe and Kubina play makes me want to throw my beer bottle through the TV.

When the Leafs played Vancouver in early Jan. I called 4 goals against the Leafs. Yup, you guessed it, McCabe was on the ice for all 4.

Leafs are in a hole cap wise. If I were gonna over pay a player, Tucker would of been the player. At least when he plays, you know where you stand with him. Plus he has toned down his crazy image and now is a hot commodity amongst possible suitors at the trade deadline.

A while back, McCabe was miked during a game. Picture this. Leafs were winning, just over 2 minutes to go. McCabe was quoted..."ok boys...play smart...lets go play smart" Ya you waste of Leaf jersey thats why you were sitting on the bench and not on the ice. I found that quote quite ironic. Man I wish I had platinum seats just once behind the Leaf bench or near it, McCabe would feel my rath. I would probably get kicked out!!!
Well said. I couldn't agree with you more in regards to McCabe. Everytime he touches the puck it is a disaster waiting to happen. The only reason why he has been able to rack up all the points is due in largely to his defense partner Tomas Kaberle. He makes so many high risk plays and 99% of the time gets bailed out by Kaberle. He is so one dimensional. He use to have a signature move......the infamous "Can Opener" move that he used quite frequently before the rule changes but has since been taken out. Also on the power play, his one dimensional slap shot has not been as effective because teams around the league know how to block it. As for Kubina, I will save my critics on him after a full season. So far he has been mediocre at best thanks in part to him being paired with Kaberle again.

I don't know how the leafs defense will hold up without Kaberle. He is their heart and soul on the blueline.

As for the McCabe signing. I would've let McCabe go as a free agent and use the money to sign Ed Jovanovski. His point totals are very much in line with those of McCabe's, plus his physical play in the defensive zone makes him much more valuable.

gladheateher

Feb 13, 2004
mighty Leafs Nation
McCabe and Kubina are brutal JFJ signings. What I fear is that the Leafs wont be able to afford to keep kaberle when his contract is done, because too much money is tied up in pylons and their wont be enough cap space to keep him , but JFJ will probably get another contract extension , so he'll be around to fuck things up for years to come :mad:

Mr.420

No
Jun 26, 2004
If anything, fans should boo him out of town, just like they did with Murphy years back. I counting the days for that to happen. Then maybe, he would waive the no trade clause, and he can go back to Long Island and rest in peace. I would practically give him up for nothing if NYI or NYR would take his overpriced ass off our hands. The guy is a chump. When was the last time he dropped the gloves. I remember when he 1st came here, totally different player. I thought, finally someone on the D with some guts and balls who can kick ass once in a while if need be. Now, he hears "woooooooosh" as players go by him on the boards, no contact, nothing. I wish I had the skills and physical attributes he had, I would make life miserable for opposing wingers. In front of the net, I would make sure they are at least 2-3 feet from the crease, and make sure they know I am there.

In a perfect world I wish this would happen:

McCabe is so fed up and the fans boo him out town.
Raycroft stands up and smashes his stick every once in while when McCabe lets opposing players waltz right in with out any type of physical presence.
Finally, JFJ goes up to him and says...."Bryan....christ on a cross man...you make me sick! I know, you know and everyone knows what a terrible mistake it was bringing you back. Look at your game, your really don't have one. How about you save some face and waive your no trade clause and make everyone and most importantly your team mates happy by just saying yes to the no trade. You want to go back home and play on most boring part of North America, we'll trade you there. We have a bag of pucks coming the other way for you, whaddda you say chump?"

Few things can happen. He agrees because he is totally appauled management actually came out and says this. Wait unitl people start threating him from the stands and boo his ass everytime he touches the puck. Or maybe, slight chance here, his game improves to which he earns back the respect of fans.

Another classic moment. I think it was game 6 in Philly before the lock out. Leafs controlling the puck in Philly zone, the puck is cycled to the point, ooooooooooooops, hicup!! The puck literally jumps over his stick and the Flyers score ont he rush foward!! Ohhhh my head!! Same thing happend to him in the Olympics, that why they used him say what max 8 minutes per game. He looked like a never played defense before. What am I saying, he never did!

T-1000

Nov 25, 2005
Kaberle is signed longterm

gladheateher said:
McCabe and Kubina are brutal JFJ signings. What I fear is that the Leafs wont be able to afford to keep kaberle when his contract is done, because too much money is tied up in pylons and their wont be enough cap space to keep him , but JFJ will probably get another contract extension , so he'll be around to fuck things up for years to come :mad:
If I am not mistaken, Kaberle was signed to a 5yr extension before last season ended. He signed a 5yr deal for around 20-25 million US.

dollastove

Dec 13, 2006
God knows
yeah karbele isnt leaving the leafs anytime soon (he wants to play as a Leafs, just like Tucker, negotiations are really easy), and neither is mccabe rofl, but the latter isnt leaving because mr. JFJ gave him NMC and NTC, ouch!

iam0234

Aug 19, 2002
Toronto
Agreed 100%. McCabe is terrible and is a defensive and financial burden for the Leafs. The mistake has already been made - what can we do about it? Falling short of booing him out of his no-trade clause, Leafs should play him as a 4th line checker and use him at the blue line during power plays only. Leafs have several young prospects who could play much better defense at 1/5 of his salary (Harrison, Wozenski, etc.)
Even if he is willing to waive his no-trade clause, it is doubtful that any team would be stupid enough to take him unless he'd significantly drop his salary as well, which is unlikely. There is only one JFJ; unfortunately, he is Leafs GM.
A 6 million dollar 4th liner is the most expensive ever in the history of NHL. But a 6 million dollar defensive liability is and will be more costly to the Leafs if they want to advance.

T-1000

Nov 25, 2005
Well unless he waives his no trade clause, leafs are stuck with him for the next 5yrs. Just goes to show one bad signing after another by JFJ. Pre-lockout JFJ signed Belfour to a 2yr contract extension with an option for a 3rd year for an avg salary of around 4 million US/season. After the lockout ended JFJ was heavily criticized for this signing. What happens a year later, he inks McCabe to a 5yrs extension at 6 mil US/season, Kubina for 4yrs 20 mil US/season, Hal Gill to a 3yr contract. They would've been good signings in the pre-lockout NHL, but in today's fast paced/up tempo/lots of speed NHL, big and slow defensemen are not as effective anymore. Meanwhile they've got an abundance of young and hungry defensemen (White, Colaiacovo, Bell, Wozniewski, Kronwall, Harrison) ready to crack the NHL line-up.

Final parting shot at JFJ, you cannot keep buying useless and ineffective talent year in and year out. Use the talent that you have on hand.

Mr.420

No
Jun 26, 2004
Again!!!!!!!!!!

McCabe was on the ice when Staal walked right in and scored the OT winner!!

I rather him score 40-50 points and play average defense then score 60-70 and a minus -10. If and when the Leafs trade for someone, they will be sending guys like white, harrison, woezinski over in the trades. What a waste, with some seasoning playing valuable minutes at the NHL, they can be solid defense men. But they cant cause McCabe is on for 28+ plus mins a game. Simply ridiculous!!!

Mr.420

No
Jun 26, 2004
Again!!!!!!!!!!

McCabe was on the ice when Staal walked right in and scored the OT winner!!

I rather him score 40-50 points and play average defense then score 60-70 and a minus -10. If and when the Leafs trade for someone, they will be sending guys like white, harrison, woezinski over in the trades. What a waste, with some seasoning play valuable at the NHL value. But they cant cause McCabe is on for 28+ plus mins a game. Simply ridiculous!!!

boffo

Dec 27, 2002
GTA
MLSE does'nt care about whether they ice a winning team. THey just like counting the cash.
Quote from Steve Simmons on Sunday:
" According to a report, the Leafs ticket revenue in the first half of the season was equal to the revenue of Nashville, Atlanta, Chicago and Carolina, combined."

The thing that bothers me the most about Ferguson is that I don't get the feeling he knows how to evaluate talent and how to negotiate contracts. I've got the feeling he's going to get fleeced by Darcy Tucker next.
Another Simmons quote:
"Whichever team ends up with Darcy Tucker will be overpaying, no matter what other values he brings: He has six goals at even strength which ties him with 49 others for 178th in the NHL "

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Simmons/2007/02/11/3587635-sun.html

In a salary cap environment it is triple important that you have a GM who knows how to evaluate talent and what salary to pay because there is no way you can buy your way out of the meathead decisions your GM makes.
McCabe's no trade clause is irrelevant since there is no GM in the league even remotely stupid enough to take that contract on.

new2game

Feb 15, 2004
Simmons is a MORON!!!

boffo said:
Another Simmons quote:
"Whichever team ends up with Darcy Tucker will be overpaying, no matter what other values he brings: He has six goals at even strength which ties him with 49 others for 178th in the NHL "

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Simmons/2007/02/11/3587635-sun.html.

who the fuck cares when he scores his goals...he definitely scores them, brings an abrasive side to his game....is reasonably responsible defensively. Do I think the numbers from his camp are high??...yes...but to start comparing him to he 178th best scorer in the NHL is assinine...Tucker still has some miles left in him..has shown he has more than one element to his game, and makes the team around him better...and really gets under the skin of the opposition. In a league where special teams is so important, Tucker is a very valueable commodity. You think the Leafs would have been 0-8 on the power play against the Pen with Tucker in the lineup??...I think they were 0-5 in their previous game against Nashville

He not only scores on the power play, but because he does, it opens up ice for others when they try to cover the down low play. Anyone see he co relationship between Tucker being out and the defense scoring on the team being down??, and the power play being ineffective??...there is no doubt there are a lot of teams that will pay Tucker 3.5 mill over 4 yrs. If the leafs are smart, tehy will come to the table with a decent offer and get him signed....or at least trade him for some good player back the other way

Ashley Madison
Toronto Escorts