Page 41 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: Maple Leafs 2018 - 19

Leafs complete the comeback tonight and beat the Flyers 7-6. Is there a goalie happy about a 7-6 win? Ask Freddy.

They almost completed a comeback vs Chicago as well after being down 5 nothing. Versus Tampa they just gave up cause no way they are overcoming that mountain. Versus Flyers they were only down 5 2 and Flyers played night before and didn't have the energy.
    Chicago had their backup sub in due to injury to starter. His move to knock the net off may have saved the game.

Quote Originally Posted by superstar_88 View Post
    His move to knock the net off may have saved the game.
    Matthews had another goal disallowed last night. One of these days, Mathews will be on a breakaway and the goalie will "accidentally" knock the net off its moorings. The NHL needs to take another look at this rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Darts View Post
    Matthews had another goal disallowed last night. One of these days, Mathews will be on a breakaway and the goalie will "accidentally" knock the net off its moorings. The NHL needs to take another look at this rule.
    The goalie shouldn't be able to knock the net off it's moorings by moving to cover the post. They're not going to be able to fix the rule, they need to stiffen the mechanism again because what they use is excessively flimsy.

Auston Matthews had what has become a typical Auston Matthews game - scored two points and finished the game at -2.

Why do I still hate the Flyboys, it seems unreasonable. Adolf Hitler was a Flyboys fan and I turned him into Eric the Midget. The days of the Broad Street Cunts are long gone. The Canadiens exposed them for what I thought they were.

Auston is losing too many face offs, he'd improved in that part of his game, now it seems he's fallen back on old habits. Freddy is burned out, he needs rest. He undertook Navy Seals training in the summer, that probably wasn't a good idea. He's been a gorilla all season, now he looks like a Rhesus monkey. He's still our MVP but Sparks should start at least six of the remaining eleven games.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious Von View Post
    Why do I still hate the Flyboys, it seems unreasonable. Adolf Hitler was a Flyboys fan and I turned him into Eric the Midget. The days of the Broad Street Cunts are long gone. The Canadiens exposed them for what I thought they were.

Auston is losing too many face offs, he'd improved in that part of his game, now it seems he's fallen back on old habits. Freddy is burned out, he needs rest. He undertook Navy Seals training in the summer, that probably wasn't a good idea. He's been a gorilla all season, now he looks like a Rhesus monkey. He's still our MVP but Sparks should start at least six of the remaining eleven games.

No way. Sparks is so hit or miss.

I think he is reasonable for about two losses that McElhenny would have won. That would mean we would be tied or up against Boston.

A quality back up makes a difference and I would not feel comfortable giving Anderson more rest right now. Maybe if Boston has their placed locked.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
    I would not feel comfortable giving Anderson more rest right now. Maybe if Boston has their placed locked.
    I would totally give Anderson some rest right now.

The Leafs have the luxury of playing in the Atlantic Division, where let's be honest - they could lose ALL of their remaining 11 games and still be sitting in 3rd. No one is chasing them.
    If they played one spot over in Central Division they'd be in deep doo-doo because their record is terrible against those teams, but they don't.

Anderson will do better in the first round if he's rested and totally healthy.
    Home ice may or may not be an advantage for these Leafs; that's been a question mark all season.

Sparks is the official loser of the Chicago game cause he gave up the 5th goal which turned out to be the winning goal when he came in down 4 nothing. The only goal he let in.
    Andersen gave up 4 goals Leafs never had the lead in the game yet Andersen is off the hook for the loss in the record books.

Is there any truth to Calle Rosen starting tonight for the Leafs, Marincin and Ozughanov are awful and should never be in the blue line mix again.

This for those who think Gardner sucks.

They won't win with Holl. Now you know why Babs doesn't play him.

Skates into neutral zone then turnover odd man rush back, goal.

Skating from the corner looks up with checker approaching him so backs the puck behind the net to Marincin who gives a soft pass up to Tavaras leaving him no time to make a play. He turns the puck over, Holl is up ice pressuring, odd man rush back and goal.

5th goal for some odd reason he decides not to stop and turn back behind the net but skates right into the only lone forchecker, turnover and eventually goal.

These are just what I remember.

Well the Leafs stunk tonight against Ottawa. Clearly they emptied the tank against the Flyers the night before. On to Nashville.

Quote Originally Posted by glamphotographer View Post
    On to Nashville.
    Out of the frying pan....

They had best find a way to cut down on the GA and fast. The past few games have looked more like football scores.

Kathleen being a Badkat at HFH

Available at Hands from Heaven Spa in Brampton. Please Visit HFH website for schedule and which location I'll be at each week.
    Available also Independent SP (Mississauga Based Now) - Please visit my site Badkat.net for info and email.

Leafs don't make plays. Leafs consider themselves a skilled team like TB but watch how TB plays. They always find someone to pass to. They always make a play. Aside from Rielly, Gardner none of the defensemen can make plays. Dermott can get there with experience.

Hainsey is a shoot the puck up the glass type of guy. Muzzin is a pass the puck to defense partner to make a play type of guy. Don't know what happened to Zaitsev after his rookie season. Oz, Holl, Marincin? Forget them they can't make plays. Rosen can do it in the minors but big leagues is a different animal.

Leafs can play defense. Their tremendous record when leading after 2 periods says so. It's the turnovers and terrible goaltending that is the weak defense right now. They are missing Gardner and Dermott big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious Von View Post
    Marincin and Ozughanov are awful and should never be in the blue line mix again.
    A lot will depend on whether Dubas wants to keep piling up monster contracts, subtitled: "What to do with Marner."
    Marincin and Ozughanov might be regulars next year just because they won't be able to afford anyone else who could be supporting cast to their top five contracts.

Remember Kyle Dubas last fall heading into the season: “I am probably more bullish on our defense than others… I’ve got a lot of faith in our defense”
    That's general manager language for "I couldn't get a trade, so we're sticking with our draft and develop program" and these guys are next in line.

Leafs don't make plays. Leafs consider themselves a skilled team like TB but watch how TB plays. They always find someone to pass to. They always make a play. Aside from Rielly, Gardner none of the defensemen can make plays. Dermott can get there with experience.

Hainsey is a shoot the puck up the glass type of guy. Muzzin is a pass the puck to defense partner to make a play type of guy. Don't know what happened to Zaitsev after his rookie season. Oz, Holl, Marincin? Forget them they can't make plays. Rosen can do it in the minors but big leagues is a different animal.

Leafs can play defense. Their tremendous record when leading after 2 periods says so. It's the turnovers and terrible goaltending that is the weak defense right now. They are missing Gardner and Dermott big time.
    I am not sure about Gardner but I am a huge fan of Dermott. It's another heartbroken game to watch last night. The Leafs players mismatched each other cost way too many turned overs. The biggest problem of the latest game is the Leafs couldn't get their hot hands on the game fast enough to dominate the first 5-10minutes of the game. This has to stop immediately! I hardly say anything negative but I would yeld loudly now if I may: Wake up, boys!!! Get up and warm up 30 minutes earlier every day to be able to play in time from the clock starting with 0 not just the third period cause you are not their yet. That's the only way I would hope for as a fan. None of others really matters in the end of the day. It's the efforts matters most for the fans. As for the defenses, fight for the puck nothing else. Nothing is easy.

Any way, Happy SPD, everyone!

Go Leafs Go! I still believe in you, will you? Then, please show...
    Last edited by catherinetog; 03-21-2019 at 06:44 AM.

If you notice the last few games Leafs no longer do the stretch pass. Not because they don't want to but because they don't have the personnel. It helps their transition to offense and mitigates turnovers with odd man rush coming back. Dermott can do it. Gardner also. Certainly Gardner has some flaws in his game but he's far superior to Oz, Marincin, and Holl.

There was a reason why they went out and got Muzzin. Even at that time they were full strength on defense with no injuries.

Agree with Chucker. Look at TB big contracts. All under 10 million. Look at Kucherov's contract. Stamkos.

This is Leafs first stretch with injuries and you can't really say it's to their top players. Teams like TB and Boston kept winning with injuries. To top players too.

Where is Nylander? Shouldn't he be in game shape by now?

Nylander has 22 points in 44 games so the problem isn't him, it's the contract he was handed.

Tavares has 40 goals specifically because he's playing with Mitch Marner, so good season had by both.

Marner is the top Leaf at 12th in the league in scoring, with 85 points and +24.

Our $11,634,000.00 franchise player has finally cracked the top 50 in scoring which he didn't last year. -6 on the season. He's missed games each season with injuries so his totals are lower.

So the question: what is Marner's net worth, and can he be signed without crippling the team for 5 years?

If you notice the last few games Leafs no longer do the stretch pass. Not because they don't want to but because they don't have the personnel. It helps their transition to offense and mitigates turnovers with odd man rush coming back. Dermott can do it. Gardner also. Certainly Gardner has some flaws in his game but he's far superior to Oz, Marincin, and Holl.

There was a reason why they went out and got Muzzin. Even at that time they were full strength on defense with no injuries.

Agree with Chucker. Look at TB big contracts. All under 10 million. Look at Kucherov's contract. Stamkos.

This is Leafs first stretch with injuries and you can't really say it's to their top players. Teams like TB and Boston kept winning with injuries. To top players too.
    Good points. It’s not about heavy play. It’s about schemes and consistent plays. They rely on skill to overcome everything and it doesn’t when hard work beats out skill.

If you combine both you get a Tampa Bay.

He has been so much better lately. Gotta watch him on Matthews line with Johnsson.

Agree with chucker. Don't know why anyone is still complaining about Nylander. He is the best player Leafs have for zone entry. Better than Matthews and Tavaras. On par with Marner. Who do you think gets the drop pass on the PP. It is Marner or Nylander

Should be complaining about Kadri before Nylander. What has he done? He is suppose to be a 2nd line caliber player on any team.

Agree with Chucker on Matthews as well. He ain't no Bergeron.

Agree with chucker. Don't know why anyone is still complaining about Nylander. He is the best player Leafs have for zone entry. Better than Matthews and Tavaras. On par with Marner. Who do you think gets the drop pass on the PP. It is Marner or Nylander

Should be complaining about Kadri before Nylander. What has he done? He is suppose to be a 2nd line caliber player on any team.

Agree with Chucker on Matthews as well. He ain't no Bergeron.
    Once they signed Tavares, Kadri’s role changed significantly. Tavares got JVR’s spot on the power play and thus, the goals. The third line has been an afterthought.

I don’t blame Kadri at all. A consistent thirty goal man but he got shifted down the pecking line.

The points don't show it but he's been playing better of late.

Half Man Half Amazing
    This for those who think Gardner sucks.

Skates into neutral zone then turnover odd man rush back, goal.

Skating from the corner looks up with checker approaching him so backs the puck behind the net to Marincin who gives a soft pass up to Tavaras leaving him no time to make a play. He turns the puck over, Holl is up ice pressuring, odd man rush back and goal.

5th goal for some odd reason he decides not to stop and turn back behind the net but skates right into the only lone forchecker, turnover and eventually goal.

These are just what I remember.
    I sure like Holl better than Marincin. That dude is a disaster on the ice. Holl has played maybe 5 games this season - his development has been stunted thanks to Babcock.

I shine and rise at the same time.

There was a time when Leaf fans would be calling for management to bring up young players from the minors to solve the problems, two young defensemen Ramus Sandin and Timothy Liljegren would been called up in this mess. But the Shanaplan has us brain washed not to even consider bringing up two young defensemen. And Liljgren is a right handed shot defenseman.