update - USSC invalidates Trump's tariffs 6:3

mandrill

monkey
Aug 23, 2001
89,173
141,132
113
US House passes symbolic vote to end Trump's fentanyl-related tariffs on Canada


WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump took aim at Canada Wednesday evening as the U.S. House of Representatives voted against his tariffs on America's northern neighbour — a largely symbolic move that shows some wavering Republican support for the president's massive trade agenda.


"Canada has taken advantage of the United States on Trade for many years. They are among the worst in the World to deal with, especially as it relates to our Northern Border," Trump posted on social media Wednesday night as results of the vote became clear. "TARIFFS make a WIN for us, EASY. Republicans must keep it that way!"

Six Republicans joined Democrats in a bipartisan push against Trump's so-called fentanyl emergency at the U.S.-Canada border, which the president used as justification for economywide tariffs against America's northern neighbour last year.

While Wednesday's motion passed, it did not get the two-thirds majority it would need to become veto-proof. The resolution next goes to the Senate and both chambers need to approve the tariff rollbacks before it's sent to Trump for the president's signature — or more likely veto.

Canada is also being hammered by separate tariffs on industries like steel, aluminum, automobiles and lumber that Trump enacted through a different presidential power.


The bipartisan support does demonstrate Republican uncertainty around Trump's erratic trade policies directed towards Canada. Democrat Rep. Gregory Meeks, who introduced the bill, said Canada isn't a threat.

"Canada is our friend. Canada is our ally," Meeks said.

Trump declared the emergency in order to use the International Economic Emergency Powers Act, also called IEEPA, to hit Canada with 35 per cent tariffs. Those duties do not apply to goods compliant under the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement on trade, known as CUSMA.

Meeks said U.S. government data shows a minuscule amount of fentanyl is seized at the northern border compared to the border with Mexico.

In response to Trump's stated concerns about fentanyl, Ottawa boosted border security measures, with more boots on the ground and drones in the air. Canadian police forces have widely promoted drug seizures in news releases.


During debate in the House earlier Wednesday, Brian Mast, a Republican from Florida, pointed to those drug seizures in Canada and Ottawa's appointment of a "fentanyl czar" as evidence the problem is real. He also said Canada hasn't done enough to crack down on drugs.

"Democrats don't recognize that there is a crisis that it is killing thousands of Americans," Mast said.

The Senate has voted repeatedly to overturn the fentanyl duties but a procedural rule allowed the House to avoid any votes on Trump's tariff agenda. That ended Tuesday, when three Republicans joined Democrats to stop the extension of the procedural rule.

While the U.S. Constitution reserves power over taxation and tariffs for Congress, Trump's duties have so far faced little public resistance from Republican lawmakers, despite concerns shared behind closed doors among traditional GOP free-traders.


IEEPA has become Trump's favourite tool to impose or threaten tariffs — but its future is uncertain.

The U.S. Supreme Court is still weighing whether Trump can continue using IEEPA. The conservative-led U.S. Supreme Court appeared skeptical during a hearing on IEEPA in November.

Rep. Adrian Smith, a Republican for Nebraska, said Wednesday's vote should be delayed until after America's top court rules on the IEEPA tool. He said Canada is a friend but Trump's use of duties has pushed Ottawa to have difficult conversations about trade irritants. He cited the example of the digital services tax, which Prime Minister Mark Carney paused to appease the president last year.

Trump's inconsistent use of tariffs and his claims that Canada should become a U.S. state are hurting American businesses, multiple Democrats told the House. Many also pointed to the president's Monday social media post threatening to stall the opening of the Gordie Howe International Bridge connecting Ontario to Michigan.


Rep. Linda Sanchez, a Democrat for California, said claims that Canada is a fentanyl threat are not borne out by facts. She pointed out that CUSMA was negotiated during the first Trump administration and ratified by Congress.

CUMSA is up for mandatory review this year and Trump repeatedly targeting Canada has indicated it could be a lengthy and contentious negotiation.

Responsible governments follow the law on trade agreements and don't negotiate through weird social media tantrums, Sanchez said.

"It's just reckless and frankly, it's bizarre."

The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, which represents around 600,000 workers in both countries, said "tariffs are already causing serious disruption to the deeply integrated U.S and Canadian aerospace and manufacturing sectors."

"Indiscriminate tariffs against allies are bad for both U.S. and Canadian workers," International President Brian Bryant Canadian Territorial Vice-President David Chartrand said in a joint statement Wednesday.


"Our industries are connected, and any attack on our partnership only leads to job losses, higher prices, and economic instability across North America."

Wednesday's vote was also celebrated by Ontario Premier Doug Ford, who posted on social media that it was an "important victory with more work ahead."

"Let’s end the tariffs and together build a more prosperous and secure future," Ford said.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 11, 2026.

— With files from The Associated Press

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press
 

mandrill

monkey
Aug 23, 2001
89,173
141,132
113
US judge blocks Pentagon's effort to punish Senator Mark Kelly


WASHINGTON, Feb 12 (Reuters) - A U.S. judge on Thursday blocked the Pentagon from reducing Senator Mark Kelly's retired military rank and pension pay because he urged troops to reject unlawful orders.

The preliminary ruling by U.S. District Judge Richard Leon in Washington is the latest setback in court for President Donald Trump's historic campaign of vengeance against his perceived political enemies, which has drawn push back from judges across the ideological spectrum.


Kelly, a retired Navy captain and former astronaut who represents Arizona in the U.S. Senate, was one of six congressional Democrats who appeared in a November video that reminded service members of their duty to reject unlawful orders. In the clip, Kelly stated: “Our laws are clear: You can refuse illegal orders.”

Kelly’s remarks came as more Democrats were criticizing Trump’s decisions to deploy the National Guard in U.S. cities and authorize lethal strikes on boats suspected of smuggling drugs from Latin America.

The Republican president, in a social media post, called the video "SEDITIOUS BEHAVIOR, punishable by DEATH."

U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth issued a censure letter on January 5, asserting that Kelly had "clearly intended to undermine good order and military discipline" in violation of military rules that apply to both active and retired personnel.


Trump administration lawyers had urged the judge to dismiss Kelly's lawsuit, calling it a "quintessential matter of military discipline not within the Judiciary’s purview" in a recent court filing.

The Trump administration has also called the lawsuit premature, saying Kelly has not yet been formally censured and should have responded to Hegseth's allegations through administrative channels.

(Reporting By Jan Wolfe; Editing by Bill Berkrot)
 

mandrill

monkey
Aug 23, 2001
89,173
141,132
113
Judge guns for ICE boss


A federal judge in Minnesota has ordered Acting Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Director Todd Lyons to personally appear in court to explain why he should not be held in contempt for failing to comply with court orders related to immigration enforcement operations in the state.


An ‘extraordinary step’
Chief U.S. District Judge Patrick J. Schiltz described the order as an “extraordinary step,” citing what he said is the Department of Homeland Security’s failure to follow “dozens of court orders” during their Minnesota occupation.

The enforcement actions have sparked unrest in the state and have been linked to incidents in which two U.S. citizens were killed by federal agents.

Violating court orders


Schiltz said the violations stem largely from the Trump administration’s handling of immigration bond hearings.

In one case, involving a petitioner identified as Juan T.R., the court ordered on January 14 that the individual receive a bond hearing within seven days.

Attorneys later informed the court that the petitioner remained detained several weeks after the order was issued.


The judge’s decision
“The practical consequence of respondents’ failure to comply has almost always been significant hardship to aliens (many of whom have lawfully lived and worked in the United States for years and done absolutely nothing wrong): The detention of an alien is extended, or an alien who should remain in Minnesota is flown to Texas, or an alien who has been flown to Texas is released there and told to figure out a way to get home,” Schiltz wrote.

He also said the court had been “extremely patient” with the Trump administration despite its decision to send thousands of agents into the state without preparing for the resulting legal challenges.

“Respondents have continually assured the court that they recognize their obligation to comply with court orders, and that they have taken steps to ensure that those orders will be honored going forward,” he wrote. “Unfortunately, though, the violations continue. The court’s patience is at an end.”

DHS responds


DHS Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin criticized the order, calling Schiltz “just another activist judge who is clearly more concerned about politics than the safety of the Minnesotans.”

“Does this judge really think Director Lyons should take time out of his day leading ICE to target the worst of the worst criminal illegals including murderers, rapists, p********* and terrorists into our country to testify at a hearing for one illegal alien’s removal proceedings? We will not let anything slow us down from removing criminal illegal aliens from our streets.” she added.
 

mandrill

monkey
Aug 23, 2001
89,173
141,132
113
Top US prosecutor appointed to New York Albany office by judges is immediately ousted


ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — A lawyer appointed by judges to be the U.S. attorney for northern New York was immediately fired by the Justice Department in the latest clash between the Trump administration and the judiciary over the process for selecting top federal prosecutors.

Donald Kinsella spent less than a day in the position before he was dismissed on Wednesday. Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche announced his firing in a social media post.


“Judges don't pick U.S. Attorneys,” the president does, Blanche wrote, adding, “You are fired, Donald Kinsella.”

It was unclear Thursday who was supervising the office, which handles federal prosecutions and other legal matters for a broad swath of upstate New York.

President Donald Trump's pick to lead the office, John Sarcone, is among a number of interim U.S. attorneys installed by the administration who judges have found to be unlawfully serving in their positions.

U.S. law normally requires senate confirmation for U.S. attorneys, and only allows people to serve in the position without that confirmation for limited time periods. Under Trump, however, the Justice Department has sought to leave unconfirmed prosecutors in their positions indefinitely, often through novel personnel maneuvers that courts have later ruled to be improper.

In December, Alina Habbaresigned as the top federal prosecutor for New Jersey after an appeals court said she had been serving in the post unlawfully.


Lindsey Halligan, who pursued indictments against a pair of Trump’s adversaries, left her position as an acting U.S. attorney in Virginia after a judge concluded in November that her appointment was unlawful and that indictments she brought against New York Attorney General Letitia James and former FBI Director James Comey must be dismissed.

U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi appointed Sarcone to serve as the interim U.S. attorney for the Northern District of New York in March 2025. But when his 120-day term elapsed, judges in the district declined to keep him in the post.

Sarcone stayed on anyway, and while in his position pursued another investigation of James, a Democrat and longtime Trump foe.

Last month, Judge Lorna G. Schofield in New York City blocked subpoenas requested by Sarcone in connection with that investigation, saying he was not lawfully serving as U.S. attorney and that any “of his past or future acts taken in that capacity are void or voidable as they would rest on authority Mr. Sarcone does not lawfully have.”


On Tuesday, Sarcone changed his title to “first assistant U.S. attorney." That prompted federal judges in the district on Wednesday to try and fill the apparent vacancy in the top spot by appointing Kinsella.

A woman who answered the phone at the federal prosecutor’s office in Albany responded to a request to speak with Kinsella by saying: “Technically, he’s not employed with our office anymore.”

Messages were left for Kinsella at Whiteman Osterman & Hanna LLP, the law firm where he is a senior counsel and where a web site describes him as a 40-year veteran of “complex criminal and civil litigation over a ”distinguished career.”

An email sent to Sarcone seeking comment on the latest developments was not immediately returned. His office declined to comment. A message sent to Justice Department headquarters in Washington wasn't immediately returned.


Those who clicked on “Meet the U.S. Attorney” on the website for the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Northern District of New York on Thursday were greeted with the “staff profile” page for Sarcone, though his title is now “First Assistant U.S. Attorney.”

___

Neumeister reported from New York City.

Michael Hill And Larry Neumeister, The Associated Press
 

mandrill

monkey
Aug 23, 2001
89,173
141,132
113
Trump’s midterm election plan advances as House passes SAVE America Act


The US House of Representatives has approved a sweeping election overhaul backed by President Donald Trump, sending the legislation to the Senate where its prospects remain uncertain.

Tight House vote
Lawmakers passed the 32-page SAVE America Act on Wednesday by a vote of 218-213. Republicans voted unanimously in favor, while all but one Democrat opposed it.

Rep. Henry Cuellar of Texas was the only Democrat to support the bill.

The legislation would require individuals to present documentary proof of US citizenship in person when registering to vote in federal elections. Acceptable documents would include a passport or birth certificate.


It also mandates photo identification for in-person voting and requires voters to submit a copy of an eligible ID when requesting and casting mail-in ballots.



Republican support
Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., defended the bill as a matter of fairness and security.

“It’s just common sense. Americans need an ID to drive, to open a bank account, to buy cold medicine, to file government assistance,” Johnson said. “So why would voting be any different than that?”

Republicans point to polling showing broad public support for voter ID laws. A Pew Research Center survey last August found that 83% of US adults favor requiring government-issued photo identification to vote.

Democratic opposition
Democrats argue the proposal would restrict access to the ballot and is unnecessary, noting that voting by noncitizens is already illegal and rare. Current law requires voters to attest to their citizenship under penalty of criminal prosecution.

House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., called the bill “a desperate effort by Republicans to distract.”

“The so-called SAVE Act is not about voter identification, it is about voter suppression,” Jeffries said.

Democrats have also raised constitutional concerns, citing provisions that give states authority over the administration of federal elections.


Senate hurdles
The bill now moves to the Senate, where Republicans hold 53 seats. Several GOP senators have expressed reservations.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, said she does not support federal mandates on elections, recalling Republican opposition to similar proposals in 2021. Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said she supported an earlier version but has concerns about the revised bill.

Even if the measure secures a simple majority, it would need 60 votes to overcome a Democratic filibuster. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said the proposal is “dead on arrival.”



Senate Majority Leader John Thune, R-S.D., said Republicans are holding a “robust” discussion but acknowledged there are not enough votes to eliminate the filibuster.

Sources: NBC News, Pew Research Center
 

jalimon

Well-known member
Jan 10, 2016
8,488
9,300
113
Canada is a minor player. Of course tariff on Canada hurts the US more than Canada.

Trump only runs by ego. Complete non-sense. As he is a complete flaky, dumb pedo idiot bully.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mandrill
Toronto Escorts