Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 24 of 36

Thread: Pence falsely links Iranian general to 9/11 attacks

  1. #1

    Pence falsely links Iranian general to 9/11 attacks

    Pence falsely links Iranian general to 9/11 attacks

    BY: MELISSA ETEHAD
    STAFF WRITER

    JAN. 3, 2020

    11:59 PM

    On Friday afternoon, Vice President Mike Pence took to Twitter to justify the targeted U.S. attack that killed Iranian Gen. Qassem Suleimani.

    But scholars say his tweets contain several inaccuracies, including an allegation that appeared to link Suleimani to the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

    In that tweet, Pence wrote that Suleimani “assisted in the clandestine travel to Afghanistan of 10 of the 12 terrorists who carried out the September 11 terrorist attacks in the United States.”

    As head of the Islamic Republic of Iran’s elite Quds Force, Suleimani, 62, was indeed responsible for a wide array of atrocities.

    But to link Suleimani — one of Iran’s highest-ranking officials — with direct involvement in 9/11 is flawed on many levels, said Osamah F. Khalil, an associate professor of history at Syracuse University.

    The first inaccuracy is the number of hijackers involved in the 9/11 attacks, which killed nearly 3,000 people in New York, Virginia and Pennsylvania. The correct number is 19, not 12. (A Pence spokeswoman, Katie Waldman, later wrote on Twitter that Pence had meant that “12 of the 19 transited through Afghanistan,” and that “10 of those 12 were assisted by Suleimani.”)

    Misagh Parsa, a sociology professor at Dartmouth College, said that either way, there was scant evidence to back up the claim.

    “Where is the evidence and who were these 10 people?” she asked.

    Iran is a Shiite Muslim theocracy; nearly all of the 9/11 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia, a Sunni Muslim monarchy that for decades has had tense relations with Iran. The hijackers were part of Al Qaeda, the Sunni extremist network led by Osama bin Laden.

    Although the 9/11 Commission report states that there was strong evidence suggesting Iranian officials “facilitated the transit of Al Qaeda members into and out of Afghanistan before 9/11,” and that some of them ended up as hijackers, the report did not state that Suleimani was involved, and, furthermore noted that there was no evidence to suggest “Iran or Hezbollah was aware of the planning for what later became the 9/11 attack.”

    Indeed, Suleimani was not mentioned even once in the report, which was released in 2004.

    Khalil was one of several scholars on Friday who seemed aghast at the errors in Pence’s statements, particularly the notion that Suleimani — an Iranian hard-line Shiite — would want to help Al Qaeda, a radical Sunni group whose members consider Shiites to be apostates.

    “It makes little sense from both a religious and political perspective,” Khalil said.

    https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...mani-terrorism

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,321
    Blog Entries
    1
    Trump and Pence are an embarrassment when it comes to facts. But seriously, I have been trying to find out what exact acts of terrorism was Suleimani involved in? There are lots of allegations against him by Republicans and Democrats labelling him a terrorist, where apparently he killed hundreds or thousands of Americans. But I cannot find which precise terrorist acts are his responsibility!!


    On ignore: Disrespectful Individuals!!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by bver_hunter View Post
    Trump and Pence are an embarrassment when it comes to facts. But seriously, I have been trying to find out what exact acts of terrorism was Suleimani involved in? There are lots of allegations against him by Republicans and Democrats labelling him a terrorist, where apparently he killed hundreds or thousands of Americans. But I cannot find which precise terrorist acts are his responsibility!!
    He does not suit the establishment's agenda, therefore he is a terrorist.

  4. #4
    Iran supposedly did facilitate movement into and out of Afghanistan for the Taliban but no clue if this guy or Bin Laden had anything to do with each other.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,321
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
    Iran supposedly did facilitate movement into and out of Afghanistan for the Taliban but no clue if this guy or Bin Laden had anything to do with each other.
    No way that a Sunni like Bin Laden will have any relationships with Shias like Soleimani. Taliban gets most of it's funding from the narcotics and other street drugs.


    On ignore: Disrespectful Individuals!!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bver_hunter View Post
    No way that a Sunni like Bin Laden will have any relationships with Shias like Soleimani. Taliban gets most of it's funding from the narcotics and other street drugs.
    Just like there is no way that the US would have any relationship with an anti-US Islamist like Bin Laden? Would it be more likely that a guy wanted by the US would travel through US ally Pakistan or US enemy Iran? Politics makes strange bedfellows (such as I mentioned about Suleimani fighting against Iran's Kurds when they wanted more freedom, supported Iraq's Kurds during the Iran/Iraq war, and then against those same groups after Saddam's fall).

    p.s. How do you think the Taliban exports their drugs?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
    Just like there is no way that the US would have any relationship with an anti-US Islamist like Bin Laden? Would it be more likely that a guy wanted by the US would travel through US ally Pakistan or US enemy Iran? Politics makes strange bedfellows (such as I mentioned about Suleimani fighting against Iran's Kurds when they wanted more freedom, supported Iraq's Kurds during the Iran/Iraq war, and then against those same groups after Saddam's fall).

    p.s. How do you think the Taliban exports their drugs?
    So you don't have anything to back up this accusation?
    That puts you on a lesser base than Pence.
    Donít be a tough guy. Donít be a fool! I will call you later

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,321
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
    Just like there is no way that the US would have any relationship with an anti-US Islamist like Bin Laden? Would it be more likely that a guy wanted by the US would travel through US ally Pakistan or US enemy Iran? Politics makes strange bedfellows (such as I mentioned about Suleimani fighting against Iran's Kurds when they wanted more freedom, supported Iraq's Kurds during the Iran/Iraq war, and then against those same groups after Saddam's fall).

    p.s. How do you think the Taliban exports their drugs?
    Obviously, if you have links proving their relationships, then please share with us!!


    On ignore: Disrespectful Individuals!!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
    Iran supposedly did facilitate movement into and out of Afghanistan for the Taliban but no clue if this guy or Bin Laden had anything to do with each other.
    Nonsense, Iran (Soleimani himself) actually helped organize the Nothern Resistance to oppose the Taliban. Taliban are sunnis...

  10. #10

  11. #11
    Here's what Iraq, Iran and Saudi are saying about Soleimani's visit:

    Soleimani was to deliver Tehran's reply to Saudi de-escalation letter when killed: Iraqi PM

    https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2020/...o-Saudi-letter

    That's Iranian media, but its backed by Iraq.
    Donít be a tough guy. Donít be a fool! I will call you later

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by bver_hunter View Post
    Trump and Pence are an embarrassment when it comes to facts. But seriously, I have been trying to find out what exact acts of terrorism was Suleimani involved in? There are lots of allegations against him by Republicans and Democrats labelling him a terrorist, where apparently he killed hundreds or thousands of Americans. But I cannot find which precise terrorist acts are his responsibility!!
    I was wondering that too. As far as I can tell, most of these “terrorist” attacks have involved strikes against US soldiers and military bases, not civilians.

  13. #13
    Official Cyclops Wrangler
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Hanging out with the One-Eyed Monster.
    Posts
    22,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Ball View Post
    I was wondering that too. As far as I can tell, most of these “terrorist” attacks have involved strikes against US soldiers and military bases, not civilians.

    Pure guess - The Iraqi Uprising in the mid 2000's. The Shiite militia controlled Basra and several other centres. I'm sure he was a total asshole.

    Problem I have is that I'm not sure that there was any rational reason to kill him NOW - except Trump's reelection campaign. Any President who withholds aid to Ukraine until they wish-fulfil his bizarre obsessions about his political rivals is capable of killing an Iranian official if he thinks it would help him with "winning".

  14. #14
    Pence and the Chosen One and in large measure his employees in the House and Senate are not burdened by those pesky things called facts. But of course they know their audience. The dumbest most gullible cohort on the planet.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    My head is my home
    Posts
    21,487
    American propaganda is a beautiful thing, Dr. Manhattan's supporters will buy Soleimani as the mastermind of 9/11. And he's also responsible for the Bowling Green Massacre.

    Soleimani had almost no direct involvement in the Iran - Iraq War, it was Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who rose to prominence in that war. And the Basra attacks where the work of the Sadr militia, he backed down after American Marines pinpointed his location. He hasn't been a factor since. Ahmadinejad was smeared by American propaganda, he sent women and children into Iraqi minefields. Without the Shia Militias, the Iraqi army would have been unable to stop ISIS. They had already taken too many casualties fighting ISIS in Northern Iraq.

    Did you know the Iranians invaded Pearl Harbor.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankfooter View Post
    So you don't have anything to back up this accusation?
    That puts you on a lesser base than Pence.
    Stop trolling and read what I actually posted.

    Quote Originally Posted by basketcase
    Iran supposedly did facilitate movement into and out of Afghanistan for the Taliban but no clue if this guy or Bin Laden had anything to do with each other.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by bver_hunter View Post
    Obviously, if you have links proving their relationships, then please share with us!!
    There's lots.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...l-afghanistan/
    https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Gl...anistan-609144
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...140942411.html

    And as I said, often world politics is more important than religious/local politics.

    Again, read my original post.
    Quote Originally Posted by basketcase
    Iran supposedly did facilitate movement into and out of Afghanistan for the Taliban but no clue if this guy or Bin Laden had anything to do with each other.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankfooter View Post
    Here's what Iraq, Iran and Saudi are saying about Soleimani's visit:

    Soleimani was to deliver Tehran's reply to Saudi de-escalation letter when killed: Iraqi PM

    https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2020/...o-Saudi-letter

    That's Iranian media, but its backed by Iraq.
    I love how you can quote Iranian government run media with a straight face but keep calling Israeli reports 'propaganda'.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    My head is my home
    Posts
    21,487
    Most of that is propaganda basketcase, especially Al Jazeera.

    The Taliban have killed more Shias than any foreign force many times over. Iran even considered invading Afghanistan before 9/11.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Ball View Post
    I was wondering that too. As far as I can tell, most of these “terrorist” attacks have involved strikes against US soldiers and military bases, not civilians.
    I'd suggest there is a reason why Canada and much of the West (not just the US) considers his group a terrorist entity.

    It might be difficult to name his attacks on American civilian but he oversaw many Iraqi Shia groups who regularly bombed Sunni mosques and neighbourhoods. His group was also heavily involved in fighting between Hezbollah and other Lebanese militias that also had a tonne of attacks targeting civilians (He wasn't the general at the time but was heavily involved). The group is also connected/responsible to terror attacks in Argentina, India, Bulgaria, Georgia, West Africa, and Thailand. He was also the guy holding the purse strings and giving orders to Palestinian Islamic Jihad. There actually is a lot available in news reports if you were willing to look into it.


    His nastiness shouldn't be a partisan issue. There is enough to criticize Trump on this for without trying to pretend this guy was a good guy. Even the Democrats are saying the problem wasn't the target but the timing and Trump's refusal to inform Democrats when he should have.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidious Von View Post
    Most of that is propaganda basketcase, especially Al Jazeera. ....
    Everything can be called 'propaganda' if you don't like it and the most legitimate news organization has bias, even if it is just in what it decides to publish. The question is whether the news organization feels the reports are valid enough to print.

    And considering the wide variety of sources commenting on it, it is pretty likely that there is some validity.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
    I love how you can quote Iranian government run media with a straight face but keep calling Israeli reports 'propaganda'.
    I stated that its Iranian media, but that statement has now been confirmed by the Iraqi government as correct.
    Which means Trump escalated the Iran affair just as Saudi, Iran and Iraq were trying to deescalate it.
    Donít be a tough guy. Donít be a fool! I will call you later

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
    Everything can be called 'propaganda' if you don't like it and the most legitimate news organization has bias, even if it is just in what it decides to publish. The question is whether the news organization feels the reports are valid enough to print.

    And considering the wide variety of sources commenting on it, it is pretty likely that there is some validity.
    Are you really going to argue that Iran was involved in 9/11?
    That's big sleazy territory, or maybe zailbetter.
    Donít be a tough guy. Donít be a fool! I will call you later

  24. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,321
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
    There's lots.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...l-afghanistan/
    https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Gl...anistan-609144
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...140942411.html

    And as I said, often world politics is more important than religious/local politics.

    Again, read my original post.
    Your links indicate a very recent attempt to improve relationships between Iran and the Taliban. In the past, Iran supported the Shia Militant factions that actually battled against the Taliban in Afghanistan. Look up your links. All that is occurring is that the recent policies of the Trump regime seems to bring these militant factions to agree to a standoff against one another. Anyway, once again there is no way that el Qaeda would have a relationship with Iran, as they are the ones that were battling against Iran in Iraq and Syria!!


    On ignore: Disrespectful Individuals!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •