Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Doug Ford Recommends Jenni Byrne For $197K Job With Ontario Energy Board

  1. #1

    Doug Ford Recommends Jenni Byrne For $197K Job With Ontario Energy Board

    Oh Doug, didn't we just go through this?



    01/11/2019 16:07 EST

    Doug Ford Recommends Jenni Byrne For $197K Job With Ontario Energy Board

    The premier's principal secretary is up for a full-time job with the Ontario Energy Board.

    Allison Jones Canadian Press

    TORONTO — A top staffer to Ontario Premier Doug Ford is leaving her post for a high-paid appointment with the province's energy regulator, the latest in what the Opposition calls a series of cushy jobs for Doug Ford's friends.

    Ford has recommended Jenni Byrne, who has served as his principal secretary, become a full-time member of the Ontario Energy Board.

    That's a two-year term that comes with an annual salary of about $197,000, the premier's office said.

    NDP critic Peter Tabuns called it "another ticket on (Ford's) gravy train.''

    "Doug Ford trades in favours and backroom deals, and clearly, he wants to make sure the people who are supposed to be independent from politicians — from police to energy regulators — are loyal to him,'' Tabuns said in a statement.

    "Stacking the OEB with his buddies and turning our energy decision-making body into a dumping ground for Ford loyalists diminishes its independence, and will have major consequences for Ontario's energy sector.''

    Ford family friend Ron Taverner has been named Ontario Provincial Police commissioner, though the appointment has been delayed pending an investigation by the integrity commissioner. A deputy OPP commissioner is trying to get the courts to order the Ontario ombudsman to investigate as well, citing concerns about political interference.

    Taverner initially did not meet the requirements listed for the commissioner position. The Ford government has admitted it lowered the requirements for the position to attract a wider range of candidates.

    Past Progressive Conservative party president Rueben Devlin was granted a three-year term as a health-care adviser, Ford campaign adviser Ian Todd was appointed Ontario's trade representative to the United States, with a $350,000 salary, and Ford family lawyer Gavin Tighe was appointed to the Public Accountants Council.

    'An invaluable resource'

    Byrne, who was Ford's director of field operations during last year's election and who also ran former Prime Minister Stephen Harper's campaigns in 2011 and 2015, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

    In a statement, Ford said Byrne had been "an invaluable resource'' to him, his office and all members of the government.

    "I wish to sincerely thank her for dedication in working in the best interests of the people of Ontario,'' he wrote.

    https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2019/01/...rd_a_23640694/

  2. #2
    Why is this thread? She is a very competent women. You having something against smart women earning the same as men? Why didn't you publish the Sunshine list when Wynne was handing out the "plum" jobs? Just being your usual biased self?

  3. #3
    Every politician does it, par for the course.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    10,355
    Blog Entries
    1
    Not unexpected from Dumb DOFO. We are seeing him waste taxpayers money on salaries for his elitist buddies when you look at the list of appointees.
    If Butler is a Bernie Sander's Supporter, then us "Lefties" are Donald Trump Supporters!!



    On ignore: Disrespectful Individuals.

  5. #5
    Oh, wow!!! A whole 197k?
    We have to send a clear message, just because your child gets across the border doesn't mean your child gets to stay. HRC

  6. #6
    You have to hand it to Byrne. For foul mouthed piece of trailer park trash she’s done really well for herself and has rebounded nicely from the humiliation of being the campaign manager for one of the worst campaigns in recent history (she managed Harper’s 2015 loss and was completely tone deaf throughout.)

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by LickingGravity View Post
    Why is this thread? She is a very competent women. You having something against smart women earning the same as men? Why didn't you publish the Sunshine list when Wynne was handing out the "plum" jobs? Just being your usual biased self?
    Sounds like you have a hard on for her. Obviously she's only getting the job based on nepotism rather than qualifications.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by bver_hunter View Post
    Not unexpected from Dumb DOFO. We are seeing him waste taxpayers money on salaries for his elitist buddies when you look at the list of appointees.
    How's he wasting taxpayer money? He needs to fill the position, Him hiring her is nepotism and is wrong if she's not qualified but the money would end up going to someone who filled that job so how is it a waste?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by azeri99 View Post
    How's he wasting taxpayer money? He needs to fill the position, Him hiring her is nepotism and is wrong if she's not qualified but the money would end up going to someone who filled that job so how is it a waste?
    It depends on if he's paying her that much to his puppet.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post
    It depends on if he's paying her that much to his puppet.
    That's not the point of my post, it's not a waste of taxpayer money, somebody would have had the job anyway, whether she deserves the job or is qualified a is another issue.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by azeri99 View Post
    That's not the point of my post, it's not a waste of taxpayer money, somebody would have had the job anyway, whether she deserves the job or is qualified a is another issue.
    You don't get that if she's a puppet she would most likely cause more financial damage in addition to what her salary would be? This government's MO is cutting taxes for the rich, while everyone else bares the brunt of the effects. The 197k is just the tip of the iceberg.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post
    You don't get that if she's a puppet she would most likely cause more financial damage in addition to what her salary would be? This government's MO is cutting taxes for the rich, while everyone else bares the brunt of the effects. The 197k is just the tip of the iceberg.
    What does her job have to do with them cutting taxes for the rich? it's a job with the energy board. Will they only cut energy costs for the rich?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by azeri99 View Post
    What does her job have to do with them cutting taxes for the rich? it's a job with the energy board. Will they only cut energy costs for the rich?
    The Ontario Energy Board is supposed to be at an arms length reach from the government, being a Ford crony will make that difficult. We'll have too see what she will do but I doubt it will be things that are better for the Middle or working class.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by azeri99 View Post
    whether she deserves the job or is qualified a is another issue.
    That is the issue.
    Phil McNasty has welched on our bet.
    At least I don't have to post his racist pictures any more.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post
    The Ontario Energy Board is supposed to be at an arms length reach from the government, being a Ford crony will make that difficult. We'll have too see what she will do but I doubt it will be things that are better for the Middle or working class.
    Your point was she would make things better for the rich, how would she do that in the position that she's in?

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by azeri99 View Post
    Your point was she would make things better for the rich, how would she do that in the position that she's in?
    The point is, nothing in Byrne’s past qualifies her for this position. It’s hard to see if she even graduated from University - she dropped out of nursing college and then did some time at University if Ottawa (where she was President if the campus Reform Party) but there are no references to her ever graduating. She has been a political hack (and “hack” is almost literal because she had a reputation as a person who got all her enemies - and I’m talking about within her own party). She ran a disasterous campaign for the CPC in 2015 - so her ability to listen to what the public wants is questionable.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    10,355
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by azeri99 View Post
    How's he wasting taxpayer money? He needs to fill the position, Him hiring her is nepotism and is wrong if she's not qualified but the money would end up going to someone who filled that job so how is it a waste?
    It is a waste of taxpayer's money if the person is not qualified. It is like bringing in a crappy contractor to do a shady job and then you have to have the job fixed due to the poor work carried out by that contractor. That involves additional costs. If someone qualified for the job was appointed then we can ensure that the Department runs efficiently!!
    If Butler is a Bernie Sander's Supporter, then us "Lefties" are Donald Trump Supporters!!



    On ignore: Disrespectful Individuals.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by essguy_ View Post
    The point is, nothing in Byrne’s past qualifies her for this position. It’s hard to see if she even graduated from University - she dropped out of nursing college and then did some time at University if Ottawa (where she was President if the campus Reform Party) but there are no references to her ever graduating. She has been a political hack (and “hack” is almost literal because she had a reputation as a person who got all her enemies - and I’m talking about within her own party). She ran a disasterous campaign for the CPC in 2015 - so her ability to listen to what the public wants is questionable.
    I'm not arguing that point. My posts was in response to how she would make it better for rich people.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by bver_hunter View Post
    It is a waste of taxpayer's money if the person is not qualified. It is like bringing in a crappy contractor to do a shady job and then you have to have the job fixed due to the poor work carried out by that contractor. That involves additional costs. If someone qualified for the job was appointed then we can ensure that the Department runs efficiently!!
    You have a point that's true if she can't do the job it could end up costing more, but all politicians do it. Your girl Wynne hired her brother in law to run e-health. I'm not saying it's right but that's politics

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    10,355
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by azeri99 View Post
    You have a point that's true if she can't do the job it could end up costing more, but all politicians do it. Your girl Wynne hired her brother in law to run e-health. I'm not saying it's right but that's politics
    Rounthwaite has been general counsel for the giant agency charged with getting health records online for more than four years before Wynne became premier. He had the experience for that particular role. Could there have been a better candidate? Probably. But that pales in comparison when you consider this Ford appointment with no experience, and Trump's appointments of his Daughter and Son-in-Law. But Wynne was severely criticized for it.
    If Butler is a Bernie Sander's Supporter, then us "Lefties" are Donald Trump Supporters!!



    On ignore: Disrespectful Individuals.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by bver_hunter View Post
    Rounthwaite has been general counsel for the giant agency charged with getting health records online for more than four years before Wynne became premier. He had the experience for that particular role. Could there have been a better candidate? Probably. But that pales in comparison when you consider this Ford appointment with no experience, and Trump's appointments of his Daughter and Son-in-Law. But Wynne was severely criticized for it.
    She should have been just like he was. He was roundly criticized for hiring Jared and Ivanka, but again you bring in Trump to a topic that doesn't involve him at all we are talking about the Ontario premier.That's what the OP was about. I agree Ford shouldn't have hired her if even if she is qualified. He shouldn't be giving the job to a friend.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by azeri99 View Post
    That's not the point of my post, it's not a waste of taxpayer money, somebody would have had the job anyway, whether she deserves the job or is qualified a is another issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankfooter View Post
    That is the issue.
    JT isnt qualified to do his job either and you support his ideas?

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Fathammer View Post
    JT isnt qualified to do his job either and you support his ideas?
    I think your lack of English skills leave you unqualified to partake in this debate.
    Phil McNasty has welched on our bet.
    At least I don't have to post his racist pictures any more.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •