Thread: What About China?

What About China?

Eventually we will get through this and when we do, what should happen to China? Slow and opaque response on their part will have caused tens of thousands of deaths (if not more) and quite possibly thrown the world economy into recession. And it's not their first turn as the planet's petri dish.

Of course they will lose factories as smart companies seek to diversify their supply chains, so they will experience some economic consequences.

Will the market take sufficient action, or is something else called for?

KK

Quote Originally Posted by kkelso View Post
    Eventually we will get through this and when we do, what should happen to China? Slow and opaque response on their part will have caused tens of thousands of deaths (if not more) and quite possibly thrown the world economy into recession. And it's not their first turn as the planet's petri dish.

Of course they will lose factories as smart companies seek to diversify their supply chains, so they will experience some economic consequences.

As far as critical medical supplies, I believe all industrialized nations will require more self-sufficiency. Businesses with non-medical products will likely accelerate plans to diversify supply chains.

The trade conflict and the virus outbreak are a double whammy to China's manufacturing base. The third whammy is China's secrecy with the initial outbreak, aggressive talk on blaming the U.S. for the virus and threatening access to medical products.

KK
    China responded better than the US and has now stalled the spread of the virus.
    So what should happen to the US and China?
    Donít be a tough guy. Donít be a fool! I will call you later

Quote Originally Posted by Frankfooter View Post

The US and China are the worldís 2 largest economies; there is not much that the rest of the world can do in terms of punishing them.

Moving forward, though, I would anticipate that businesses will be more prone to invest in countries with well developed public health systems and that are not run by authoritarian assholes.

PS: I am also skeptical about Chinaís claim that their infection numbers are dropping. I donít trust the numbers coming out of China or anything the Chinese government tells us at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Ball View Post

Moving forward, though, I would anticipate that businesses will be more prone to invest in countries with well developed public health systems and that are not run by authoritarian assholes.

So, China LOL
    The statements, views and opinions expressed in this column are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent anybody else.

That's because this virus originated in China, just like SARS. So of course they had several weeks jump start on the rest of the world to research and try to contain it.
    However, in not allowing people in to help, and trying to fix this from within, they allowed it to spread.

The way China handled this was no better than Russia trying to keep Chernobyl quiet. But when people far away start getting sick, the truth comes out.
    This is China's Chernobyl.

A dependency on China must end.

Kathleen HFH

Kathleen being a Badkat at HFH

Available at Hands from Heaven Spa in Brampton. Please Visit HFH website for schedule and which location I'll be at each week.
    Available also Independent SP in Mississauga - Please visit my site Badkat.net for info and email.

PS: I am also skeptical about China’s claim that their infection numbers are dropping. I don’t trust the numbers coming out of China or anything the Chinese government tells us at this point.
    Thank you!
    Agreed

Kathleen HFH

Kathleen being a Badkat at HFH

Available at Hands from Heaven Spa in Brampton. Please Visit HFH website for schedule and which location I'll be at each week.
    Available also Independent SP in Mississauga - Please visit my site Badkat.net for info and email.

For the sake of the American security, the supply chain based in China needs to be severely curtailed. Any American importer must be saddled with hard limits on how much can be imported from China. The reliance on a single country to supply the American marketplace is downright dangerous. Besides, it will be good for the world to spread the wealth around.
    "I voted numerous times when I was a senator to spend money to build a barrier to try to prevent illegal immigrants from coming in," Hillary Clinton

Half Man Half Amazing
    Really? They sat on it for a month before notifying WHO. They silenced front line medical workers who were whistleblowing. They have suppressed the true statistics. And it took them almost 2 months to quarantine the city of Wuhan. China's response was nothing short of abysmal. Its now a global pandemic because of their abysmalness.

I shine and rise at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by K Douglas View Post
    Really? They sat on it for a month before notifying WHO. They silenced front line medical workers who were whistleblowing. They have suppressed the true statistics. And it took them almost 2 months to quarantine the city of Wuhan. China's response was nothing short of abysmal. Its now a global pandemic because of their abysmalness.
    Indeed. One of the Chinese doctors who tried to sound the alarm about the virus was threatened with criminal charges of spreading misinformation and inciting panic. That doctor has since died from the coronavirus.

Quote Originally Posted by jcpro View Post
    For the sake of the American security, the supply chain based in China needs to be severely curtailed. Any American importer must be saddled with hard limits on how much can be imported from China. The reliance on a single country to supply the American marketplace is downright dangerous. Besides, it will be good for the world to spread the wealth around.

China have got what they have always wanted.

To CORONISE the world!!
    ď... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.Ē

-Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by SchlongConery View Post

China have got what they have always wanted.

To CORONISE the world!!
    Thanks to them we're now running low on basic suppries.
    "I voted numerous times when I was a senator to spend money to build a barrier to try to prevent illegal immigrants from coming in," Hillary Clinton

Indeed. One of the Chinese doctors who tried to sound the alarm about the virus was threatened with criminal charges of spreading misinformation and inciting panic. That doctor has since died from the coronavirus.
    Have to agree here. China's initial response was terrible and they only got it under control (*if* the numbers can be believed, which is far from certain) after switching to a massive totalitarian level lockdown.

S Korea is a far more sane model to look at for reaction.

An interesting idea. I wonder if anyone would advance that line of thinking legislatively.

KK

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    The way China handled this was no better than Russia trying to keep Chernobyl quiet. But when people far away start getting sick, the truth comes out.
    This is China's Chernobyl.
    Quite well said.

Thanks to them we're now running low on basic suppries.
    We are as much to blame as they are because we depend on them to much. If we move away from them the cost of our goods will go up because no other country makes them as cheap as they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooseifur View Post
    We are as much to blame as they are because we depend on them to much. If we move away from them the cost of our goods will go up because no other country makes them as cheap as they do.
    True in a short term, not true in the long run. The shift to other low cost jurisdictions can easily be accomplished by using quotas. The American government can easily impose quotas just as easily it imposes tariffs. It can be decided that China gets 10%(for example) of the pharmaceutical imports as a total value of the annual pharma imports to the US and the major corporations will have no choice but to shift the production to Cambodia or India, etc. The hard part is making the decision in the face of the bought domestic opposition- like Biden(for example) and a good portion of the Congress, on both sides.

KK
    You kidding right?

Close to no one will be leaving China any time soon. Companies may branch out, but there is no exodus. People still want in.

Trump Effort to Keep U.S. Tech Out of China Alarms American Firms
    Feb. 16, 2020
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/16/b...echnology.html

As for Covid-19 ... what about it?

I already know the Chinese response. It's your problem now.

Swine Flu - anyone remember China complaining?

Go back to A.I.D.S. - anyone remember China complaining.

The Chinese Communist Party will be willing to work with other countries that they speak to it and agree to mutual asssitance.

When this coronavirus crisis started, other countries were donating medical supplies to China, such as South Korea, and Japan. There were quite a few who sent donations to China, from Europe and ASEAN. So many I forget.

When the crisis peaked, then China started donating their medical supplies to other countries. Iran and Iraq and notable examples.

Those who want to assign blame to China, the Chinese will rejected it. To put it politely.

Coronavirus: Drug shortage fears as India limits exports

4 March 2020

There are fears of global shortages of some common drugs after India limited the export of certain medicines due to the coronavirus.

The world's biggest supplier of generic drugs has restricted exports of 26 ingredients and the medicines made from them.

The restricted drugs include Paracetamol, one of the world's most widely-used pain relievers.

It comes as many drug ingredient makers in China remain shut or cut output.

India's drug makers rely on China for almost 70% of the active ingredients in their medicines, and industry experts have warned that they are likely to face shortages if the epidemic continues.

"Even drugs that aren't produced in China get their base ingredients from China. Globally there could be a shortage if China and India both get hit," warned analyst Shaun Rein from the China Market Research Group.

The list of ingredients and medicines accounts for 10% of all Indian pharmaceutical exports and includes several antibiotics, such as tinidazole and erythromycin, the hormone progesterone and Vitamin B12.

Oxford Economics' lead economist Stephen Foreman told the BBC that there are indications that the scarcity of ingredients is already forcing up prices: "There are already signs that the reduction in supply to India has pushed up prices there considerably."

The Indian government has urged calm over its announcement and said there were enough stocks to last for up to three months.

In 2018 Indian imports accounted for almost a quarter of US medicines and more than 30% of medicine ingredients, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn told US senators on Tuesday that the agency is working to determine how the restrictions will affect America's medical supply and its effect on essential medicines.

Major US pharmaceutical companies have said they are monitoring their supply chains.

Mylan warned last week that there could be drug shortages, while Eli Lilly said it does not expect the coronavirus outbreak to result in shortages for any of its therapies, including insulin products.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51731719

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    You kidding right?

Close to no one will be leaving China any time soon. Companies may branch out, but there is no exodus. People still want in.

Trump Effort to Keep U.S. Tech Out of China Alarms American Firms
    Feb. 16, 2020
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/16/b...echnology.html

As for Covid-19 ... what about it?

I already know the Chinese response. It's your problem now.

Swine Flu - anyone remember China complaining?

Go back to A.I.D.S. - anyone remember China complaining.

The Chinese Communist Party will be willing to work with other countries that they speak to it and agree to mutual asssitance.

When this coronavirus crisis started, other countries were donating medical supplies to China, such as South Korea, and Japan. There were quite a few who sent donations to China, from Europe and ASEAN. So many I forget.

When the crisis peaked, then China started donating their medical supplies to other countries. Iran and Iraq and notable examples.

Those who want to assign blame to China, the Chinese will rejected it. To put it politely.
    No, I'm not kidding.

Large, smart companies will divest from China. They'd be foolish not to. I agree that this won't be to massive effect.

My original query was around the question of whether or not governments and citizenry will demand a restructuring, perhaps something involving quotas or tariffs. I can certainly see some enterprising politician promoting the idea that paying 25 cents more for a sweater would be worth putting China in its place, and by extension creating a more stable and fault-tolerant world economy.

KK

Ya, like 2 month too late though. China f'd up big time.

Never Been Justly Banned
    This should help bring other parts of the world to Trumps efforts to force China to open up. Sadly I think a Biden presidency would see the US talk though and do nothing, like all previous presidency’s back to Clinton.

At the bottom of all the tributes paid to democracy, is the little man, walking into the little booth, with a little pencil, making a little cross on a little bit of paper - no amount of rhetoric or voluminous discussion can possibly diminish the overwhelming importance of the point.

Quote Originally Posted by onthebottom View Post
    This should help bring other parts of the world to Trumps efforts to force China to open up. Sadly I think a Biden presidency would see the US talk though and do nothing, like all previous presidency’s back to Clinton.
    Trump doesn't want China to open up.
    He just wants cheaper MAGA hats.
    Donít be a tough guy. Donít be a fool! I will call you later

You really think that the american public would accept "10 Dollar Stores"?
    China's supply chain isn't going anywhere.