Page 71 of 118 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,704 of 2817

Thread: The 2017 Blue Jay season thread

another rule change....man on first with 2 out, batter hits a ground rule double......man on first gets 3 bases and scores.......those stupid turf bounces cost runs for both teams

[QUOTE=gcostanza;5871307]Tal's Hill ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tal%27s_Hill[/QUOTE

yeah, gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nad Smith View Post
    another rule change....man on first with 2 out, batter hits a ground rule double......man on first gets 3 bases and scores.......those stupid turf bounces cost runs for both teams
    Nope. There were men on first and second. The man on second scored; the man on first was held up at third.

Perry
    "A trip around the world is not a cruise."

I think that Nad is proposing a rule change.

That was a monster shot by Morales yesterday. I think only Josh Donaldson hit one farther this season.

Question: Which Jay hit the 3rd and 4th longest HR this season?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyRider View Post
    ....I think only Josh Donaldson hit one farther this season.

Question: Which Jay hit the 3rd and 4th longest HR this season?
    Morales has hit the longest Blue Jays home run this season: 461'.

2. Morales: 452'
    3. Morales: 448'
    4. Morales: 447'
    4. Donaldson: 447

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgger View Post
    No question in my mind Carter is right, the Jays WS teams would defeat this team because they had the players capable of doing those things. The 2017 team does not!
    Disagree about the capability of the todays Jays. . Pro hitters have the ability to bunt, hit behind hitter sac fly etc but Gibby has not been demanding it

Starts in spring training where you hone those skills not in middle of season so could be too late now

While it is true Jays do not have a ton of speed for small ball , other than Morales and Martin they have reasonable speed enough for situational small ball

Lost in two playoffs in a row because long ball failed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrady12 View Post
    I think that Nad is proposing a rule change.
    I may be mistaken but I believe there is some discretion on the part of the ump that if the runner would clearly have scored he can award the extra base.

I don't think so, seen it Sunday where runner would have clearly scored, and 2 or 3 other times this year. MY suggested rule change recognizes that runner can safely go at the crack of the bat

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot Allures View Post
    Disagree about the capability of the todays Jays. . Pro hitters have the ability to bunt, hit behind hitter sac fly etc but Gibby has not been demanding it

Starts in spring training where you hone those skills not in middle of season so could be too late now

While it is true Jays do not have a ton of speed for small ball , other than Morales and Martin they have reasonable speed enough for situational small ball

Lost in two playoffs in a row because long ball failed
    I agree that professionals are expected to be fundamentally sound, unfortunately this is not always the case. Not only is this team is unable to bunt, their base running is at best, suspect. Defensively, balls are often thrown to the wrong base, cut off men are over thrown etc. These things should be taught , not just in spring training but as players work their way through the minors to the big leagues. When they get to the BIGS they should be able to do a lot of things automatically, IMO not this group!

Quote Originally Posted by gcostanza View Post
    Morales has hit the longest Blue Jays home run this season: 461'.

2. Morales: 452'
    3. Morales: 448'
    4. Morales: 447'
    4. Donaldson: 447
    Thanks. For some reason I thought Ryan Goin (surprisingly) was in the mix.

Going, goins Gones could barely hit 350 feet, let alone 450

Quote Originally Posted by Nad Smith View Post
    by the way, my brother Joe has been overall very good this year.....
    Your brother,Joe,is on the DL as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgger View Post
    I agree that professionals are expected to be fundamentally sound, unfortunately this is not always the case. Not only is this team is unable to bunt, their base running is at best, suspect. Defensively, balls are often thrown to the wrong base, cut off men are over thrown etc. These things should be taught , not just in spring training but as players work their way through the minors to the big leagues. When they get to the BIGS they should be able to do a lot of things automatically, IMO not this group!
    No argument from me

Total rubbish that the Jays cannot execute situational small ball Esp after the lack of short ball has kept them out of WS 2 years in a row

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot Allures View Post
    No argument from me

Total rubbish that the Jays cannot execute situational small ball Esp after the lack of short ball has kept them out of WS 2 years in a row
    AM590 today brought up other good points, Jays just cant play small ball, but they also cannot hit doubles or triples if their lives depended on it. Everything seems to be singles and homers.

I'm too lazy to look up the stats, but that sounds about right

Quote Originally Posted by Phil C. McNasty View Post
    AM590 today brought up other good points, Jays just cant play small ball, but they also cannot hit doubles or triples if their lives depended on it. Everything seems to be singles and homers.

I'm too lazy to look up the stats, but that sounds about right
    When Devon Travis was playing he hit a lot of doubles (approx 1 in every 10 hits) and compared to others in the major leagues, was near the top. Donaldson is a good doubles hitter but he has been hurt so his numbers are down. Pillar and Morales are acceptable double hitters followed by Bautista. Good double hitters in MLB will hit one approx 1 in 15 to 20 hits. The problem with the Jays is that many have lower batting averages and they do not hit triples and their hitting with runners in scoring position is not good. Watching the Jays can be frustrating at times but their shortcomings are not all that different when compared to many teams in the AL. All have weaknesses, but the Jays just appear to be really bad as we can see them everyday on TV.
    "The envy of all mankind". Don't believe me, just ask her

Quote Originally Posted by Samranchoi View Post
    When Devon Travis was playing he hit a lot of doubles (approx 1 in every 10 hits) and compared to others in the major leagues, was near the top. Donaldson is a good doubles hitter but he has been hurt so his numbers are down. Pillar and Morales are acceptable double hitters followed by Bautista. Good double hitters in MLB will hit one approx 1 in 15 to 20 hits. The problem with the Jays is that many have lower batting averages and they do not hit triples and their hitting with runners in scoring position is not good. Watching the Jays can be frustrating at times but their shortcomings are not all that different when compared to many teams in the AL. All have weaknesses, but the Jays just appear to be really bad as we can see them everyday on TV
    Okay, but do you agree or disagree that the Jays dont hit too many doubles and triples as opposed to other teams?? And yes I know triples are hard to come by.....DUH!!!!

Okay, but do you agree or disagree that the Jays dont hit too many doubles and triples as opposed to other teams?? And yes I know triples are hard to come by.....DUH!!!!
    I really cannot comment on every team in MLB in terms of doubles but when Travis was playing and hit a lot of doubles in May, the Jays did really well. I can say for sure they are not a team that hits many triples and I would hazard to guess they are at the lower end compared to other teams. Carrera, Smoak, Goins, Barney, Tulowitski and Martin are not doubles hitters. Pearce probably can be but he hasn't played enough.

I would hazard to guess they are at the lower end compared to other teams. Carrera, Smoak, Goins, Barney, Tulowitski and Martin are not doubles hitters. Pearce probably can be but he hasn't played enough
    Right, so whats your point??

Right, so whats your point??
    I was trying to answer your post:

Marco "Polo" Estrada on the mound to-night.

I was trying to answer your post:

Nope, I agree with you. Thats what I been saying all along the Jays are way too one-dimensional, and need to add more doubles and triples hitters, along with base-stealers!!!

This has always been my point the last 3 or 4 years or so

Two home runs two runs. Too bad no men on base for either one.

The Original Elf
    I'm starting to think the Jays need new a new conditioning/health team. Zaun commented after one game that the Jays looked too lean and fragile this season and I'm starting to think he might be on to something.
    "A voice of reason in a sea of madness"