Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coronavirus/Stocks when to buy

Honestly, for those buying AC stock you need to keep this in mind. They will need a bailout. The bailout will wipe out the common equity.

B(.)(.)B Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by daywalker11 View Post
    Honestly, for those buying AC stock you need to keep this in mind. They will need a bailout. The bailout will wipe out the common equity.
    The last time AC went down to sub $2.00 was the common equity wiped out by a bailout? I keep reading about people who invested at $1.00 and if they were patient could have made 50 X when stock went to $50.00 or more.

https://terb.cc/vbulletin/showthread...91#post6651991

If you read my post early this week I used AC as an example of a stock that would take a tumble during times like these. It's going to get worse for the airline industry worldwide and it's going to take time before they recover, going long it's prudent, bad news makes you money now.

VBB
    Some people are like slinkies ... they are not really good for anything ... but, they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Airlines are not investible at all at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by nottyboi View Post
    Airlines are not investible at all at this point.
    Agree and unfortunately the markets are likely going down another 30-40%. Best to keep your cash close at hand for that time.

This is just a hobby !
    Good piece that will help you understanding market volatility:

https://gwl.campaign.adobe.com/nl/js...20|DMO-5400%20
    people don't remember what you said or what you did. they remember how you made them feel !

Quote Originally Posted by daywalker11 View Post
    Agree and unfortunately the markets are likely going down another 30-40%. Best to keep your cash close at hand for that time.
    Having listened to some blogs about what is happening in the background I think the Fed and the team will pump the markets back up this week and for several days. They are ready with TRILLIONS, however the biggest problem is how to get the money into the system with BASEL regs etc . This is something they are working on behind the scenes this weekend 24 hours a day...watch for it this week. I am not saying this is a fix, it is a desperate attempt, will probably not succeed in the mid term.

I don't think those Fed measures will have a lasting effect. As the body count rises the market will continue its downward spiral. There will need to be some medical breakthrough with a certainty that the worst of the virus is behind us before the markets head upward but when it happens it will shoot up quickly and violently. Don't miss the boat.

"...for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again. For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate."

I think we all know with almost 95% certainty there will be a vaccine within 12 months. In fact I think there will be one 3-8 months. It won't be widely distributed but will be available to end outbreaks. Also symptom treatment will improve markedly in the next 6-12 weeks. I expect fatality rates too start dropping quite quickly as a result. How to restart the economy will be the trick. I think with covid oil Production will decline as well.

Nottyboi,

There will likely be a treatment within the next two months. But FDA approval for a vaccine is estimated to be a much longer process.

Gilead Sciences (GILD - NASDAQ) has an anti-viral drug called Remdesivir that is being studied in five large clinical trials, two of which could read out results in early April. Up until now, Gilead has made it possible for patients who want the drug to get it through a process called “compassionate use.” To date, the company said, it has provided emergency access to several hundred patients in the United States, Europe, and Japan.

Remdesivir works by preventing the virus from replicating. It is delivered intraveneously. Watch for rush FDA approval sometime in April. Gilead is ramping up production all around the world and they will still be no where close to meeting demand.

Matt

There has also been a lot of press about a drug called chloroquine (or hydrochloroquine) which has been used to treat malaria since the 1940s. Chloroquine earned FDA approval as a malaria treatment in 1949 and long stood as the go-to treatment for the disease. Anecdoctal evidence has found that chloroquine may be effective for mild Covid-19 cases but as cases get more severe patients are switched to Remdesivir.

The North American markets peaked on February 19 and began falling rapidly. We are still in the early innings of the outbreak. There will be two or three waves before it is under control. Schools will not reopen until September.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) is a stock market index that measures the stock performance of 30 large companies listed on stock exchanges in the United States. The S&P/TSX Composite Index is the benchmark Canadian index, representing roughly 70% of the total market capitalization on the Toronto Stock Exchange with about 250 companies included in it.

Watch for the Dow Jones Industrial Index to drop all the way to 15,000 (currently 18,881) and the TSX/S&P Index to hit 8,500 (currently 11,489). Around June, the markets should bottom and slowly start climbing back.

I hope it really takes that long to bottom! Lyft rallied. Yes Lyft, the retarded cousin of Uber. In the middle of lockdowns and no one's going out. My puts on Lyft are down 50%!

Phoenix AZ but visit Ontario as often as possible
    Air Canada has gained about 40% in the last 5-days. Almost back up to where I bought it at! I am not clear why. US airlines had huge gains as they are getting lots of Federal money in the deal about to pass. But Canadian airlines will have to wait for another Canadian funding help since not in the one just passed and got royal assent.

Once the virus lockdowns and travel bans are over - maybe by May - there will be a massive uptick in pend up travel demand, especially business. Westjet and Porter may not be able to survive if not helped. Air Canada is by far the strongest and has enough cash and credit lines for about six months.

In the US, the "rescue" package for the airlines does not include any equity participation, so shareholders will not be diluted. They are grants as I understand it to pay all employees, contractors, etc. separate from the other employee provisions.
    Dave in Phoenix
    Sexwork Cyber Resource Center
    Promoting Positive Intimacy and Adult Sexuality
    Esalen massage - integrating with one another in love -"heartfelt touch"
    With C-36 I never pay for sex. Only time to enjoy cuddling, companionship and massage.
    http://www.meetdave.me
    http://www.sexworkcanada.com
    http://www.sexworktoronto.com

http://www.lovetouch.info

Yeah I know. The stock market has gained in the last two days. Makes no sense. The economy is getting worse every day.

"...for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again. For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate."

DOW at 22500 today. Thats like 4000 points from its low just earlier this week. Analysts claims all the bad news and stimulus priced in now. i am going to sit and wait. If i've missed out, i would feel ok as i refuse to participate in this crazy market. thoughts?

There will be more ups and downs before it's over. Will tomorrow be a down day as people may not want to hold stocks over the weekend? Waiting for another big drop to buy more shares of blue chips.

picked up some puts today after the run-up the last few days. I think somebody forgot to tell COVID that the US put out a $2T rescue package...Hopefully he will have heard and decide to stop infecting people now...
    ..."Clearly I have defeated this earthworm with my words -- imagine what I would have done with my fire breathing fists..."

As you cannot predict the bottom, best to drip it in starting now. The market plunged because investors are taking it out. I am not sure I understand it all. Are not profesionals the biggest investors IE insurance companies etc. Why do they panic and take it out?

As soon as they announce a vaccine up she goes
    Gorgeous guitar solo

https://youtu.be/vV1HrhhroaE

Quote Originally Posted by VERYBADBOY View Post
    https://terb.cc/vbulletin/showthread...91#post6651991

If you read my post early this week I used AC as an example of a stock that would take a tumble during times like these. It's going to get worse for the airline industry worldwide and it's going to take time before they recover, going long it's prudent, bad news makes you money now.

VBB
    Very foolish to buy individual stock. Even the experts cannot beat the average. Buy the index.
    Gorgeous guitar solo

https://youtu.be/vV1HrhhroaE

I’ve been adding to my positions in TD and BEP.UN.

come next month I may be adding bce, enb, td and su. depending on which ones will be under performing in term of price.

Financials are compelling at this price. We are getting to the point where things are going to get crazy. Either this is a massive overreaction in which case stocks are going to be a bargain, or we see things get out of control in which case these mass closures are going to start a massive domino effect. If it is the latter, we are in big trouble.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12