Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Input on PC Upgrade Pls - Gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Ok, so thank you all for the input, and advice. Been almost a decade since I last upgraded.

This is what I put together at the store this afternoon, and paid for. Should be ready by the weekend.
    They guy built my last 3 PCs and said it would be no issue cloning my current Win10 and everything with it to the new SSD on the new machine. Just needed to keep the sizes the same.

Case - Cooler Master Storm Stryker
    Motherboard - Asus - Sabertooth Z170 MARK 1 - i7 7700k
    Memory - 32 GB
    Hard drive - Samsung 1 TB SSD / 2x 2TB HDD
    Video Card - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
    Power - 1000w Antec

The store called an hour ago, said the exact motherboard wasn't in stock, so would stick with Asus and near identical specs.

Thoughts pls.
    Thats actually a really nice build but it's overkill for gaming in some ways. for gaming you will see EXTREMELY small difference between an i5 and an i7. there are also no games that require even 16 gigs of memory. if you plan on doing say a lot of 4k video editing then it's a very good build. but just for gaming you can do better. go for an i5 drop to 16 gigs of ram and that should allow you to go with the gtx 1080 instead of the 1070. that will make a dramatic difference for gaming. also you could reduce the size of the SSD to 500 gig to save more and a 1000w powersupply is overkill for the current configuration a good 650 or 750w would still give you the option to add a second graphics card later

otherwise Happy Gaming

Quote Originally Posted by b4u View Post
    Thats actually a really nice build but it's overkill for gaming in some ways. for gaming you will see EXTREMELY small difference between an i5 and an i7. there are also no games that require even 16 gigs of memory. if you plan on doing say a lot of 4k video editing then it's a very good build. but just for gaming you can do better. go for an i5 drop to 16 gigs of ram and that should allow you to go with the gtx 1080 instead of the 1070. that will make a dramatic difference for gaming. also you could reduce the size of the SSD to 500 gig to save more and a 1000w powersupply is overkill for the current configuration a good 650 or 750w would still give you the option to add a second graphics card later

otherwise Happy Gaming
    Hi B4U.

Thanks for putting your thoughts in. The store said it will touch base before building, to let me know what Motherboard is closest to what I was originally getting.

I was hoping to have something, that had me really set for then next few yrs. As 4k become more common, and games become demanding. Perhaps I wont rule out that GTX 1080.
    The SSD I was told needed to be the same size as my current to clone over my old PC to new. The store had also let a message suggesting they would downgrade my power supply, so its funny you caught that too.

Kathleen being a Badkat at HFH

Available at Hands from Heaven Spa in Brampton. Please Visit HFH website for schedule and which location I'll be at each week.
    Available also Independent SP (Mississauga Based Now) - Please visit my site Badkat.net for info and email.

New Photo Video from Backpage

Hi B4U.

Thanks for putting your thoughts in. The store said it will touch base before building, to let me know what Motherboard is closest to what I was originally getting.

I was hoping to have something, that had me really set for then next few yrs. As 4k become more common, and games become demanding. Perhaps I wont rule out that GTX 1080.
    The SSD I was told needed to be the same size as my current to clone over my old PC to new. The store had also let a message suggesting they would downgrade my power supply, so its funny you caught that too.
    Actually, unless your current drive C: (where the Windows OS lives) has more than 500 gB of data on it, you do not need to match the size to clone the drive to a new SSD, although it is the easiest option. I realize that you don't want to have to spend a lot of time on this, but it might be worth investigating the various relatively low cost utilities that let you transfer your user settings from your current machine to the new one. If the cost is significantly less than the difference between a 500 gB and a 1 tB SSD, it could be a reasonable option for you, but as always you have to factor in the added cost in time and effort. I'd also suggest that you keep the old hard drives for awhile, just in case. You can always temporarily connect them to your new machine and copy over anything that might have been missed.

As far as memory and CPU are concerned, if you are planning on the new machine giving 4 to 5 years of service, I'd certainly recommend at least 16 gB of RAM and a high end i7 even if the games you play now won't be stressing the hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by LurkingInMyTent View Post
    Actually, unless your current drive C: (where the Windows OS lives) has more than 500 gB of data on it, you do not need to match the size to clone the drive to a new SSD, although it is the easiest option. I realize that you don't want to have to spend a lot of time on this, but it might be worth investigating the various relatively low cost utilities that let you transfer your user settings from your current machine to the new one. If the cost is significantly less than the difference between a 500 gB and a 1 tB SSD, it could be a reasonable option for you, but as always you have to factor in the added cost in time and effort. I'd also suggest that you keep the old hard drives for awhile, just in case. You can always temporarily connect them to your new machine and copy over anything that might have been missed.

As far as memory and CPU are concerned, if you are planning on the new machine giving 4 to 5 years of service, I'd certainly recommend at least 16 gB of RAM and a high end i7 even if the games you play now won't be stressing the hardware.
    Hello.

I have just under 300 MB used on my main drive of 1TB. It would save costs, but fine with the 1TB SSD just in case I add more in the future.
    Typically, it will just be an OS and game on it through.

I'm keeping my old tower, and all three HDD fully enact. I have a 6TB external, that I have already backed all three drives to. Once I have the new one, with three new drives, I'll just transfer over my movies, MP3s and Photos over.

I'm sticking with the mentioned i7 and 32 GB ram. Motherboard will be Asus, and the video card I updated today from the GTX 1070 to the 1080.

I'm now just waiting to pick up

Available at Hands from Heaven Spa in Brampton. Please Visit HFH website for schedule and which location I'll be at each week.
    Available also Independent SP (Mississauga Based Now) - Please visit my site Badkat.net for info and email.

That is a beast of a computer, you better call in sick for the few days after your get your PC as you will need time to recover from the whiplash.

Protuberant Member
    I'm sticking with the mentioned i7 and 32 GB ram. Motherboard will be Asus, and the video card I updated today from the GTX 1070 to the 1080.
    Good choice. Nothing wrong with going for overkill on a PC. As far as RAM goes, ya never have too much RAM. You never know what more demanding stuff is coming down the pike, so you will be prepared.

I was told the same when going for overkill over 8 years ago. However that i7 served and still serves well! The only thing it struggles a bit with is 4K. It plays 4K but gets bogged down with buffering on occasion. As 4K goes more mainstream will def have to get a more powerful PC. Then again who knows what they are working on now even more demanding beyond 4K.

One thing I would recommend getting and knowing is how many USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 ports come with your PC?

SuperSpeed 10Gbs USB 3.1 port....the bleeding edge stuff.
    Ultra-fast data connections to transfer large files rapidly.

USB 3.0 ports maximize the latest high-speed devices
    Many new PCs still include 2 USB 2.0 ports to connect more accessories and peripherals. The USB 3.0 ports are backward-compatible with USB 2.0 devices (at 2.0 speeds).

USB 2.0 are standard now but slow. USB 3.0 and 3.1 thumbdrives are out now and the prices are dropping on both.

The problems we face today will not be solved by the minds that created them

When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by HungSowel View Post
    That is a beast of a computer, you better call in sick for the few days after your get your PC as you will need time to recover from the whiplash.
    lmao, I am actually anxious to try a couple games and even a couple of the video editing programs that seem to run (currently) a bit slow.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodPeckr View Post
    Good choice. Nothing wrong with going for overkill on a PC. As far as RAM goes, ya never have too much RAM. You never know what more demanding stuff is coming down the pike, so you will be prepared.
    IKR. I totally agree on the overkill.
    Somethings I like to cut back and save when possible. But a PC I see the same as something like snow tires. Don't mid range, spend the bucks as you're gonna have it a few yrs.

One thing I would recommend getting and knowing is how many USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 ports come with your PC?
    SuperSpeed 10Gbs USB 3.1 port....the bleeding edge stuff.
    Ultra-fast data connections to transfer large files rapidly.
    Thanks! I had no idea there was USB 3.1

The case I picked out, has 2x USB 2.0 and 2x USB 3.0 in the front.
    I was asked how many I wanted in the back and asked for 8 USB slots. Four 2.0 for my back up battery, keyboard, mouse and such. The rest I asked for 3.0
    But now going to call and ask for two slots to be 3.1 instead.

That would be excellent if the new WD External I bought supported 3.1
    I bought it about 4 months ago, and would be transferring roughly 5-600 TB of music, movies and photos to my new slave drives.

Going to call tomorrow and ask about the 3.1 USB, and ask to drop the power from 1000 watts to something more reasonable. The shop said it wasn't needed, seems like most here have just confirmed it. I just wanted to be safe when I requested it.

Hello all.

Picked up the new PC tonight. The tech cloned everything over, then did some tweaking like removing my old video card drivers/software and installing all the new stuff after the ghost.

Got it home, plugged everything in, and fired it up. Aside from my desktop icons needing to be sorted again, everything is identical. All my mail is just as I left it, my games, photos, documents, everything. Total seamless transition.
    As for the computer itself, insane fast.

I'm moving 800 GB of Movies, MP3s and Photos from external to one of the spare drives and its moving over in a fraction of the time. Getting mail, opening programs, or games, and almost instant.
    I can't believe how much better and faster this beast is.

Only couple small changes to my original specs. The motherboard turned out to be ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO and the new video card had DP 1.42, HDMI 2.0b, DL-DVI and neither of my current monitors had HDMI.
    So bought a new monitor while there which is amazing.

Have to thank all very much for offering tips and thoughts. I love this new computer.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodPeckr View Post
    Very true. When I picked up 16GB of RAM 5 years ago, I was told that was overkill and that 8GB was enough. Glad I didn't listen, as I'm regularly utilizing up to 12GB. Wouldn't be surprised if 32GB is the new standard within the next few years.

Only couple small changes to my original specs. The motherboard turned out to be ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO and the new video card had DP 1.42, HDMI 2.0b, DL-DVI and neither of my current monitors had HDMI.
    So bought a new monitor while there which is amazing.
    Sounds like your were due for a new monitor!

It depends on what you use your computer for, but I prefer to simply use a newer TV as my computer monitor for watching movies or gaming. Unless you're an extreme gamer, the latency won't hurt you. Plus you get a much bigger screen at a fraction of the cost!
    For all else I'm still using a 27" 1080p monitor from five years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rhuarc29 View Post
    I prefer to simply use a newer TV as my computer monitor for watching movies or gaming. Unless you're an extreme gamer, the latency won't hurt you. Plus you get a much bigger screen at a fraction of the cost! For all else I'm still using a 27" 1080p monitor from five years ago.
    That's very clever.

I was due, and though I should have gone with a 4k, just got another 1080. It had the needed HDMI, and was so cheap.
    I'm finding the image to what I had is day and night as the new one is bigger and so clear.

First funky thing I found with my PC was when I shut it down late last night. My motherboard stays lit up with LED that read maximus. Sort of reminds me of the Logitech gaming mouse I have, only it goes out.
    I googled and seems this is normal, but sure make my room look funny with the blue/purple lights at night ..lol

[email protected]
    Blog Entries
    At first launch the new i9 processor will cost $2000.

Protuberant Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhuarc29 View Post
    Very true. When I picked up 16GB of RAM 5 years ago, I was told that was overkill and that 8GB was enough. Glad I didn't listen, as I'm regularly utilizing up to 12GB. Wouldn't be surprised if 32GB is the new standard within the next few years.
    Have a friend who is heavy into video editing and has 32GB. He says that 32GB speeds up his editing nicely. He says he may upgrade that to 64GB.

When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

Protuberant Member
    I was due, and though I should have gone with a 4k, just got another 1080. It had the needed HDMI, and was so cheap.
    I'm finding the image to what I had is day and night as the new one is bigger and so clear.
    1080 is cheap and sufficient, right now.

Will wait for 4K to be more mainstream and for prices to drop before going with a 4K monitor.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

How are you liking your new PC? Does meet your expectations?

How are you liking your new PC? Does meet your expectations?
    Hahaha... Funny you should ask lol

I'm loving it really. Booting up, shutting down takes a fraction of time. Online games load so fast, and the in game playing is so smooth now. Opening and using multiple applications, are instant, and I can't bog it down with serveral pages or things running. So in general, I'm so happy.

However.. late last time, I was on doing emails and for about 10-15min, my tower sounded like a cicada bug was inside. It was a soft buzz, that got little loud, then faded to nothing, came back, and fade.
    This morning, nothing. Did mail, shut it off, and went to class. Came home an hour ago, and started it up. It again did it for about 15min, then stopped.

Can you or anyone else please listen to this audio I uploaded > Kathleen PC noise.

You might need to turn headphones up, but should hear it. I'm not sure if a fan issue, or what. The case has a button for LED and to each side of that is a - / + for fan speed. It seemed to start after I bumped that up to max.
    I put it back to were it was speed way last night, but before I get too worried, or haul it back to the shop wanted to get some ideas. Especially if it wont do it as the store on cue...lol

Thanks!

Can you or anyone else please listen to this audio I uploaded > Kathleen PC noise.

You might need to turn headphones up, but should hear it.

Thanks!
    I just uploaded a MP4 video too.

Hopefully someone can hear the sound ok, and has an idea what it is.

Thanks

sounds like fan noise or maybe vibration from a spinning hard disk. Does not sound serious to me.

sounds like fan noise or maybe vibration from a spinning hard disk. Does not sound serious to me.
    Thanks

Hope your right

Just an update - The sound like a cicada (slowly got loud, then faded) never happened again.

But all last night, and today so far have a very faint 'beep' that comes every 10secs roughly and wont go away. The two previous links (audio / video ) you can hear those beeps every 10secs.
    Here is a clip with just the beeps ( Can hear around the 12sec mark) . Its minor, but wont go away, any ideas?

I installed HW Monitor, and the temp and fans seem more than fine. Everything seems fine otherwise actually.

Thanks

Hail to the king, baby.
    I would go into your BIOS and check alerts from there.
    G.

6) Hard Drive - Seeking opinion on the best 'size' and quality HD for my C drive. I tend to keep very little on it, and typically use two backup drives for all my photos, MP3, movies, and backups....
    You might consider a SSD hard drive for your OS and a second cheaper one for storage. Smaller capacity drives used to be noticeably faster (though I don't know if this is the case now).

If you were the type to upgrade parts, I'd suggest getting one of the newer socket LGA 1151 motherboards so it would be easier to upgrade. The new X299 chipset is coming out so it won't be too long before the Z270s will be dropping in price. But being as you just seem to get a whole new system, it will have less impact.

And don't forget a good power supply. I'd suggest no lower than 1000 W.

As an aside, water cooled is so much quieter. When I built my first water cooled system and turned it on, I thought I had messes up because there was no sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    I would go into your BIOS and check alerts from there.
    Not sure what I'd be doing/looking for in there. Seems to only do the noise at startup, then that soft beep every 10sec there after.
    I talked to the place who did it, they're gonna look at it Monday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
    You might consider a SSD hard drive for your OS and a second cheaper one for storage. Smaller capacity drives used to be noticeably faster (though I don't know if this is the case now).
    That's what I ended up doing. Samsung 1 TB SSD for the OS and my games. 2x 2TB HD for backups.

If you were the type to upgrade parts, I'd suggest getting one of the newer socket LGA 1151 motherboards so it would be easier to upgrade. The new X299 chipset is coming out so it won't be too long before the Z270s will be dropping in price. But being as you just seem to get a whole new system, it will have less impact.
    And don't forget a good power supply. I'd suggest no lower than 1000 W.
    I tend to only look to upgrade, when something fails. Like my video card or memory. If this current issue turns out to be power supply, I'm going to increase while there. I'm not sure, but believe its currently 850w.

As an aside, water cooled is so much quieter. When I built my first water cooled system and turned it on, I thought I had messes up because there was no sound.
    Sounds very cool, but sure it would exceed my needs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast