Thread: British family mistakenly crosses into US. Detained with 3 month old baby

British family mistakenly crosses into US. Detained with 3 month old baby

"Two British couples and their three young children were driving near the U.S.-Canada border on Oct. 3 during a visit to Vancouver when an animal ventured into the road, forcing them to make an unexpected detour. But before the family could get very far, flashing lights from a police car appeared in their rearview mirror. The officer that pulled them over was American — they had accidentally crossed the border.

The vacationing family says this was the moment their trip turned into “the scariest experience of our lives,” according to a complaint filed Friday to the inspector general of the Department of Homeland Security. Instead of being allowed to return to Canada or the U.K., Eileen Connors alleges that her entire family, including her 3-month-old son, ended up detained at the Berks Family Residential Center in Leesport, Pa., almost 3,000 miles away, where they have spent more than a week living in “frigid” and “filthy” conditions. As of late Monday, Bridget Cambria, the Connorses’ lawyer, told The Washington Post that the British family was still at the center waiting to be deported."

Welcome to the Unfriendly States of America.

This was clearly an attempted invasion. The British were coming to reclaim the colonies! This is why we need the second amendment!

I crossed at this very same point in 1992. like a dummy

Can somebody explain how a couple can swerve to avoid a animal in the road and then keep going until you cross the border? And if lights were flashing in the rear view mirror then they must have been in Canada returning to the US. Are they that stupid to not know they had crossed the border? Why not turn around. Were they using GPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Worf View Post
    Can somebody explain how a couple can swerve to avoid a animal in the road and then keep going until you cross the border? And if lights were flashing in the rear view mirror then they must have been in Canada returning to the US. Are they that stupid to not know they had crossed the border? Why not turn around. Were they using GPS?
    See, that’s what I’m saying. It was clearly those limey redcoat bastards trying to take their land back!

Blog Entries
    Funny how much of a hard time they give to people that made a mistake and have no intention of sneaking in to the country to live and work.

Quote Originally Posted by khufu View Post
    "Two British couples and their three young children were driving near the U.S.-Canada border on Oct. 3 during a visit to Vancouver when an animal ventured into the road, forcing them to make an unexpected detour.
    What kind of animal can force people to take a detour? It better have been a massive bear mauling their vehicle, otherwise I don't see how their argument holds weight.

Update:

Those guys may not be that innocent after all. Their vehicle was observed on surveillance video deliberating making a U-turn into the US. And two of them had apparently been previously denied US entry visas. Plus Canada apparently denied them re-entry after they were stopped. Furthermore, they were said to be in possession of $16,000.

Looks like a deliberate attempt to sneak into the US illegally with enough cash to sustain them until, perhaps, they found employment. The plot thickens.

Blog Entries
    Yet they’re still waving them through at the southern border, while we have RCMP valet service on Roxham road.

Update:

Those guys may not be that innocent after all. Their vehicle was observed on surveillance video deliberating making a U-turn into the US. And two of them had apparently been previously denied US entry visas. Plus Canada apparently denied them re-entry after they were stopped. Furthermore, they were said to be in possession of $16,000.

Looks like a deliberate attempt to sneak into the US illegally with enough cash to sustain them until, perhaps, they found employment. The plot thickens.
    Thar sounds right. Two couples plus 3 children in a vehicle heading to the USA . If that were me, it would have been 2 vehicles. I think the Americans got it right.

Update:

Yes, there is more holes in this story than a piece of swiss cheese.

Exactly what kind of animal did they swerve to avoid? A brontosaurus? That might be believable in terms of having to REALLY swerve. But your average deer? Please.

Soon as I read that 2 of them were turned away from the USA a year ago, I knew there was way more to this story.

I have the feeling we're just dealing with British stubborness. "You won't let me in? I will just go around you cause I'm smarter than you."

Idiots.

The police have the family on camera sneaking across the border. There was no animal, there was a very slow winding maneuver through a ditch, toss in a u-turn or some other maneuvers ... practically right in front of the police.

Two of the family heavily playing the victim card were recently denied entry to the US.

Given current sentiments and situational responses in the US it was a flat out stupid move. Instead of them piling on in the media about the injustice of it all, they should be thankful their little holiday will end shortly with a nice trip back home. They could have been held in some horrible detention centres for a long time.

Never, ever, fuck with the border.