Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maple Leafs 2018 - 19

After ocevhkin pasted zaitsev into the boards in the playoffs he was never the same player again. Size mean and tough matters. You need some element of it on your team

Quote Originally Posted by saxon View Post
    Yes and no. Look at Tom Wilson with the Caps, he was an instrumental part of their playoff success last year. Playoff hockey is tighter checking and more aggressive than the regular season so teams that have no toughness is going to find it harder come playoff time. Add in the fact that ice conditions deteriorate drastically once May rolls around puts speed teams at a bit of a disadvantage, not to mention the puck bouncing all over the place which affects the top playmakers. You still need toughness to get through 4 rounds of playoffs and the Leafs donít have that, neither does Tampa Bay.
    I do not equate "toughness" with fighting. There are big, tough, mean, strong players that do not have to resort to fighting to justify a seat on the bench. They play a solid game and that aggressive style of play and taking the body will win games. But if I am the owner and I am cutting their pay cheque? I ain't paying them to fight.

I also do not think ice conditions in May are so bad that it will eliminate the speed and finesse of the game.

When the NHL started to participate in the Olympics the fans got a taste of what true professional hockey was. Fast, smart, excellent play-makers, tough, aggressive, hard hitting...There were numerous articles and conversations about how amazing that type of hockey was. Eventually the pro leagues figured it out that that was where the future of the game was and it took 15 years or so to get there.
    Yes, that is me with my new whistle

Quote Originally Posted by superstar_88 View Post
    After ocevhkin pasted zaitsev into the boards in the playoffs he was never the same player again. Size mean and tough matters. You need some element of it on your team
    If I remember correctly, Zaitsev's injury problems began when he was pasted into the boards by Nick Foligno in a game in Dec 2017 against Blue Jackets. He suffered what appeared to be a concussion and was not the same since. He was doing quite alright before that.

then that may be the 2nd concussion after the Ovechkin pasting cause he looked woozy and out of it on that one also.

So the cheapest ticket to a Leafs home game is $115 for standing room for a weekday game against a non marguee team like NJ Devils. Golds are about $450 fro a Saturday night game. Leafs sign Taveres to rises prices and sell tickets.

watch it on tv. it's cheaper. They signed Tavaras to help them win. they sell out. if you can't afford it don't go. nothing to complain about here. market dictates.

From the past, I liked Dan Kelly announcing the games, including the ‘87 Canada Cup. Today I like Gord Miller...just prefer not to look at him.
    Donít you hate it when someone answers their own questions? I do.

For me there is only one, how long can he keep it up? No one has a bigger timbre than Joe Bowen.

Of course, timbre isn't all about power, Jerry Howarth had a very smooth timbre (I miss him).

watch it on tv. it's cheaper. They signed Tavaras to help them win. they sell out. if you can't afford it don't go. nothing to complain about here. market dictates.
    I'll probably go to a game. Spend my X-mas bonus.

It's the job of Leaf fans to maintain the high revenue-sharing with hockey hotbeds like Phoenix and Florida where the tickets are a whopping $15, but luckily that $15 includes a free hot dog, T-shirt and parking.
    The market does dictate, and the owners in those centres expect to lose a ton of money. The revenue transfer payments keep everyone competitive and Bettman happy, so $450 for a ticket in Toronto is win-win.

As an aside, if Tavares was signed to help them win I hope he doesn't mind playing defence.

Best defence is have control of the puck. If you don't then you're playing defense so yes Tavaras will help control the puck. He makes other teams play defense against him.

Interview with Auston and JT with Elliot Freedman on Tim and Sid, the season is just around the corner.

William Nylander has yet to prove he's worth $8 million, Leafs can't repeat the Oilers mistake. He should realize that he's more expendable than he thinks, Matthews will adjust. Mason Marchment looked great in the AHL playoffs, he should make the team.

The Cubs, broke their curse and won the WS - anything is now possible.

Why is Marc Bergevin still the GM of the Canadiens? Among the many mistakes he made was not having patience to develop another Scarborough native Devante Smith Pelly, he played a major role in the Caps Stanley Cup victory. A game between Toronto and Montreal has no meaning if the Habs suck.

Montreal and Ottawa will be so bad this coming season that Boston and Toronto could mail it in and still make the playoffs.

Price alone can get them into the playoffs. When he's on he's that good.

He wasn't very good last year and he has not much of a defense in front of him. They will suck big time I'm afraid. Sad to see.

This is not a baseball thread.

Quote Originally Posted by saxon View Post
    Montreal and Ottawa will be so bad this coming season that Boston and Toronto could mail it in and still make the playoffs.
    Yes but Babcock doesn't mail anything in. He goes full throttle.

Was looking at the Leafs roster and they are stacked at center as we all know but wings they will have a lot of spots open to fight for .. Maybe Josh Leivo will get a legimitate shot .

Really? You think lots of spots on wing? Nylander, Marner, Brown, and Kapanen are pretty much locks on RW so that leaves zero spots there. LW you have Marleau, Hyman, Johnnson I would say are also locks so really only 1 wing spot open. That is the only spot Leivo can fight for. Only 1 spot so not lots of spots.

At center they are only considered stacked because of the top 3. The 4th line center is unproven and unknown. Last year no one could get it done. They had to give up a 2nd round draft pick to get someone to go into the playoffs with again! Seems every year they give up a 2nd for a 4th line center. Leafs should play their top 3 centers minimum 18 minutes each per game and keep the 4th line center at 5 minutes.

How is his offense?

Quote Originally Posted by Ref View Post
    How is his offense?
    He's a goalie. He's paid to stop pucks not score goals.

He's a goalie. He's paid to stop pucks not score goals.
    My post was in jest as the Habs have a poor offense this year.

I know. Price has carried a bad Montreal team into the playoffs before. Belfour for the Leafs did the same thing. He made the Leafs look better than they actually were.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast