Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coronavirus/Stocks when to buy

American Airlines now selling $12.25 per share.

Quote Originally Posted by glamphotographer View Post
    American Airlines now selling $12.25 per share.
    Problem with Airline is: massive amounts of capital parked , storage and maint fees for said capital. No end in sight to shut down. When they are cleared to operate will anyone have any money to fly? BUT oil is cheap.

The time to buy is now.

Ceiling Cat
    A.K.A Van Helsing - Cackler Killer

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot Allures View Post
    Very foolish to buy individual stock. Even the experts cannot beat the average. Buy the index.
    Buying the index, going long, is a long term bull market strategy, we are not in a bull market. It is also considered a safe given market risk, beta equals 1.0, don't keep your eggs in one basket mentality, but that applies to normal times which these are not.

I'm out of my airline plays with a hefty profit. Never get emotional with your stock.

True I spread out risk and invest in different sectors accordingly, I may even go long the indexes but it's usually shorts nowadays and I tend to hedge if I can ... but last week was Q1 end profit taking to shore up financials on Wall Street. My strategy continues to change and this is April so I'm predicting bad news long term but some good news short term with oil pending OPEC next week. I'm sitting mostly cash with over a dozen hedged positions currently spread out nicely, this is not the time to get emotional and think long term with a portfolio, just a few stocks and staying liquid until the opportunity presents itself. Volatility means excessive returns and I'm doing very well.

VBB
    Some people are like slinkies ... they are not really good for anything ... but, they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceiling Cat View Post
    The time to buy is now.
    I'm waiting for the S&P500 to hit 2000. The rally last week isn't going to last. All economic data have gotten worse and continue to every day.

I don't even think 2000 is the bottom. With the amount of record job losses, banks bracing for the biggest waves of delinquencies in history (15 million), and recession/depression that comes after, things are going to be painful for a few years.

"...for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again. For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate."

Rain or shine, you have to plant your corn before it is too late.

Ceiling Cat

I have the view that covid is an over reaction. The market tanked because of oil, not covid. The media just blamed covid. The economy was doing pretty well. Once oil is fixed S$P should go back to 3000 pretty soon. Note how S&P moved with the oil surge on Thursday/Friday. Almost 100% correlation.

Covid-19 has shut the world down different parts of the world for the last 4 - 16 weeks, That has to have some effect on the economy. There was already an expected recession which occurs every 8 - 9 years. Then we have to worry about the presidential election in the US.

Ceiling Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Ceiling Cat View Post
    Covid-19 has shut the world down different parts of the world for the last 4 - 16 weeks, That has to have some effect on the economy. There was already an expected recession which occurs every 8 - 9 years. Then we have to worry about the presidential election in the US.
    We will get below 2000 again on the S&P. The numbers coming out of the US are going to be ugly for the next 2-3 weeks and I am pretty sure the Russians just sank the OPEC+ meeting that was scheduled for tomorrow. You can buy now and make money but there will be better prices ahead.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123