Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Maple Leafs - 2019-20

Quote Originally Posted by superstar_88 View Post
    In conclusion, I believe it will be tough for the Leafs to juggle mutltiple large contracts. However the contracts themselves are not as outlandish as people put out to be. I believe if all pans out then looking back in 3 or 4 years the Leafs contracts won't be so "overpaid" as they look now. Just wanted to give some food for thought on this contract debate.
    I don't think anyone is saying the contract is outlandish, my original point is given the heavily loaded forwards contracts are going to undermine the overall makeup of the team.
    Having said that, I still think he got too much.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowjello View Post
    I still don't know how this fuckin thing works.
    So it's basically just dumping cap salaries for salaries outside the cap?

Why does it show up as salary under the cap in Cap Geek?
    Horton and Clarkson show up as salary because they're not on the L.T.I.R. list yet, they're on injured reserve (call it short term injured reserve if you want).

They have to be moved to the active roster before they can be placed on L.T.I.R. but the Leafs already have 23 players on the active roster, so they'll make the shift as they make their personnel decisions through the preseason.

Clarkson was traded for only because it would have given them a mechanism to sign Marner after October 1st if it went that long.
    Because Marner is signed already it's all kind of irrelevant; they'll just make the personnel decisions they would have made anyway.

Toronto has adopted Clarkson's salary but they'll move him off the cap along with Horton and just consider that wasted money.

Guys stop worrying about the Leafs cap crunch, they will sort it out and in the future as well. Just enjoy the up coming season.

They’re still paying Tim Horton?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckertmg View Post
    Horton and Clarkson show up as salary because they're not on the L.T.I.R. list yet, they're on injured reserve (call it short term injured reserve if you want).

They have to be moved to the active roster before they can be placed on L.T.I.R. but the Leafs already have 23 players on the active roster, so they'll make the shift as they make their personnel decisions through the preseason.

Clarkson was traded for only because it would have given them a mechanism to sign Marner after October 1st if it went that long.
    Because Marner is signed already it's all kind of irrelevant; they'll just make the personnel decisions they would have made anyway.

Toronto has adopted Clarkson's salary but they'll move him off the cap along with Horton and just consider that wasted money.
    Got it.
    Found this article and it seems that the purpose of LTIR contract is to bring you above the lower limit cap level, until the
    desired player is signed, Marner.
    Didn't realize it was an issue for the Leafs.
    Apologies for the misunderstanding.
    https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...-dubas-pridham

Quote Originally Posted by mellowjello View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying the contract is outlandish, my original point is given the heavily loaded forwards contracts are going to undermine the overall makeup of the team.
    Having said that, I still think he got too much.
    No one is denying the team is not balanced. They are loading heavy on forwards. No team has ever won a cup with a player earning more than 10 mill apparently and the Leafs have 3

There are 2 sides to negotiating. Leafs could have played hard ball but they didn't. They rather have Marner with the team rather than not

Anybody brave enough to predict the performance of the "Fab Four" (Mathews, Tavares, Marner and Nylander) in the regular season and playoffs (if they make it)? What will we get for $40 million?

Yeah, yeah, I know one member said individual performance is meaningless as long as the team wins the Cup.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darts View Post
    Anybody brave enough to predict the performance of the "Fab Four" (Mathews, Tavares, Marner and Rielly) in the regular season and playoffs (if they make it)? What will we get for $40 million?
    Fixed it for you.

Yeah, yeah, I know one member said individual performance is meaningless as long as the team wins the Cup.
    One member said it and just about everybody else believes it.

Astute Observer
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana View Post
    They’re still paying Tim Horton?
    Not much of a player though, he's putting up a lot of..................donuts.
    If you got it, a truck brought it.

Astute Observer
    Is the clock ticking on Nylander? Will he be with the Leafs after the deadline?
    If you got it, a truck brought it.

Enough talk about caps and contracts. Let's talk about how well or poorly the Leafs will perform on the ICE. Ok, I'll go first.

1) Leafs will not finish 1st in the Atlantic.
    2) Leafs will not win the CUP.
    3) No Leaf will win the Hart, Vezina, Rocket Richard or Art Ross trophies.
    4) Morgan Rielly might have a chance to win the Norris.
    5) Mathews might have a chance to win the Lady Byng because he doesn't hit people.
    6) No Leaf with the possible exception of Rielly will make the 1st or 2nd All Star Teams.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-all-sta...on/c-307914356

Enough talk about caps and contracts. Let's talk about how well or poorly the Leafs will perform on the ICE. Ok, I'll go first.

1) Leafs will not finish 1st in the Atlantic.
    2) Leafs will not win the CUP.
    3) No Leaf will win the Hart, Vezina, Rocket Richard or Art Ross trophies.
    4) Morgan Rielly might have a chance to win the Norris.
    5) Mathews might have a chance to win the Lady Byng because he doesn't hit people.
    6) No Leaf with the possible exception of Rielly will make the 1st or 2nd All Star Teams.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-all-sta...on/c-307914356
    Sounds more like trolling than making predictions.

Quote Originally Posted by smuddan View Post
    Those where last years predictions too. How predictable.

Feel free to make your own predictions.

Quote Originally Posted by glamphotographer View Post
    Those where last years predictions too. How predictable.
    This year will be same as last year, unfortunately.

You had the balls to make predictions for the 2019 playoffs. You should make some predictions for 2019-2020 as well.

The Leafs lost 3-1 to the Sens. The Leafs Anemic offense (that costs over $40M) continues the Leafs are looking at a draft lottery this year. (Darts)

The Leafs just played 1 pre-season game, things for the Leafs coaching staff to work on for next game. (Me)

Feel free to make your own predictions.
    I don't like making predictions. I only give advice, sometimes free for my home team.

Odds of winning Stanley cup
    https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/stanley-cup-futures
    Even the most favoured team is still 7.5 to 1 odds so one can make that prediction about any team.
    Only someone who knows nothing about hockey would make a prediction about a team not winning the cup.

This year will be same as last year, unfortunately.

You had the balls to make predictions for the 2019 playoffs. You should make some predictions for 2019-2020 as well.
    Ok you're right. Where did my senses go as a die hard negative Leaf fan? $40M wasted on small skilled forwards that lack grit and don't hit. I predict the Leafs will finish 13th in the conference, in fact by Feb Babcock will be fired. The Leafs win the 3rd overall pick in the draft lottery.

I don't like making predictions.
    You are one wise man. I remember when glamphotographer made his Stanley Cup predictions earlier this year. It was a mess.

If it means losing Muzzin next summer then goodbye Nylander. He had a calming influence on the Leafs blue line core, you can't put a price tag on that. The Leafs could have beaten the Bruins - had Marner shown up.

What's this about an escalating salary cap, has the NHL done a deal with the Nevada Gaming Commission?

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious Von View Post
    If it means losing Muzzin next summer then goodbye Nylander. He had a calming influence on the Leafs blue line core, you can't put a price tag on that. The Leafs could have beaten the Bruins - had Marner shown up.

What's this about an escalating salary cap, has the NHL done a deal with the Nevada Gaming Commission?
    I agree that at some point Nylander will be have to go for a defenceman like Muzzin or better. You're giving up a lot of good young years in Nylander
    for an older D man who's 30 yrs. old right now.
    You take Muzzin away, Dermott is the only guy that has any physical presence with offensive dimension.
    You cannot win a cup without a solid D, if/when it happens it's a pure aberration.

Quote Originally Posted by superstar_88 View Post
    No one is denying the team is not balanced. They are loading heavy on forwards. No team has ever won a cup with a player earning more than 10 mill apparently and the Leafs have 3

There are 2 sides to negotiating. Leafs could have played hard ball but they didn't. They rather have Marner with the team rather than not
    I would rather have Marner than not, no question.
    This season, will be really interesting in that I think the Leafs have a real shot at the cup and we will
    see exactly who our young players are moving ahead.

You are one wise man. I remember when glamphotographer made his Stanley Cup predictions earlier this year. It was a mess.
    I predict the leafs not to make the playoffs and Babcock to be fired. The silver lining the Leafs win the 3rd overall pick in the draft lottery. That's what i'm going with.