Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: VPN Are they necessary?

  1. #1

    VPN Are they necessary?

    Considering purchasing a VPN but do I really need one? Anybody using a VPN, which one are you using and why?

  2. #2
    I use Nord VPN, very good, pretty fast. They have deals for 3-year subs. Good for torrenting and such.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by glamphotographer View Post
    I use Nord VPN, very good, pretty fast. They have deals for 3-year subs. Good for torrenting and such.
    Thank you.....Have done some research and Nord VPN rates out real well.Also looking at Express but they seem expensive and Surfshark which if I purchase may be for the wrong reason,"Lowest price" See Nord has a "birthday" special on. Hope I hear from a few more Terbites before I purchase!

  4. #4
    Protuberant Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    45,571
    Opera browser has a built-in free VPN offering 5 locations to select from. Been using Opera browser's VPN for a few years now with pretty much no problems. Works pretty good but there is a bit of delay which I don't feel is much of a problem. Hey free is good.

  5. #5
    Shill Sniffer Dog
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Southwest Ontario
    Posts
    3,815
    I use IPVanish paid $50 US for two years, black Friday special. I am happy with the service. I use Kodi a lot to watch content as I have no cable or streaming services other than DAZN.
    Looking for a Redhead? Here's your thread..The Redhead Thread

    Instead of "Who's your daddy" I accidentally said, "How's your daddy" and we put our clothes back on and started discussing her dad's cholesterol.

  6. #6
    Protuberant Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    45,571
    Blueray;
    How does Kodi work up North?
    It's always under attack down in the USA.

  7. #7
    Shill Sniffer Dog
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Southwest Ontario
    Posts
    3,815
    At first (3 years ago) it was great. Then there was a period where it was hit or miss for me and I had trouble finding good streams/content, but the last year has been quite good. "The Crew" is an excellent Kodi add-on to find content...and I am no Tech whiz.
    Looking for a Redhead? Here's your thread..The Redhead Thread

    Instead of "Who's your daddy" I accidentally said, "How's your daddy" and we put our clothes back on and started discussing her dad's cholesterol.

  8. #8
    Protuberant Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    45,571
    Same here. Years ago Kodi was great. Then add-ons started getting knocked out. Then hit and miss, forcing you to waste too much time. Tried using it a month ago and every search ended up being a dud.

    Had far better luck using a laptop hooked up to my large sceen HDTV. Just did the Google of whatever I wanted to see and usually found a link to play it on the large TV no problem.

  9. #9
    Kodi is dead. No one uses it anymore. Everyone now torrents with VPN these days.

  10. #10
    Shill Sniffer Dog
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Southwest Ontario
    Posts
    3,815
    Quote Originally Posted by glamphotographer View Post
    Kodi is dead. No one uses it anymore. Everyone now torrents with VPN these days.
    Nope. Not true. Like I said, the Kodi add on “the crew” gives me everything anyone would want to watch.
    Looking for a Redhead? Here's your thread..The Redhead Thread

    Instead of "Who's your daddy" I accidentally said, "How's your daddy" and we put our clothes back on and started discussing her dad's cholesterol.

  11. #11
    Protuberant Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    45,571
    Is “the crew” listed in Kodi as available to install?

  12. #12
    Shill Sniffer Dog
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Southwest Ontario
    Posts
    3,815
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodPeckr View Post
    Is “the crew” listed in Kodi as available to install?
    Follow this guide to install The Crew.

    https://www.wirelesshack.org/how-to-...odi-addon.html
    Looking for a Redhead? Here's your thread..The Redhead Thread

    Instead of "Who's your daddy" I accidentally said, "How's your daddy" and we put our clothes back on and started discussing her dad's cholesterol.

  13. #13
    Protuberant Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    45,571
    Quote Originally Posted by blueray View Post
    Follow this guide to install The Crew.

    https://www.wirelesshack.org/how-to-...odi-addon.html
    Did some research and found you need to install The Crew on version Kodi 18.5.

    I run Kodi 17.6 on a Firestick! Have to figure out how to upgrade to 18.5 first.

    Like I said, haven't used Kodi in ages.

  14. #14
    This is a good website for all things privacy related: https://www.privacytools.io/

    In particular VPNs: https://www.privacytools.io/providers/vpn/

    I use NordVPN (purchased the 3 year subscription) as well and can vouch for it, except there was a recent leak that exposed data for those using the service during that particular time, not a huge security breach, but as a potential new customer you should be aware.

    https://www.cnet.com/news/popular-vp...center-breach/

    To answer the question, "Are VPNs necessary?", yes and no. It depends on what you are doing and where you are doing it.

    Torrenting p2p you should use it particularly if you are using private trackers, copyright trolls send out mass emails to ISP and can potentially cause trouble, more often than not, you can ignore them - it's just a scare tactic.

    People can intercept packets in a public wifi space so technically they can have take your data, but if the packets are encrypted they have to decrypt it.

    Personally I don't think there is a real need, unless you are trying to avoid web filtering or avoid copyright trolls. If you are using a search engine like google or a name brand email client (gmail, outlook, yahoo), those companies are goldmines for your data anyways.

    A big reason people use VPNs too is because they live in less democratic places where free speech doesn't really exist, and saying the wrong thing can cause much trouble.
    The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
    Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by luvyeah View Post
    This is a good website for all things privacy related: https://www.privacytools.io/

    In particular VPNs: https://www.privacytools.io/providers/vpn/

    I use NordVPN (purchased the 3 year subscription) as well and can vouch for it, except there was a recent leak that exposed data for those using the service during that particular time, not a huge security breach, but as a potential new customer you should be aware.

    https://www.cnet.com/news/popular-vp...center-breach/

    To answer the question, "Are VPNs necessary?", yes and no. It depends on what you are doing and where you are doing it.

    Torrenting p2p you should use it particularly if you are using private trackers, copyright trolls send out mass emails to ISP and can potentially cause trouble, more often than not, you can ignore them - it's just a scare tactic.

    People can intercept packets in a public wifi space so technically they can have take your data, but if the packets are encrypted they have to decrypt it.

    Personally I don't think there is a real need, unless you are trying to avoid web filtering or avoid copyright trolls. If you are using a search engine like google or a name brand email client (gmail, outlook, yahoo), those companies are goldmines for your data anyways.

    A big reason people use VPNs too is because they live in less democratic places where free speech doesn't really exist, and saying the wrong thing can cause much trouble.
    Great information thank you. Have not completely made up my mind but am starting to believe for what I use the computer for, I don't need a vpn. Was leaning towards Nord based on what I read and the pricing but the more I review things te more I believe I am such a light user that it is not necessary. I use bitdefender anti-virus and think(hope) they will keep me safe. T tried their vpn and was not impressed but quite satisfied with their anti-virus software package.

  16. #16
    Protuberant Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    45,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgger View Post
    Great information thank you. Have not completely made up my mind but am starting to believe for what I use the computer for, I don't need a vpn. Was leaning towards Nord based on what I read and the pricing but the more I review things te more I believe I am such a light user that it is not necessary. I use bitdefender anti-virus and think(hope) they will keep me safe. T tried their vpn and was not impressed but quite satisfied with their anti-virus software package.
    Felt the same way. Thought not really needing a that VPN much and didn't want to pay for VPN. So Opera browser browser was my solution
    As I said above:
    Opera browser has a built-in free VPN offering 4 locations to select from. Been using Opera browser's VPN for a few years now with pretty much no problems. Works pretty good but there is a bit of delay which I don't feel is much of a problem. Hey free is good.

  17. #17
    Protuberant Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    45,571
    Quote Originally Posted by blueray View Post
    Follow this guide to install The Crew.

    https://www.wirelesshack.org/how-to-...odi-addon.html
    Got Kodi 18.5 installed on my Firestick device. Seems to run very well unlike balky old Kodi 17.6 that was totally removed.

    Used this excellent clip for installing Kodi 18.5.
    Clip also included some very helpful tips on making Kodi work/run better which I was not aware of.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfDu7U9JhOg

    This Xanax Kodi 18.5 build comes with 'The Crew' and 'Exodus Redux' already included, along with a few other add-ons.

    Will also add the MP3 Music Stream add-on. Hope it is avail on 18.5 because it worked better than YouTube for finding any music you desire with good quality!

    Xanax is a 'clean' build..... no porn, which was surprising since Kodi 17.6 had any kind of porn you could imagine.....lol

  18. #18
    For those that use kodi, the subreddit Addons4Kodi (http://old.reddit.com/r/Addons4Kodi) always has a pinned thread where people post the up to date addons that are seemingly are working. Sometimes they are forked projects and have new maintainers which seems to be quite prominent. They typically include a linked article which usually explains how to install the addon.

    Keep in mind most of the addons are just webscrapers and search the net for a direct hosted link.
    While others are p2p utility which could run you into some trouble if you are streaming a movie that has copyright trolls in the seed.
    In that case you may want to use a vpn.

    Someone also mentioned just using torrents.

    Try to get invited or purchase a subscription to a private tracker, generally the quality and speed is much better and less worry from potential copyright letters.
    The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
    Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodPeckr View Post
    Felt the same way. Thought not really needing a that VPN much and didn't want to pay for VPN. So Opera browser browser was my solution
    As I said above:
    Thanks. Have used edge, firefox, and currently chrome. Looked at opera after viewing your post and it does look interesting, think I will give it a shot. Free is good unless it causes grief and there are times when free has been expensive. I used free anti-virus until it bit me in the ass!

  20. #20
    Protuberant Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    45,571
    Dawgger been using Opera for years with really no issues.

  21. #21
    Protuberant Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    45,571
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodPeckr View Post
    This Xanax Kodi 18.5 build comes with 'The Crew' and 'Exodus Redux' already included, along with a few other add-ons.

    Will also add the MP3 Music Stream add-on. Hope it is avail on 18.5 because it worked better than YouTube for finding any music you desire with good quality!

    Xanax is a 'clean' build..... no porn, which was surprising since Kodi 17.6 had any kind of porn you could imagine.....lol
    Ok been playing around and getting more familiar with Kodi 18.5. This Xanax build is loaded with addon-ons, etc!!!

    Found this new build already includes MP3 Streams along with some other music apps.
    Oh and and when going deeper into it, it also includes more porn than Kodi 17.6 had....lol

  22. #22
    VPNs are useful if you can find a reputable one, and if your intention is to commit illegal acts, such a piracy, online. Otherwise, what little protection they give you likely isn't worth the cost, unless you're just paranoid in general.

  23. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,347
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodPeckr View Post
    Got Kodi 18.5 installed on my Firestick device. Seems to run very well unlike balky old Kodi 17.6 that was totally removed.

    Used this excellent clip for installing Kodi 18.5.
    Clip also included some very helpful tips on making Kodi work/run better which I was not aware of.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfDu7U9JhOg

    This Xanax Kodi 18.5 build comes with 'The Crew' and 'Exodus Redux' already included, along with a few other add-ons.

    Will also add the MP3 Music Stream add-on. Hope it is avail on 18.5 because it worked better than YouTube for finding any music you desire with good quality!

    Xanax is a 'clean' build..... no porn, which was surprising since Kodi 17.6 had any kind of porn you could imagine.....lol
    I have a Raspberry Pi that was installed with LibreElec Version 8.1. All I did was to update it to the latest version of 9.2 and it automatically loaded the Latest Kodi Version 18.5.
    The Crew App was also automatically loaded in this version and the Movies Section works so much better than The Neptune Arising. I virtually had given up on Kodi with the issues related to Kodi 17.1.
    So no need of practically going to uninstall Kodi, if you have The LibreElec loaded onto your Kodi, as a virtually quick upgrade of it is the solution.

  24. #24
    Protuberant Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    45,571
    Quote Originally Posted by bver_hunter View Post
    I have a Raspberry Pi that was installed with LibreElec Version 8.1.
    Raspberry Pi looks very interesting after doing a bit of research on it.
    Did you get it bare then load it up or was it already loaded up as you described above?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •