Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 24 of 26

Thread: DJIA lower than January 2, 2018

  1. #1

    DJIA lower than January 2, 2018

    4500 to go from Trump inauguration


    Where is OTB?
    The statements, views and opinions expressed in this column are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent anybody else.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by danmand View Post
    4500 to go from Trump inauguration


    Where is OTB?

    The craziest thing is that people bragged all the way up that it was the Trump bump. Now there is radio silence. Trump is more responsible for the decline than he was for the rise. The rise was on the back of unprecedented stimulus to an already growing economy - the tax cuts and the spending. It does not take any talent to spend money. 2018 in the market was also on Trump. He shot himself in the foot with his idiotic trade wars and effectively negated the previous year's spending. The ham fisted way he has fought against ALL former trade partners has raised legitimate concerns over trade and global growth. He even fucked up the oil market by imposing Iranian sanctions then begging SA to pump as much oil as they could ahead of the mid-terms. Then he screwed SA by giving away exemptions to Iranian oil customers - making the sanctions totally ineffective - result: an oil glut.

    Now sentiment has turned negative but it's not negative enough to signify a bottom - no panic just a buyer's strike on dips now. As I've said before the G20 - IF Trump wanted to inject a little stability into the markets he could simply turf Navarro which would be a sign that at least he wants a deal. The problem right now are the mixed messages coming out of the Whitehouse. It's kind of funny (as long as you're on the right side of the market). Navarro an ideologue and a Democrat and he's giving very bad advice to Trump and making stupid public statements. But Trump lets him...

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hornyville
    Posts
    2,657
    Quote Originally Posted by danmand View Post
    DJIA lower than January 2, 2018
    It's the trade war between you know who.

    It would appear with recent events that this will not even end now.

    Capital investment is down around the world, because who is going to build plants and equipment when no business knows what the tariff/regulatory regime will be like.

    Until the trade war is done, no one will jump the gun.

    If there is no resolution to the trade war, then it can only escalate, which in turn creates more uncertainty for corporations globally, and uncertainty about business capital investments.

    The uncertainty over the trade war is a drag on economic growth, and in turn the stocks.

  4. #4
    Never Been Justly Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Hooterville
    Posts
    39,613


    At the bottom of all the tributes paid to democracy, is the little man, walking into the little booth, with a little pencil, making a little cross on a little bit of paper - no amount of rhetoric or voluminous discussion can possibly diminish the overwhelming importance of the point.

  5. #5
    Half Man Half Amazing
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Room 112
    Posts
    17,210
    I think it broke through 27,000 for the first time. Good call danmand. You must have gone to the bver_hunter school of predictions

    I shine and rise at the same time.

  6. #6
    I follow the Austrian school of economics. See the DJIA in grams of gold.

    http://pricedingold.com/charts/DIA-2002.pdf

    It is not gold going up, it is our money losing value.
    The statements, views and opinions expressed in this column are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent anybody else.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    13,954
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by K Douglas View Post
    I think it broke through 27,000 for the first time. Good call danmand. You must have gone to the bver_hunter school of predictions
    The K Douglas nonsense once again. He predicted that The Republicans would win the mid terms. What happened there??


    On ignore: Disrespectful Individuals!!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by K Douglas View Post
    I think it broke through 27,000 for the first time. Good call danmand. You must have gone to the bver_hunter school of predictions
    Flush with almost 2 years of Trump tax cuts, corporations have been buying back their own stock and inflating their stock prices at a 25 - 33% rate of volume for all stock market activities.

    The budget deficit with just 3 months left in the fiscal year is projected to rise to over $1trillion dollars, most of it due to, yes once again, Trump's tax cuts for corporations and the super wealthy.

    Nothing like Trump's 'Reverse Robin Hood' magical economy.
    I'm a bitter house**** baby....so why don't you **** me.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by danmand View Post
    I follow the Austrian school of economics. See the DJIA in grams of gold.

    http://pricedingold.com/charts/DIA-2002.pdf

    It is not gold going up, it is our money losing value.
    I'm sorry, but you need to enroll in a more demanding school of economics.

    This likely Gold Bug website is arbitrarily picking as a starting point for the graph 2002 a very low point for gold. It was $278 ounce at the start of 2002. It only takes us old guys a second to remember gold was over $800 ounce in 1980. Most gold bug websites deliberately don't chart from that period. Very deceptive.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by WyattEarp View Post
    I'm sorry, but you need to enroll in a more demanding school of economics.

    This likely Gold Bug website is arbitrarily picking as a starting point for the graph 2002 a very low point for gold. It was $278 ounce at the start of 2002. It only takes us old guys a second to remember gold was over $800 ounce in 1980. Most gold bug websites deliberately don't chart from that period. Very deceptive.
    As we are discussing Trumps impact of the DJIA during his presidency, I think the chart I showed is good enough.Just focus on the time period 2016 and forward.

    If you want to discuss the value of gold over longer periods, I agree that is an interesting topic, and that the chart's starting point is a bit deceptive.
    The statements, views and opinions expressed in this column are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent anybody else.

  11. #11
    Half Man Half Amazing
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Room 112
    Posts
    17,210
    Quote Originally Posted by bver_hunter View Post
    The K Douglas nonsense once again. He predicted that The Republicans would win the mid terms. What happened there??
    I did no such thing. I said they would gain seats in the Senate and lose the HofR but not relatively as bad as Obama did in 2010 or Clinton did in 1994.

    I shine and rise at the same time.

  12. #12
    The market goes up and down daily.

    Tomorrow it will climb and nobody will mention anything about it.

    Zzzzzzz.......

  13. #13
    Half Man Half Amazing
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Room 112
    Posts
    17,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Fathammer View Post
    The market goes up and down daily.

    Tomorrow it will climb and nobody will mention anything about it.

    Zzzzzzz.......
    Actually tomorrow the markets will be closed since its Saturday

    I shine and rise at the same time.

  14. #14
    Who was President when Buffet bailed out wall street?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by K Douglas View Post
    Actually tomorrow the markets will be closed since its Saturday
    And somehow the price of gas will change a few times this weekend since it is market controlled.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    13,954
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by K Douglas View Post
    I did no such thing. I said they would gain seats in the Senate and lose the HofR but not relatively as bad as Obama did in 2010 or Clinton did in 1994.
    Well, I did say that the markets will go up, but sooner of later there will be a correction. It is good that it is above 27,000, but we will see if it lasts till the end of his term in office. Anyway, look at the actual growth rates, under Trump and Obama. Remember that the first few years of Obama were that of a very deep recession, that right wing pundits predicted would eventually end up in a Depression for the first time since the Deep Depression:

    https://www.macrotrends.net/2481/sto...e-by-president


    On ignore: Disrespectful Individuals!!

  17. #17
    I am perfectly fine with people crediting Trump with the rise in the stock market. As long as the same people will blame Trump if and when the market falls.
    The statements, views and opinions expressed in this column are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent anybody else.

  18. #18
    Never Been Justly Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Hooterville
    Posts
    39,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Anbarandy View Post
    Flush with almost 2 years of Trump tax cuts, corporations have been buying back their own stock and inflating their stock prices at a 25 - 33% rate of volume for all stock market activities.

    The budget deficit with just 3 months left in the fiscal year is projected to rise to over $1trillion dollars, most of it due to, yes once again, Trump's tax cuts for corporations and the super wealthy.

    Nothing like Trump's 'Reverse Robin Hood' magical economy.
    Revenue is up 2.5% Y/Y


    At the bottom of all the tributes paid to democracy, is the little man, walking into the little booth, with a little pencil, making a little cross on a little bit of paper - no amount of rhetoric or voluminous discussion can possibly diminish the overwhelming importance of the point.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    13,954
    Blog Entries
    1
    The budget deficit hits a record 23.1% over the last year.

    US budget deficit jumps 23.1% over last year as debt crisis looms:

    https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/11/polit...ens/index.html

    Yet Trump keeps on blatantly lying about the decrease in the deficits. But his cult followers keep on believing his nonsense!!

    Can you imagine if a Trudeau Government built such an equivalent deficit, how ballistic the Right wingers would be about it. Yet they keep on condemning him for increasing the deficit, although it was required to trigger off the economy after some very stagnant times under the previous Conservative Government.


    On ignore: Disrespectful Individuals!!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by onthebottom View Post
    Revenue is up 2.5% Y/Y
    Tariffs, which are costing families about $800 year.
    More taxes on the middle class.
    Donít be a tough guy. Donít be a fool! I will call you later

  21. #21
    Never Been Justly Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Hooterville
    Posts
    39,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankfooter View Post
    Tariffs, which are costing families about $800 year.
    More taxes on the middle class.
    That’s idiotic, do you have any sense on how much money 2.5% of US revenue represents.


    At the bottom of all the tributes paid to democracy, is the little man, walking into the little booth, with a little pencil, making a little cross on a little bit of paper - no amount of rhetoric or voluminous discussion can possibly diminish the overwhelming importance of the point.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by onthebottom View Post
    Revenue is up 2.5% Y/Y
    2% of that 2.5% of revenue increase which is $52billion for the first nine months of the fiscal budget year is customs duties initially paid by American corporations and entities and passed onto American consumers through higher prices. Basically a Trump 'Tariff tax' on the American middle and lower income class.

    Yeah so almost all of that increase of revenue is not due any increase in corporate 'income' taxes paid.

    Over a $1trillion dollar budget deficit brought to you by The King of Bankruptcy.
    I'm a bitter house**** baby....so why don't you **** me.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Anbarandy View Post
    2% of that 2.5% of revenue increase which is $52billion for the first nine months of the fiscal budget year is customs duties initially paid by American corporations and entities and passed onto American consumers through higher prices. Basically a Trump 'Tariff tax' on the American middle and lower income class.

    Yeah so almost all of that increase of revenue is not due any increase in corporate 'income' taxes paid.

    Over a $1trillion dollar budget deficit brought to you by The King of Bankruptcy.
    The top 1% globally have actually lost 6% of their wealth because of Trump's trade wars.
    The world's super wealthy just collectively lost $US2 trillion – and Trump's trade war is to blame
    https://www.businessinsider.com.au/s...decline-2019-7
    Donít be a tough guy. Donít be a fool! I will call you later

  24. #24
    No
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    way out there
    Posts
    8,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankfooter View Post
    The top 1% globally have actually lost 6% of their wealth because of Trump's trade wars.

    https://www.businessinsider.com.au/s...decline-2019-7
    Wait. You guys keep spouting off that Trump's policies are benefiting the top 1%. Now you are debunking yourself? Hilarious!!!
    swollen member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •