Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 24 of 79

Thread: No sports to watch or discuss. What's your greatest sports memory?

  1. #1
    Nitpicker Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    30,228
    Blog Entries
    1

    No sports to watch or discuss. What's your greatest sports memory?

    Tired of talking corona? Maybe we need to go the nostalgia route.

    For you, what is the most exciting or thrilling sporting event(s) in your life? What is the most indelibly etched memory you have of sports.

    For me, it was Canada/Russia '72. The whole country was into it starting in the first game in Montreal and it just got bigger and bigger and bigger and who could have ever imagined the way the competition evolved, culminating in game 8 and the unthinkable finish. The whole country literally came to a standstill for that last game. Classes and work days were cancelled. That was because, hockey is ingrained into our social consciousness in Canada and this was our chance to reclaim our honour from the Russians who had dominated international and Olympic hockey for about 15 years, the way Canada used to. But we could no longer use our best until '72. That was always our argument and this was the chance to put it to the test.

    Like I said, it was an important event even before the first puck drop and when Frank scored within the first minute or two we were already puffing our chests. That didn't last long and by Vancouver our spirits could not have been lower. So it was a societal, cultural, national and even geopolitical event. Democracy vs. Communism. The stakes could not have been higher. Combine that with the emotional roller coaster we went through. the tension and then the Hollywood finish of truly world class, intense hockey, to me, makes it undeniably something that will never be matched.

    Other memorable events?

    The Blue Jays in '92 and '93 as it was a culmination of watching a futile expansion team evolve over 15 years. The city (and country--yup a big market LOL) were electric. We were so proud of our team, 50,000 fans in the Dome every game and we beat the American teams at their own game. We took the WS trophy out of the U.S.

    I also loved following the career of Sugar Ray Leonard, probably the most charismatic boxer of all time. Lots of people hated Ali, nobody hated Ray. Good looking, flashy, amazing hand speed and footwork, was not defensive, always ready to mix it up and usually initiated the action. All his fights were entertaining. I remember his first title match, taking the belt from Wilfredo Benitez. He ducked nobody. Amazing fights against, Hagler, Hearn, Duran. I used to get so pumped up for his fights. So much fun to watch.

    Canadian Olympic Hockey Golds were always huge.
    Last edited by shack; 03-14-2020 at 07:23 PM.

  2. #2
    You must be older than dirt. Now it all makes sense.
    Everything's Got A Price

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    My head is my home
    Posts
    22,056
    Tim and Sid are about to showcase The Inning now.


  4. #4
    Nitpicker Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    30,228
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wick View Post
    You must be older than dirt. Now it all makes sense.
    Too bad there's no explanation for you being obnoxious other than your parents had no idea what they were doing. Wixperts all around your household.

  5. #5
    Astute Observer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    On the highway of life
    Posts
    1,125
    The Cubs winning the World Series.
    If you got it, a truck brought it.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    GTA & Thereabouts...
    Posts
    1,190
    Bautista's Bat Flip and the crazy inning that lead up to it. So much greatness.
    -Goodoer

    "I might just reverse my vasectomy for a lady who does this...

  7. #7
    Into Ties and Tail
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Durham & Toronto
    Posts
    8,959
    Leafs winning Stanley Cup; England winning World Cup; Blue Jays winning World Series; Muhammed Ali beating George Forman for an improbable world championship; Canada vs Russia 72.
    "Last night you were, unhinged. You were like some desperate, howling demon. You frightened me. ..Do it again"...... Morticia Adams



    .

  8. #8
    Hockey- Henderson's Summit Series winning goal in '72, no other hockey series comes close to the raw emotion in that series
    Leafs upsetting the Islanders in '78 playoffs in overtime game 7- "Lanny Goal"

    Baseball- George Bell squeezing the ball for final out to send Jays to the ALCS for first time in '85

    Roberto Alomar's HR in the ALCS against Dennis Eckersley in '92 which gave Jays the confidence to finally beat the A's and eventually win the WS against
    Atlanta

    Attending my first Blue Jays game in '77 and the first MLB player I saw was Carl Yastzremski

    NASL- Toronto Metro Croatias winning the Championship in '76

    Jacques Villeneuve winning Indy 500, CART Championship and F1 Championship

    Nadia Comaneci's perfect 10's and Greg Joy winning the silver medal in high jump for Canada at Montreal Summer games in '76

    Ben Johnson destroying Carl Lewis and the WR at Seoul

    Donovan Bailey winning Gold and the Canadian Men's 4X100 team beating the USA in Atlanta

  9. #9
    Half Man Half Amazing
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Room 112
    Posts
    18,077
    Gotta be the 1992 World Series. Was the first major sports championship that I ever saw my home team win.

    I shine and rise at the same time.

  10. #10
    Please do not mention the "Golden Goal" by Sid the Kid...... Our team was so stacked. Miles more talent than any other Olympic team that year. We should have blown out every team every game.
    Maybe it was Babcock but how they did not waltz to the victory always bothers me. Squeeking out a Gold Medal is not a moment of pride for me. Especially on home ice.

  11. #11
    Half Man Half Amazing
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Room 112
    Posts
    18,077
    Quote Originally Posted by underground View Post
    Please do not mention the "Golden Goal" by Sid the Kid...... Our team was so stacked. Miles more talent than any other Olympic team that year. We should have blown out every team every game.
    Maybe it was Babcock but how they did not waltz to the victory always bothers me. Squeeking out a Gold Medal is not a moment of pride for me. Especially on home ice.
    Ridiculous comment. The Russian roster was stacked with talent. US and Sweden pretty damn talented too.

    Russia - Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Fedorov, Radulov, Morozov, Semin, Gonchar, Markov, Nabokov
    US - Kane, Kessel, Pavelski, Parise, Kesler, Ryan, Rafalski, Suter, Miller
    Sweden - Sedins, Alfredsson, Forsberg, Backstrom, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Kronwall, Enstrom, Lundqvist

    I'd still rate the 2002 Gold Medal game far superior to the 2010 one.

    I shine and rise at the same time.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    I also loved following the career of Sugar Ray Leonard, probably the most charismatic boxer of all time. Lots of people hated Ali, nobody hated Ray. Good looking, flashy, amazing hand speed and footwork, was not defensive, always ready to mix it up and usually initiated the action. All his fights were entertaining. I remember his first title match, taking the belt from Wilfredo Benitez. He ducked nobody. Amazing fights against, Hagler, Hearn, Duran. I used to get so pumped up for his fights. So much fun to watch.
    Sugar Ray had the fastest hands I had ever seen, he would have destroyed Mayweather JR

  13. #13
    Nitpicker Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    30,228
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by unassuming View Post
    Hockey- Henderson's Summit Series winning goal in '72, no other hockey series comes close to the raw emotion in that series
    Leafs upsetting the Islanders in '78 playoffs in overtime game 7- "Lanny Goal"

    Nadia Comaneci's perfect 10's and Greg Joy winning the silver medal in high jump for Canada at Montreal Summer games in '76
    I imagine that this sentiment from Mr. Charming would apply to you as well. I'm sure he wouldn't want to leave anyone out.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wick View Post
    You must be older than dirt.

  14. #14
    Missing since AD 393
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    On the slopes of Mount Parnassus, Greece
    Posts
    5,938
    Quote Originally Posted by unassuming View Post
    Sugar Ray had the fastest hands I had ever seen, he would have destroyed Mayweather JR
    Ray was a natural middleweight and floyd was a welterweight so that fight would never happen.

    Ray would be just to big for him.

  15. #15
    Missing since AD 393
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    On the slopes of Mount Parnassus, Greece
    Posts
    5,938
    Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post

    I also loved following the career of Sugar Ray Leonard, probably the most charismatic boxer of all time. Lots of people hated Ali, nobody hated Ray. Good looking, flashy, amazing hand speed and footwork, was not defensive, always ready to mix it up and usually initiated the action. All his fights were entertaining. I remember his first title match, taking the belt from Wilfredo Benitez. He ducked nobody. Amazing fights against, Hagler, Hearn, Duran. I used to get so pumped up for his fights. So much fun to watch.
    Let's not canonise Leonard shall we. He did admit to beating his wife after all. To me that's a pretty egregious and heinous thing to do.

    His alcohol and cocaine abuse is well documented affecting which could have been an even more accredited career than he had.

    He fought the best of his time yes but it took him a long time to gave Tommy Hearns his rematch didn't it. And there's no way that second fight was a draw.

    I also thought Hagler should have won their fight as well.

  16. #16
    Missing since AD 393
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    On the slopes of Mount Parnassus, Greece
    Posts
    5,938
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wick View Post
    You must be older than dirt. Now it all makes sense.
    With age comes experience and wisdom.

    I was taught that as a young lad by my grandfather and still believe that today.

  17. #17
    Nitpicker Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    30,228
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
    Ray was a natural middleweight and floyd was a welterweight so that fight would never happen.

    Ray would be just to big for him.
    I had to look it up because I recall Ray was quite slim during his ascension. He was 25-0, including a win over Floyd Mayweather, when he went into the ring against welterweight champ Wilfredo Benitez in '79.. As he got older, Ray filled out and eventually moved up in weight. In fact, Benitez only 2 losses were to Ray and Hearns. He even beat Duran.

    Live on prime time TV with Howard Cosell calling the match and legendary ref Carlos Padilla.

    Here's a 15 minute highlight package:



    And if you want the whole fight:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOCePnEJNYQ

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    My head is my home
    Posts
    22,056
    Being an asshole pays, Roberto Osuna threw his pregnant gf down a flight of stairs and got to go to the playoffs with the Asstros. In his prime Muhammad Ali's hands were as fast as Suger Ray's - and he was a heavyweight.

    Before my time but I did watch the Clay vs Liston match, for Ali Liston was target practice.


  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
    Ray was a natural middleweight and floyd was a welterweight so that fight would never happen.

    Ray would be just to big for him.
    Yeah, but when Ray came on the scene he was a welter weight. That's the Ray I'm talking about.

  20. #20
    Missing since AD 393
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    On the slopes of Mount Parnassus, Greece
    Posts
    5,938
    Quote Originally Posted by unassuming View Post
    Yeah, but when Ray came on the scene he was a welter weight. That's the Ray I'm talking about.
    So yeah I agree. It's possible but I was just looking at it from what weight they were at when they were their very best.

    If Floyd were just a little bit bigger he would stand a good chance of out pointing him. Mayweather is just so damn hard to hit.

    In all of the fights I've seen him in. I can barely remember ever seeing him get squared up. He's just perfect defensively. I'd put Pernell whitaker in that same class.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post

    In all of the fights I've seen him in. I can barely remember ever seeing him get squared up. He's just perfect defensively. ...
    If I recall, Shane Moseley came the closest, I think he hammered Floyd which buckled his knees, but he just could not finish him off.

  22. #22
    Nitpicker Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    30,228
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
    So yeah I agree. It's possible but I was just looking at it from what weight they were at when they were their very best.

    If Floyd were just a little bit bigger he would stand a good chance of out pointing him. Mayweather is just so damn hard to hit.

    In all of the fights I've seen him in. I can barely remember ever seeing him get squared up. He's just perfect defensively. I'd put Pernell whitaker in that same class.
    I dare say that he never faced anybody as good as SRL. Another situation where comparing athletes from different eras results in an unresolvable debate.

  23. #23
    Missing since AD 393
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    On the slopes of Mount Parnassus, Greece
    Posts
    5,938
    Quote Originally Posted by unassuming View Post
    If I recall, Shane Moseley came the closest, I think he hammered Floyd which buckled his knees, but he just could not finish him off.
    Moseley's legacy was tainted by the PED use which he admitted.

    After that I lost all respect for the man. You're right again though he did tag Floyd pretty darn good.

  24. #24
    Getting Terry Bradshaw's autograph in 1975, he had just won his first Super Bowl, super nice guy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •