Thread: RIP Danny Grant

RIP Danny Grant

Ex NHLer Danny Grant has died, he was 73. He won the Calder in '68 and won the Stanley Cup with the Habs that year. He was a 50 goal scorer.

What I remember most about him was that he won the "NHL Showdown" (for you young'uns it was a predecessor to the skills competition) twice, beating out HOFers in their prime.

Oddly enough, he won the Cup with the Habs in '68, then went to the North Stars the following season and won the Calder.

Ken Dryden accomplished same feat, won Lord Stanley in '71 ( he also won Conn Smythe in '71) and then the Calder in '72

Quote Originally Posted by unassuming View Post
    Ken Dryden accomplished same feat, won Lord Stanley in '71 ( he also won Conn Smythe in '71) and then the Calder in '72
    That's even crazier, to win Conn Smythe before Calder.

As a young kid (elementary school) I remember watching him play Junior hockey for the TPT Petes

Quote Originally Posted by northofsixty View Post
    As a young kid (elementary school) I remember watching him play Junior hockey for the TPT Petes
    He was a bit before my time. The old geezers said he played with Shutt and O'Shea as juniors. Or, was it Redmond and O'Shea?

Quote Originally Posted by Darts View Post
    He was a bit before my time. The old geezers said he played with Shutt and O'Shea as juniors. Or, was it Redmond and O'Shea?
    He never played junior with Schutt (who played junior with the Toronto Marlboros) He did play with Mickey Redmond and Danny O'Shea with the Petes ( see Hockeydb.com - a wonderful resource)

He did play with Mickey Redmond and Danny O'Shea with the Petes ( see Hockeydb.com - a wonderful resource)
    So, it was Redmond, O'Shea and Grant. My memory is fading (I will soon be entering old geezer territory myself) but I do remember O'Shea was the centre.

So, it was Redmond, O'Shea and Grant. My memory is fading (I will soon be entering old geezer territory myself) but I do remember O'Shea was the centre.
    According to hockeydb.com O'Shea was playing with the Oshawa Generals by the time Mickey Redmond joined the Petes as a 15 year old. So Grant, O'Shea and Redmond never played together on the Petes (assuming hockeydb.com is correct which I imagine it is) but Grant and Redmond did - but you are right that O'Shea played centre.

...My memory is fading (I will soon be entering old geezer territory myself).
    Ah, a Porch Person.

Grant, O'Shea and Redmond never played together on the Petes (assuming hockeydb.com is correct which I imagine it is) but Grant and Redmond did - but you are right that O'Shea played centre.
    3 more questions:

1) Who was the centre between Redmond and Grant when they were with the Petes?

2) How did Shutt (Toronto boy) end up with the Montreal Canadiens?

3) Is Danny Grant related to Tommy Grant (Hamilton Tiger Cats)?

(I could probably Google this but that would be cheating. Much better to hear it from an "old geezer" (I mean that in the best way possible) like you. LOL)

3 more questions:

(I could probably Google this but that would be cheating. Much better to hear it from an "old geezer" (I mean that in the best way possible) like you. LOL)
    Answers
    1. Looking at the stats from the last year they played together on the Petes I would say Andre Lacroix was their centre as Lacroix, Grant, and Redmond were 1, 2, 3 in scoring.
    I only went to a few games as I was in very, very early elementary school when they played for the Petes so it is not like I have a clear memory of them playing.

2. Steve Schutt
    was drafted by Montreal 4th overall in the 1972 NHL Entry Draft

I have no idea.

I am tired after answering these questions so I am off to have a nap.

I am off to have a nap.]
    Yes, please. Us old geezers need our rest. LOL

Since nobody mentioned it, Ted Green also passed away in recent days.

He was the Rod Gilbert of his time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unassuming View Post
    Ex NHLer Danny Grant has died, he was 73.
    Sad news! He hadn't been in the spotlight since his retirement but I sure remember him as a player with the Habs during their glorious days.
    9n9w-F93-Z5m-M5c-Epglp-Q5-e9-BOR45-GDe-me-Q531-Hz71-ZM9u-QKg79-Lnr-OAXB3ov7-B

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshaft View Post
    ...I sure remember him as a player with the Habs during their glorious days.
    All 23 games (regular season), 10 (playoff).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by superstar_88 View Post
    He was the Rod Gilbert of his time
    How so? He was in Rod Gilbert's time. They retired only a year apart and Rod had a much greater career.

Blog Entries
    3 more questions:

This thread is about Danny Grant and you bring up Redmond, Shutt, O'Shea, Tommy Grant, Ted Green's death? and how did Shutt get on the Habs?. Classic derail.

Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    How so? He was in Rod Gilbert's time. They retired only a year apart and Rod had a much greater career.
    It was to catch if Dart knew that seeing that's he's old enough to see The Rocket play. He probably hasn't even seen Russian Rocket play

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by superstar_88 View Post
    It was to catch if Dart knew that seeing that's he's old enough to see The Rocket play. He probably hasn't even seen Russian Rocket play
    Sorry if I blew it for you, but you had me baffled. I was also too focussed on pointing out to Dart how he continuously makes these wildly random statements in so many threads that are totally off topic and derail the conversations. Is it a stream of consciousness thing? Too much acid?

The two BFF's are back. Time for the adults to leave the room.

Blog Entries
    The two BFF's are back. Time for the adults to leave the room.
    I will stay if you can tell me a plausible reason how asking how the Habs acquired Shutt is relevant to Grant and his career. How does it further the discussion that relates to the topic of this thread.

Missing since AD 393
    I also have fond memories of grant winning The Showdown series. i did forget that he won it twice though.

I don't remember him much with the Habs though. But do recall that my dad telling me that is where he started his career.

A quick check also reminds me that the year he scored 50 he was on a line with Marcel Dionne. I bet he was pissed the next year when Marcel was traded,lol. Not the best trade for the wings. Terry Harper and Dan Maloney were good hockey players but No Marcel.

Speaking of bad trades the Canadiens traded Grant and Claude Larose and Bob Murdoch to the Stars for a first rounder and Marshall Johnston. The first rounder was the 8th pick overall in 1972. They selected Dave Gardner. Philly selected 7th that year and took Bill Barber. Bob Nystrom went in the 3rd round and Peter McNab went in the 6th.

Anyways thanks to Danny for adding some excitement to all the kids pretending to be him playing ''showdown'' in the streets and driveways of many a Canadian neighbourhood. RIP.