Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Maple Leafs 2018 - 19

For those that detest the bomber pass I see why the Leafs use it. It's their way to counter the trap. Less risk. Turnovers don't result in odd man rushes back the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by superstar_88 View Post
    For those that detest the bomber pass I see why the Leafs use it. It's their way to counter the trap. Less risk. Turnovers don't result in odd man rushes back the other way.
    Won't be long before the NHL bans the pass.
    White dude fucks black babe.

Quote Originally Posted by glamphotographer View Post
    For those who want the Leafs to have that stay at home defenseman, they don't exist anymore in today's NHL, much like the goon or enforcer. The NHL is now speed and skill. I'm enjoying the new era of hockey. The Kings and Ducks are built on size to forcheck teams to the ground but can't keep up with a speedy team like the Leafs. The Leafs burned all 3 california teams off the transition game.
    You're not wrong about speed and skill and the Leafs have a lot of them, but when speed and skill are about equal between teams, size and grit will matter, especially in the playoffs where the calibre of opposition will be a lot tougher than what the Ducks and Kings can offer. I don't think anyone here has asked for "stay at home" d man, except maybe more toughness and grit which they're still lacking. Regardless how well they do in the regular season, and even if they win the President's trophy, their season will be judged by how well they do in the playoffs.

It's encouraging though to see that the Leafs have been playing much better defence. I think they're one of the top 5 teams with fewest goals allowed per game. Andersen has been excellent since about mid October and Reilly and Gardiner have been very good defensively. Perhaps without JVR and Bozak is another reason for the improved defence.

Polak was a stay at home defenseman. Babcock liked using him. If they ban the bomber pass they would also need to ban the trap. However way the rules go coaches will find a way to counter everything. Ever see the Leafs get trapped now? They don't. They are called puck moving defenseman for a reason. If you watch Hainsey though he often just pounds the puck on the glass and out. That's old school and safe.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314