Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 25 to 34 of 34

Thread: VPN Are they necessary?

  1. #25
    Senior Turgid Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Whitby, Durham Region's Den of Iniquity
    Posts
    5,817
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by glamphotographer View Post
    I use Nord VPN, very good, pretty fast. They have deals for 3-year subs. Good for torrenting and such.
    I use Cyberghost, similar deals and performance.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

  2. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,950
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodPeckr View Post
    Raspberry Pi looks very interesting after doing a bit of research on it.
    Did you get it bare then load it up or was it already loaded up as you described above?
    I bought it four years ago and it came loaded with Kodi then. However, not long after I had issues with that version of Kodi and had to go back to factory settings and loading the newer versions on a constant basis. It was great for sporting events but that is no longer the case. So, I use it mainly for Movies, TV shows and The News. Great device to own with a VPN.

  3. #27
    Protuberant Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    45,593
    Quote Originally Posted by bver_hunter View Post
    I bought it four years ago and it came loaded with Kodi then. However, not long after I had issues with that version of Kodi and had to go back to factory settings and loading the newer versions on a constant basis. It was great for sporting events but that is no longer the case. So, I use it mainly for Movies, TV shows and The News. Great device to own with a VPN.
    Yeah it seems one of the big problems with Kodi is upgrading it. If you don't upgrade, it starts acting up.

    Right now I have the Xanax build of Kodi 18.5 which runs great. Xanax 'auto upgades' Kodi as upgrades, etc., come out which is nice. Put Xanax on an old Firestick, a laptop and another desktop and the laptop and desktop run Xanax Kodi great. However Firestick runs ok but is much slower. Xanax is a fully loaded build and has everything! This build a couple weeks old has already upgraded itself to Kodi 18.6!

    YouTube has many good tutorials showing you how to install the Xanax Kodi build on whatever device you want to install it on including Raspberry Pi .

  4. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,950
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodPeckr View Post
    Yeah it seems one of the big problems with Kodi is upgrading it. If you don't upgrade, it starts acting up.

    Right now I have the Xanax build of Kodi 18.5 which runs great. Xanax 'auto upgades' Kodi as upgrades, etc., come out which is nice. Put Xanax on an old Firestick, a laptop and another desktop and the laptop and desktop run Xanax Kodi great. However Firestick runs ok but is much slower. Xanax is a fully loaded build and has everything! This build a couple weeks old has already upgraded itself to Kodi 18.6!

    YouTube has many good tutorials showing you how to install the Xanax Kodi build on whatever device you want to install it on including Raspberry Pi .
    Yes I have updated it with the Kodi 18.5. I have not used Kodi for a couple of weeks but will upgrade it to 18.6 when I next use it. It is a very simple click to upgrade, unlike the person in the video that you posted who insists on going back to factory settings. That maybe the case if you have a very old version of Kodi. I have LibreElec on mine, and it has worked reasonably well, except for Sports like the Soccer. Well, I used to go to a buddy's place to watch some of he soccer games on DAZN. He has now given me his username and password and I can now watch it through my Roku Stick.

  5. #29
    Protuberant Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    45,593
    Quote Originally Posted by bver_hunter View Post
    He has now given me his username and password and I can now watch it through my Roku Stick.
    Filelinked is great app and can be easily installed on Firestick that opens up Firestick to 100s of other apps not normally available for Firestick.
    For this reason I feel Firestick is far better than limited Roku. That is unless there is something like Filelinked that will open up Roku?

  6. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,950
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodPeckr View Post
    Filelinked is great app and can be easily installed on Firestick that opens up Firestick to 100s of other apps not normally available for Firestick.
    For this reason I feel Firestick is far better than limited Roku. That is unless there is something like Filelinked that will open up Roku?
    I have not tried a Firestick. But with this Roku gadget for DAZN Sports Subscriptions and Kodi loaded on a separate Raspberry Pi gadget, I guess that I do not have enough time to even watch the two devices. But I will bear that Filelinked in mind when I finally get around to cutting the cable.

    How is the Filelinked for news Channels like CNN, MSNBC as well as Sports, Movies, TV Channels etc?

  7. #31
    Protuberant Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    45,593
    Quote Originally Posted by bver_hunter View Post
    How is the Filelinked for news Channels like CNN, MSNBC as well as Sports, Movies, TV Channels etc?
    You can get all that on Firestick and with Filelinked installed.
    Here's an excellent instructional clip explaining how:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doBsPcgb37Q

    Don't have a Raspberry Pi yet but believe you can do far more with Raspberry Pi than Firestick.

    Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Starter Kit - 4GB RAM is the kit I would get: https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspb...07V5JTMV9?th=1

  8. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,950
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodPeckr View Post
    You can get all that on Firestick and with Filelinked installed.
    Here's an excellent instructional clip explaining how:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doBsPcgb37Q

    Don't have a Raspberry Pi yet but believe you can do far more with Raspberry Pi than Firestick.

    Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Starter Kit - 4GB RAM is the kit I would get: https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspb...07V5JTMV9?th=1
    Thanks for the info. Will load Filelinked one of these days.

    Yes, I did purchase the Raspberry Pi that came fully installed with Kodi. Subsequently, I upgraded it from Quad Core to Oct Core, and had to reload the new Kodi versions after initializing it to the Factory Settings. They constantly keep on Updating the Kodi versions and you have to be on the ball, otherwise numerous Apps may stop working

  9. #33
    Protuberant Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    45,593
    That Octa core sounds interesting bver_hunter!

    Got any specs on it?



    Yeah that Xanax build of Kodi I got updates every time it's opened which is pretty nice.

  10. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,950
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodPeckr View Post
    That Octa core sounds interesting bver_hunter!

    Got any specs on it?



    Yeah that Xanax build of Kodi I got updates every time it's opened which is pretty nice.
    No the specs are still the same as Kodi has not offered the Octa Core. Just replaced the compatible Processor with an Octa Core one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •