Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Auston Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by dirkd101 View Post
    It's as simple as that and many other rookies have lost their bid for a Calder because of the injury bug. Thoughts are that they will keep him out regardless, until after the all-star break.
    Connor McDavid was also hurt in his rookie year.

Question: Should 18 and 19 year old kids be allowed to play a collision sport against grown men? That hit looked like something Matt Cooke (I know it wasn't Cooke) would do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyRider View Post
    Question: Should 18 and 19 year old kids be allowed to play a collision sport against grown men?
    They would be safer if they only played 50 minute games. Less ice time means less chance to get hurt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glamphotographer View Post
    Laine out with Concussion. Could come down to Matthews, Werenski and Marner.
    Posted this yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    They would be safer if they only played 50 minute games. Less ice time means less chance to get hurt.
    Maybe do what they do in MLB with young pitchers? Put young NHL players on a minute count. Noticed how the Jays put Sanchez on a pitch count so he doesn't get hurt.

Blog Entries
    Maybe do what they do in MLB with young pitchers? Put young NHL players on a minute count. Noticed how the Jays put Sanchez on a pitch count so he doesn't get hurt.
    And the Nats did that with Strasburg and he has been far from injury free.

Actually, there has been no documented evidence of this approach being effective. It is strictly intuitive.

I see nothing wrong with a 48 minute game plus a 5 minute overtime (if needed) and shootout (if needed). Basketball is a good example.

"In the United States, professional basketball refers to the NBA, which has games that last 48 minutes of regulation"

"In European professional games and FIBA, each game consists of 40 minutes of regulation"

If I were Commissioner I would also ban bodychecking between the two blue lines.

Blog Entries
    I see nothing wrong with a 48 minute game plus a 5 minute overtime (if needed) and shootout (if needed).
    If I were Commissioner I would also ban bodychecking between the two blue lines.
    I see nothing wrong with you seeing nothing wrong with your proposals.

Unfortunately for you the rest of the world sees plenty wrong with your ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    I see nothing wrong with you seeing nothing wrong with your proposals.

Unfortunately for you the rest of the world sees plenty wrong with your ideas.
    They said the same thing about no need to touch the puck on an icing call. We should never be afraid of new ideas to improve the game.

Question 1: What is so terrible about a 48 minute game?
    Question 2: What is so terrible about banning body checks in the neutral zone?

Getting back to 18 and 19 year olds playing in the NHL, I still think that is too young and the NHL agrees with me.
    "The NHL, of course, would prefer moving in the other direction, possibly to a 20-year-old draft"

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/c...gibility-rule/

1. a 48 minute game cheats the paying fan of 12 minutes of hockey. An 18 year old has a right to make a living not play junior for peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by Nad Smith View Post
    1. a 48 minute game cheats the paying fan of 12 minutes of hockey.
    Ok, but I think it will prolong a player's career.

An 18 year old has a right to make a living not play junior for peanuts
    I think raising the draft age to 20 will encourage more kids to get a college education. Many American universities offer full hockey scholarships.

Ok, but I think it will prolong a player's career.

I think raising the draft age to 20 will encourage more kids to get a college education. Many American universities offer full hockey scholarships.

I do not think a 48 minute game would prolong any player's career...it would just mean less playing time for the fourth line (and on some teams the third line). The star players would still get their ice time as coaches play to win today and would keep playing their best players the same amount of time they currently do. If anything I would expect to see the fourth liners playing twice as hard and physical knowing that they were going to only have a few shifts a game...you may actually see more injuries if you shorten the game.

That's a big NO, to a 48 minute game. As others have stated, it will do nothing to prolong a career, there is no basis for a statement like that. It is a game that has an element of risk to it, like all contact sports and that risk is not diminished by shortening the period of time you play the game for.

Selected to All Star team. Bonus - $212,500

Quote Originally Posted by Frankunderwood View Post
    Selected to All Star team. Bonus - $212,500
    Do you have any idea of his base and then his bonus structure? He is definatly playing for the added bucks!!

Quote Originally Posted by yogi1 View Post
    Do you have any idea of his base and then his bonus structure? He is definatly playing for the added bucks!!
    Wait till he becomes a RFA in a couple of yrs. I could see the Coyotes signing him to an offer sheet at around $12-14 million a year which will force the Leafs to match.

Quote Originally Posted by saxon View Post
    Wait till he becomes a RFA in a couple of yrs. I could see the Coyotes signing him to an offer sheet at around $12-14 million a year which will force the Leafs to match.
    The Leafs will bridge his contract to tie him up longer. I don't see the Leafs losing him to the Coyotes.

He will never get to RFA status...the Leafs will have him signed to a long-term extension well before that. With top dollar for his on ice play along with the endorsement dollars he will get as a Leaf it should not be too hard to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by yogi1 View Post
    $925K base. Bonuses max out at another $2.85MM, which he'll likely reach if he's in the top 10 in goals.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkd101 View Post
    Could Toronto have a Calder Trophy winner in Matthews?
    There's probably under the table finagling so I would put my money on Matthews for that reason alone.

Quote Originally Posted by workingstiff View Post
    He will never get to RFA status...the Leafs will have him signed to a long-term extension well before that. With top dollar for his on ice play along with the endorsement dollars he will get as a Leaf it should not be too hard to work out.
    Not if he's got a smart agent. No better way than maximizing your clients worth than getting him involved in a bidding war.

Do you realize how rare it has been for a RFA to move via an offer sheet ?

This isn't the "old" Leaf management. Lou and Shanny will make sure this kid is a long term Leaf and they will build around him. Consider him a franchise player.

Quote Originally Posted by superstar_88 View Post
    There's probably under the table finagling so I would put my money on Matthews for that reason alone.
    Or he could win it by being the best rookie in the league.Not everything is a conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by smuddan View Post
    Do you realize how rare it has been for a RFA to move via an offer sheet ?
    Yes it's very rare, but so are young stars like McDavid and Mathews. If I'm not mistaken Leafs cannot sign Mathews to an extension until his entry level contract is up. I might be wrong about that.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast