Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Europe is now the ‘epicenter’ of the coronavirus pandemic, WHO says

  1. #1
    Never Been Justly Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Hooterville
    Posts
    40,372

    Europe is now the ‘epicenter’ of the coronavirus pandemic, WHO says

    Travel ban just in time...

    Europe is now the ‘epicenter’ of the coronavirus pandemic, WHO says

    Europe has become the new epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic as cases in China slow and the deadly coronavirus runs through Italy and nearby countries, World Health Organization officials said Friday.

    “More cases are now being reported [in Europe] every day than were reported in China at the height of its epidemic,” WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a news conference at the organization’s Geneva headquarters.

    WHO officials declared COVID-19 a global pandemic on Wednesday as the virus spreads rapidly across the world from Asia to Europe, the Middle East and now parts of the United States.

    “When the virus is out there, the population has no immunity and no therapy exists, then 60% to 70% of the population will be infected,” German Chancellor Angela Merkel told a news conference in Berlin on Wednesday, according to Reuters. The country has a population of more than 82 million.

    Emerging from Wuhan, China, less than three months ago, the virus has spread to more than 132,000 people across 123 countries and territories with 5,000 people dead, WHO officials said. The number of new cases in China has slowed to a trickle, with 26 new cases reported Thursday, according to WHO data, while cases in Europe have exploded overnight.

    “China has certainly peaked and there is certainly a decline but there’s always a chance” that could rise again, said Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit.

    Italy currently has the most cases outside of China with at least 15,113 infections, followed by Spain at 4,334, Germany at 3,156 and France at 2,882, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Other countries in Europe are seeing cases soar. Switzerland currently has 1,125 cases, followed by Sweden at 809, the Netherlands at 804 and Denmark at 788.

    The United States had at least 1,701 cases as of Friday morning, according to Hopkins.

    President Donald Trump announced a ban on travel from Europe earlier this week. The ban excludes some countries and will be in effect for the next 30 days.

    Tedros said countries need to take a comprehensive approach to try to fight the pandemic.

    “Not testing alone, not contact tracing alone, not quarantine alone, not social distancing alone, do it all,” he said. “Any country that looks at the experience of other countries with large epidemics and thinks that won’t happen to us is making a deadly mistake, it can happen to any country.”

    Social distancing only slightly “slows down the virus so your health system can cope,” said Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of WHO’s health emergencies program.

    “The virus will always get you if you don’t move quickly,” Ryan said, discussing lessons health officials learned from the Ebola outbreak.


    At the bottom of all the tributes paid to democracy, is the little man, walking into the little booth, with a little pencil, making a little cross on a little bit of paper - no amount of rhetoric or voluminous discussion can possibly diminish the overwhelming importance of the point.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by onthebottom View Post
    Travel ban just in time.
    Essentially unnecessary, as most countries in Europe have closed their borders. But better late than never.

    I predict that USA will be hit hard, because of it's lack of universal health care. Ironically, the rich people with health care will suffer because they are denying health care to the poor and undocumented.

    Inequality has unintended consequences.
    The statements, views and opinions expressed in this column are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent anybody else.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by danmand View Post
    I predict that USA will be hit hard, because of it's lack of universal health care. Ironically, the rich people with health care will suffer because they are denying health care to the poor and undocumented.

    Inequality has unintended consequences.
    The great equalization may be just around the corner.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by danmand View Post
    Essentially unnecessary, as most countries in Europe have closed their borders. But better late than never.

    I predict that USA will be hit hard, because of it's lack of universal health care. Ironically, the rich people with health care will suffer because they are denying health care to the poor and undocumented.

    Inequality has unintended consequences.
    The US is likely being hit hard already, but since they have almost no testing and no plans in effect its too hard to tell.
    I was listening to Quirks and Quarks as they said that judging by the number of infected showing up on airlines from the US, they already are likely having it spread far.
    Don’t be a tough guy. Don’t be a fool! I will call you later

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hornyville
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by danmand View Post
    Essentially unnecessary, as most countries in Europe have closed their borders. But better late than never.

    I predict that USA will be hit hard, because of it's lack of universal health care. Ironically, the rich people with health care will suffer because they are denying health care to the poor and undocumented.

    Inequality has unintended consequences.
    Some Chinese person on another forum made an interesting observation.

    In China, no important person or famous person got infected with the coronavirus.

    Other places, important people such as politicians and generals in the military, they got infected, along with Tom Hanks a celebrity, and NBA players.

    That is a real stark difference.

    Seems like this virus is so widespread outside of China that rich and poor get it.


  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    Some Chinese person on another forum made an interesting observation.

    In China, no important person or famous person got infected with the coronavirus.

    Other places, important people such as politicians and generals in the military, they got infected, along with Tom Hanks a celebrity, and NBA players.

    That is a real stark difference.

    Seems like this virus is so widespread outside of China that rich and poor get it.

    No celebrities or government officials in China contracted the virus and THAT'S the conclusion you draw??

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by kkelso View Post
    No celebrities or government officials in China contracted the virus and THAT'S the conclusion you draw??
    What, you don't think the Chinese government would use censorship to stop those posts do you?
    Don’t be a tough guy. Don’t be a fool! I will call you later

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •