Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Maple Leafs 2018 - 19

You have got to be kidding. Lievo is what he is. He ain't going to become a superstar in this lifetime. Hyman is doing great on that line and you want to take him off to try to give Lievo an opportunity? To do what? Did you not see the last game? Hyman passes to Marner for 1st goal. Hyman hustles and beats out icing retrieves puck creates havoc with net front presence and Tavaras scores. I have new found appreciation for Hyman.

If Lievo can't do it with Kadri it doesn't look good for him. That was his opportunity. He zapped the life out of Kadri. That 4th line of Lievo Ennis and Gauthier looked good though. No scoring there but great time wasting in offensive zone. 2 big guys with Ennis.

Zack Hyman is becoming our Mario Tremblay (player not coach), he was our best player against the Bruins in the playoffs.

I hope Tavares bought him dinner. Something kosher and delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckertmg View Post
    It's delightful that the Leafs have finally posted their first win of the season in regulation time.... but they've also given up 15 goals in their last 3 games - and they haven't yet played a team who are predicted to make the playoffs.
    So they play Detroit tomorrow (praise the Lord they're in the Atlantic Division) but it'll be a lot more interesting to see how they do against Washington on Saturday.
    Good teams sometimes struggle to beat the ones they should bury. Remember when the Leafs sucked several years ago? They would sometimes surprise and beat teams they had no chance of defeating.

But relax, 78 games to go...

Nylander is getting antsy, Kadri could use him on his line.

Sportsnet asks, who would your rather have on your team: McDavid or Matthzilla? For pure physical talent McDavid is on top, he must be thinking to himself, "damn did I ever lose the lottery". However I have never seen a player, in a Leafs jersey, with the on ice perception of Matthzilla. And it's long overdue that a Leafs defenseman challenges the legacy of Borje Salming. Good on Leafs management for being patient with Morgan Rielly.

"Good on Leafs management for being patient with Morgan Rielly."
    It's early but I hate to bring out the negatives with...Gardiner. Don't think he's learned or get any better from last year playoff debacle. I am hoping Leafs other D men will pick up their games so that Gardiner will see less times on the ice. He's giving me a heart attack anytime he gives up scoring chances to the oppositions. Gardiner looked real lazy out there!

I’m pretty sure Gardiner will be gone after this season.

Leafs vs Caps on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisearl11 View Post
    "Good on Leafs management for being patient with Morgan Rielly."
    It's early but I hate to bring out the negatives with...Gardiner. Don't think he's learned or get any better from last year playoff debacle. I am hoping Leafs other D men will pick up their games so that Gardiner will see less times on the ice. He's giving me a heart attack anytime he gives up scoring chances to the oppositions. Gardiner looked real lazy out there!
    Right now Reilly is a bargain at $5 million a year, but when he hits UFA in 3 years or so they may not be able to afford him. The way he’s progressing he’ll be a $9 or $10 million a year defenseman.

Accolades for being patient with Reilly? What was the other option? Trade him in his rookie season for a sack of potatoes? He's getting tons of points passing left to Matthews and right to Marner on the PP. He has not suddenly transformed into Bobby Orr. He's probably the same player he was last year and no one was talking about him being a superstar.

Quote Originally Posted by saxon View Post
    Might be dealt before then to free up cap space. Maybe even sent on waivers, if he doesn't improve. Think of the cap space opened up.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious Von View Post
    Leafs vs Caps on Saturday.

This will be a tough one for the Leafs. After the Caps got blown out by NJ. they'll be looking to rebound in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by saxon View Post
    He's an UFA next July I believe. I think that could be why Leafs brought in that new Russian kid (can't remember his name!) hoping that he can be a lightning in a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by glamphotographer View Post
    Might be dealt before then to free up cap space. Maybe even sent on waivers, if he doesn't improve. Think of the cap space opened up.
    The Maple Leafs have just under $13Mm ($12,984,572) in cap space.
    No one needs to be traded or waived to create cap space.
    Even if W.N. signed a deal at A.A.V. of $8Mm, there'd still be tons of space available.

Quote Originally Posted by gcostanza View Post
    The Maple Leafs have just under $13Mm ($12,984,572) in cap space.
    No one needs to be traded or waived to create cap space.
    Even if W.N. signed a deal at A.A.V. of $8Mm, there'd still be tons of space available.
    They're absolutely ok with the cap this year, they can actually afford to get a high priced pending ufa as rental before the trade deadline if deemed necessary to compete for the Cup.

For next season though 13 millions may not be enough just to sign Matthews IF he continues to pile up points and goals on a record breaking pace. Then there's Marner and Nylander for approximately another 15 millions, and whatever it'll take to sign a replacement for Gardiner. That's roughly 30+ millions for 4 players not named Tavares.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisearl11 View Post
    He's an UFA next July I believe. I think that could be why Leafs brought in that new Russian kid (can't remember his name!) hoping that he can be a lightning in a bottle.
    Oziganov hasn't shown it so far. His family arrived in town last week, hopefully that grounds him and he can play better. Zaitsev has regressed.

Lebanese wedding.

Now I know the Leafs are Stanley Cup contenders, I'd be worried if Hyman was not invited.

A lot of good performances tonight. The D only gave up 2 goals. A great shift for the Matthews' line before the insurance goal was scored. Easily the best game this season for Gardiner and Andersen. The team looks good when the good Jake shows up. Secondary scoring from Leivo and Lindhom. A couple of points for Kappy.

Quote Originally Posted by smuddan View Post
    A lot of good performances tonight. The D only gave up 2 goals. A great shift for the Matthews' line before the insurance goal was scored.
    Good result, but I think saying the D only gave up two goals is misleading.
    T.J. Oshie might have set a single game record for the number of open net misses by one player in one game.
    Anderson looked like he did last year - saving Maple Leaf butts.
    The shift before the insurance goal was scored could only be termed a fucking disaster unless you're a Caps fan. Washington had the Leafs penned in their own end for what seemed an eternity and got about 8 quality scoring chances on that one shift alone.

Leafs were jittery first few minutes to be down by a goal. Then they settled down. They looked good. Looked composed. On defense no panic. Minimize giveaways. Oz looked good. He's gotta be the regular 6th D now. Anderson was on when the Leafs needed it bad protecting a 1 goal lead. The game looked very even. Could have gone either way.

Jonnson looks small out there. Will probably need a bigger body in there come playoff time. Gautier looks to have solidified the 4th line center job. He's playing his game. No skill just board work. Leafs need his big body. Lievo also is good big body match with him.

Kapanen looks good. Lindholm also. Kapanen Lindholm Kadri could make a good 3rd line once Nylander comes back. Brown to the 4th line. No need to give up a 2nd round pick on trade deadline this year for a 4th line C. But will probably rent a Dman.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckertmg View Post
    Good result, but I think saying the D only gave up two goals is misleading.
    T.J. Oshie might have set a single game record for the number of open net misses by one player in one game.
    Anderson looked like he did last year - saving Maple Leaf butts.
    The shift before the insurance goal was scored could only be termed a fucking disaster unless you're a Caps fan. Washington had the Leafs penned in their own end for what seemed an eternity and got about 8 quality scoring chances on that one shift alone.
    How could it (that the D only gave up 2 goals) be misleading when the final score was Leafs 4- Caps 2 ?

If I remember correctly, the Matthews' line had the puck in the Caps' zone for a while before he goal. The Caps had a lot of pressure and Oshie did miss an open net, but I believe that was before the Matthews line came on. Leafs had a lot of good chances Kapanan missed an open net as well.

Matthews is in a goal scoring slump, he only got 1 tonight.

There are a lot to like about tonight's game. The Caps are the defending Champs and it would be ridiculous to expect the Leafs to win in a dominating fashion. The Caps just got blown out of the rink by the Devils and they were pretty hungry for a redeeming home win against the much hyped Leaf team. Yes the Leafs needed some great goaltending, timely scoring and some good fortunes, but they went toe to toe with the Champ and won by a close count.

Having said all that, I don't think this one game proves anything. I didn't see the same kind of physicality and intensity from the Caps like they had in last season's playoffs, especially in the series against the Lightning. I don't think the Leafs will have problem piling up points in the regular season, but it remains to be proven if this version of the Leafs can handle the pressure and
    physicality of playoff hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by smuddan View Post
    Yes the Leafs needed some great goaltending, timely scoring and some good fortunes, but they went toe to toe with the Champ and won by a close count.
    I don't think the Leafs will have problem piling up points in the regular season, but it remains to be proven if this version of the Leafs can handle the pressure and
    physicality of playoff hockey.
    In last season's NHL Classic at Annapolis, the Caps manhandled the Leafs from the second period onward. I saw something positive when Tavares got high-sticked. Hyman came to his defense at let it be known that dirty play would not be tolerated. He's won the only two fights he's been in and the Caps player wasn't going to challenge him.

If Nylander does sign, put him with Kadri. You don't fuck with a player's head who's in good form, Kapanen may not take it well.

Let's not assume the Caps player was afraid to fight Hyman. It wasn't a dirty play. Accidental high stick. It wasn't worthy of a fight. Now if Tom Wilson took an intentional high hit on Tavaras and Hyman comes in to challenge a fight then you could hoist Hyman on your shoulders like a champion.

Leafs may not need to be menacing but at least they need to be big. Babs knows this. Hence why Gauthier is in and he doesn't even kill penalties. Probably Lievo also. Leafs are not small aside from Ennis and Jonnson and probably only 1 or none will be playing in the playoffs. Marner is small but he's got exceptional skill. They may need to find a counter for the likes of Wilson though. Perhaps their PP is the counter.

Ideally Marner would be the only small guy on team. They have plenty enough skill if Nylander plays.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast