Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 97 to 120 of 126

Thread: Guy Lafleur

  1. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    They insulted my intelligence as they did George's, who mocked you. Maybe add him to the growing list of BFFs.
    Hey Master Nitpicker, George, unlike you, at least knows something about hockey (but not idioms).
    Last edited by Darts; 10-08-2019 at 10:08 PM.

  2. #98
    Actually, I think "who were the "Silver Seven" would make a good trivia question. Sorry Shack, we all know how smart you think you are.

    "Originally Posted by shack
    They insulted my intelligence"

  3. #99
    Missing since AD 393
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    On the slopes of Mount Parnassus, Greece
    Posts
    5,071
    Quote Originally Posted by northofsixty View Post
    Originally Posted by The Oracle
    I had the Espo mask and used it when in nets playing road hockey,lol. Come to think about it. I didn't really need it but it did help with whole professional player fantasy angle I suppose...



    CAR !!!!!!
    And of course our city politicians in their infinite wisdom have made street hockey illegal.

    Quite a progressive world we live in.

  4. #100
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    27,905
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Darts View Post
    Actually, I think "who were the "Silver Seven" would make a good trivia question. Sorry Shack, we all know how smart you think you are.

    "Originally Posted by shack
    They insulted my intelligence"
    Listen dude. A guy (YOU) who cannot even tell time is in no position to discuss anyone else's intelligence. I notice that you deleted that thread about Syria, the one where you thought that someone started a thread on the same topic after you did, when in actuality you made yours 7 hours after the other. You thought 12:23 AM was later than your post at approximately 7:00 AM.

    Keep posting nonsense and I will keep pointing it out.

    Trivia question of Darts difficulty: Who has won more Stanley Cups, Toronto or Edmonton? p.s. You are not allowed to look it up?

  5. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    Listen dude. A guy (YOU) who cannot even tell time is in no position to discuss anyone else's intelligence. I notice that you deleted that thread about Syria, the one where you thought that someone started a thread on the same topic after you did, when in actuality you made yours 7 hours after the other. You thought 12:23 AM was later than your post at approximately 7:00 AM.

    Keep posting nonsense and I will keep pointing it out.

    Trivia question of Darts difficulty: Who has won more Stanley Cups, Toronto or Edmonton? p.s. You are not allowed to look it up?
    As usual you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

  6. #102
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    27,905
    Blog Entries
    1

  7. #103
    When I mentioned "7 man hockey", another poster mentioned "Ottawa Silver Seven". The name sounded familiar so I decided to look it up. Yes, there was a team named "Ottawa Silver Seven" and yes they did play 7 man hockey and yes they won a Stanley Cup.

    "Group picture of the 1905 Ottawa "Silver Seven", Stanley Cup champions

    The first "dynasty" of the Ottawa HC was from 1903 until 1906, when the team was known as the "Silver Seven".[32] The era started with the arrival of Frank McGee for the 1903 season"

  8. #104
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,087
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
    And of course our city politicians in their infinite wisdom have made street hockey illegal.

    Quite a progressive world we live in.

    Ha ha

    https://i.postimg.cc/gnLZ4Xf1/download.jpg
    326aba04b11843e4ae47dbe2c96c64ea-f

  9. #105
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,087
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowjello View Post
    Doug Harvey was Bobby Orr before Bobby Orr, Orr just took it to another level.
    You don't here his name mentioned so much anymore when they talk about the old greats.
    My dad was a huge fan of Beliveau, Harvey, and Moore.
    Do you think Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey were at the same par of offensive skills? Just curious....
    326aba04b11843e4ae47dbe2c96c64ea-f

  10. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshaft View Post
    Do you think Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey were at the same par of offensive skills? Just curious....
    It's hard to judge sometimes because the game is a little different in different eras.
    Just based on offence, I'd say they were pretty close.
    My own POV, I've never seen anyone as singularly dominant as Orr.
    Honestly, when he got the puck, you just hold your breath waiting for magic.
    He was spectacular at every aspect of the game, with unbelievable athleticism.
    Aside from his speed, he had different gears, where he would get guys to commit on him and turn it up just enough
    to get by.

    I know, I'm a total Orr groupie.

  11. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshaft View Post
    Do you think Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey were at the same par of offensive skills? Just curious....
    Bobby Orr was a bit before my time but I did see him play on film (those old films have terrible resolution). Statistically, I think Orr has the best offensive numbers. Too bad his career was cut short after only 9 years (I think).

    I would place Paul Coffey and Scott Niedermayer on the same level. Neidermayer played for the defensive minded Devils so his offensive number don't reflect his true offensive skills.

    "An offensively-minded defenceman, Niedermayer was best known for his skating ability and drew comparison's to the game's offensive greats from the time he broke into the NHL.[72] He was compared to Paul Coffey for his ability to take the puck from his own goal line and convert a defensive situation into an offensive rush."

  12. #108
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,087
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowjello View Post
    It's hard to judge sometimes because the game is a little different in different eras.
    Just based on offence, I'd say they were pretty close.
    My own POV, I've never seen anyone as singularly dominant as Orr.
    Honestly, when he got the puck, you just hold your breath waiting for magic.
    He was spectacular at every aspect of the game, with unbelievable athleticism.
    Aside from his speed, he had different gears, where he would get guys to commit on him and turn it up just enough
    to get by.

    I know, I'm a total Orr groupie.
    Your narrative about Orr really demonstrates what a great and unique player he was. I feel like joining your Orr groupie lol.
    326aba04b11843e4ae47dbe2c96c64ea-f

  13. #109
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,087
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Darts View Post
    Bobby Orr was a bit before my time but I did see him play on film (those old films have terrible resolution). Statistically, I think Orr has the best offensive numbers. Too bad his career was cut short after only 9 years (I think).

    I would place Paul Coffey and Scott Niedermayer on the same level. Neidermayer played for the defensive minded Devils so his offensive number don't reflect his true offensive skills.

    "An offensively-minded defenceman, Niedermayer was best known for his skating ability and drew comparison's to the game's offensive greats from the time he broke into the NHL.[72] He was compared to Paul Coffey for his ability to take the puck from his own goal line and convert a defensive situation into an offensive rush."
    Good comparison but to me personally I always felt that Niedermayer was a bit more of a defensive defensemen than Orr.

    Regarding your comment on ability to take the puck from his own goal and convert a defensive situation into an offensive rush, I have seen both Orr and Coffey displaying that performance so many times as well. I'm not sure in the present-day NHL there are any more or less equivalent offensive defensemen in the game?
    326aba04b11843e4ae47dbe2c96c64ea-f

  14. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshaft View Post
    Do you think Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey were at the same par of offensive skills? Just curious....
    Orr was way better than Coffey offensively. Coffey had the benefit of playing with Gretzky, Gretz made everyone around him better.

    Orr made everyone around him better.

    Orr skated past opponents on both sides, Coffey skated around opponents on his backhand side only.

    When the Bruins were in town, Orr was "Booed" everytime he touched the puck, that's how great he was.

    Coffey looked the more smoother skater than Orr, but Orr was faster IMO.

    Orr is the only D-man to ever win the Art Ross, and he won it twice!!

    How great was Orr?- in the inaugural Canada Cup tournament in 1976, Orr was tied for the lead in points scored (9 points) with a Russian and Denis Potvin, all the while he was playing on one good knee (he had knee surgery the year before, and never skated the same-he skated gingerly on the bad knee)!

  15. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshaft View Post
    I have seen both Orr and Coffey displaying that performance so many times as well. I'm not sure in the present-day NHL there are any more or less equivalent offensive defensemen in the game?
    He's probably a year or two past his prime now but Erick Karlsson is/was the present day equivalent of Coffey. Maybe in another year or two I can say the same of Morgan Rielly.

  16. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by unassuming View Post
    Coffey looked the more smoother skater than Orr, but Orr was faster IMO.
    Niedermayer also look very smooth skating. Based on films I saw, Orr had a rather choppy skating style.

    Orr only played a total of 36 games in his last 3 years. Imagine how many more goals and assists if he was healthy?

  17. #113
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    27,905
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowjello View Post
    It's hard to judge sometimes because the game is a little different in different eras.
    Just based on offence, I'd say they were pretty close.
    Here is a perspective. Orr led the league in scoring (twice?) as a defenseman (I think he is the only one) with over 100 points and they only played 70-72 games, during a time where defensive hockey ruled. But he also played better defense and was more physical than Coffey. He changed how the game was played. Paul Coffey was super talented but aside from some raw numbers, he does not compare.

  18. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    Here is a perspective. Orr led the league in scoring (twice?) as a defenseman (I think he is the only one) with over 100 points and they only played 70-72 games, during a time where defensive hockey ruled. He changed how the game was played. Paul Coffey was super talented but aside from raw numbers, he does not compare.
    I would agree with you.
    Coffee did some good numbers too, but that's where it ends.
    Orr was as good defensively as he was offensively, and the only guy I've seen that could control the tempo of the game by himself.
    He's still the greatest ever, and totally fucking fearless.
    Unless somebody watched him in real time, they'll never understand.

  19. #115
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    not always sure...
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowjello View Post
    My own POV, I've never seen anyone as singularly dominant as Orr.
    Amongst the records that Orr set was one from the '70-'71 season when he finished the year with a plus-minus rating of +124.
    That still to me is just so inconceivable.

  20. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckertmg View Post
    Amongst the records that Orr set was one from the '70-'71 season when he finished the year with a plus-minus rating of +124.
    Impressive, yes but Larry Robinson isn't far behind at 120.

    Rk Name Age Pos Season GP G A P PIM +/- PPG SHG GWG G/GP A/GP P/GP
    1 CA Bobby Orr 22 D 1970‑71 78 37 102 139 91 124 5 3 5 0.474 1.308 1.782
    2 CA Larry Robinson 25 D 1976‑77 77 19 66 85 45 120 3 0 3 0.247 0.857 1.104
    3 CA Wayne Gretzky 23 F 1984‑85 80 73 135 208 52 100 8 11 7 0.913 1.688 2.600
    4 CA Dallas Smith 29 D 1970‑71 73 7 38 45 68 98 0 2 1 0.096 0.521 0.616
    5 CA Guy Lafleur 25 F 1976‑77 80 56 80 136 20 89 14 0 8 0.700 1.000 1.700
    6 CA Steve Shutt 24 F 1976‑77 80 60 45 105 28 89 8 0 9 0.750 0.563 1.313

  21. #117
    Missing since AD 393
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    On the slopes of Mount Parnassus, Greece
    Posts
    5,071
    Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    Here is a perspective. Orr led the league in scoring (twice?) as a defenseman (I think he is the only one) with over 100 points and they only played 70-72 games, during a time where defensive hockey ruled. But he also played better defense and was more physical than Coffey. He changed how the game was played. Paul Coffey was super talented but aside from some raw numbers, he does not compare.

    Another thing to consider about Orr is that he could fight when he had to.

    He backed down from no one. And he got tested quite a bit when he first came into the league.

    Paul Coffey was Bobby Orr light too me. A helluva player don't get me wrong but not the same calibre.

  22. #118
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    27,905
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Darts View Post
    Impressive, yes but Larry Robinson isn't far behind at 120.

    Rk Name Age Pos Season GP G A P PIM +/- PPG SHG GWG G/GP A/GP P/GP
    1 CA Bobby Orr 22 D 1970‑71 78 37 102 139 91 124 5 3 5 0.474 1.308 1.782
    2 CA Larry Robinson 25 D 1976‑77 77 19 66 85 45 120 3 0 3 0.247 0.857 1.104
    3 CA Wayne Gretzky 23 F 1984‑85 80 73 135 208 52 100 8 11 7 0.913 1.688 2.600
    4 CA Dallas Smith 29 D 1970‑71 73 7 38 45 68 98 0 2 1 0.096 0.521 0.616
    5 CA Guy Lafleur 25 F 1976‑77 80 56 80 136 20 89 14 0 8 0.700 1.000 1.700
    6 CA Steve Shutt 24 F 1976‑77 80 60 45 105 28 89 8 0 9 0.750 0.563 1.313
    Robinson is one of my all time faves, even for a Hab. But he does not enter into any discussion when Orr is involved.

    Same goes for Denis Potvin. He was a rookie in the Isles 1st year and had a crazy stat going something like being on the ice for every power play goal in franchise history for the 1st 10 or 12 years. And he was punishing. Still not on the same page as Orr.

  23. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by Darts View Post
    Orr only played a total of 36 games in his last 3 years. Imagine how many more goals and assists if he was healthy?

    In those last 36 games played in his last 3 years in NHL, he still managed to score 45 points (1.25 points per game) -skating on one bad painfully aching knee, that's mind boggling incredible!,

  24. #120
    The little things that made Orr beyond great.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku2752x_Lac
    At 3:35, he's on his back, pushes the puck to the blade of his stick with his elbow to set up a goal behind his back.

    At 15:30, throws himself face first to block a shot in his crease.

    A great video with hockey greats paying tribute.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k74iUt5bKNs

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •