PDA

View Full Version : pc games

mrpolarbear
04-18-2003, 08:59 PM
i dont know if i have ever seen a thread on this but if there was i am sorry for this one. I was just wondering if there are any gamers on this board, and what their favorite pc games are. My all time favorite is Postal, redneck rampage, Kingpin, Soldier of fortune and carmageddon. As you can see i tend to go for the more violent games but in real life i am just a big teddybear. i just picked up Postal 2 the other day and its a blast but the problem is the gaming industry finally passed me by. the game will run but it sure is damn slow. if there are any postal 2 players here we ought to try and hook up and play online.

submissivedave
04-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Personally, I always had a thing for war games. Two of my favourite that come to mind right this instant are Age of Empires II - the Conquers and Shogun : Total War - Mongol Invasion. They are old but very good and with high replay value ...

DonBusch
04-18-2003, 11:40 PM
Another older game with great replay value is Civillization III, very well-designed but takes a pretty long time to win.

Kathleen
04-18-2003, 11:49 PM
I'm also a fan of War games. My favorites are Command & Conquer, and Medal of Honor Allied Assult. I play MOHAA online at gamespy. Its a riot.

Kathleen

submissivedave
04-18-2003, 11:58 PM
Yes !!! Anyone remember those old SSI games ??? Panzer General? People's General?? etc. ???

Man, those are the classics ...

No doubt Civ. III is up there. When I first played, I was overwhelmed by it, got so pissed I decided not to play. Then I though to myself, "spent so much time downloading it ... don't wanna just delete the damn thing ..."

PS - Kathleen, you can have an allied assault with your sisters on me if you like. :-)

I'd surrender without a fight and you can torture me and interrogate me ...

SD

Thunderballs
04-19-2003, 12:00 AM
Two games that I really liked in the recent past were Dungeon Keeper (the Dungeon Mistress was an interesting character) and Army Men. I find that there can be a large time committment in just learning how to play the games that are out now and I don't have a lot of time for that but these two games were easy to pick up quickly. Army men was pretty fun. They actually do melt with the flame thrower!

JDayger
04-19-2003, 01:39 AM
Never Winter Nights
Diablo I & II and all the add ons
Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin and Beyond Overlord
Cossacks and add ons
MS Flight Sim
AOE
Steel Panthers

Remo
04-19-2003, 05:29 AM
Starcraft
Diablo 2
MOHAA and Spearhead
Return to Castle Wolfenstien
Hidden and Dangerous
Dungeon Seige
Unreal Tournament (Orignal not the crappy 2003 version)

torex
04-19-2003, 08:43 AM
I've been playing Hitman2 both pc and xbox version. Love that game!
also enjoy Half Life(Team Fortress mod) and Quake2 for online fun.
other great games for xbox and pc: Splinter Cell,Ghost Recon(online is the best) Metal Gear Solid2,DeusX.
btw mrpolarbear god I loved that Redneck Rampage! rofl "IIIIIII'm gonna fuck ya!!!" lmao
what a game for 10 bucks!:p

Honeyman
04-19-2003, 10:32 AM
DeusEx
Age of Empires II
Quake 2
Quake 3
Unreal Tournament

BigGuy26
04-19-2003, 11:27 AM
Hey Kathleen, I loved the Command and Conquer: Red Alert game, that was amazing. And Medal of Honour was really good too.

t_dot
04-19-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by torex
I've been playing Hitman2 both pc and xbox version. Love that game!

i'm on a ps2, but i rented hitman 2 a couple weeks ago and finnished it. that game is totally adicitive. how far have you gotten torex? some of those missons in japan are crazy!

moh is also quite cool. i just love killing nazis!

torex
04-19-2003, 11:48 AM
I finished it!
got a little confused at the end there where they throw you for a loop and have a paper cutout of your target let alone giving you blanks for the sniper rifle lol.

XoticDancee
04-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Kathleen
I play MOHAA online at gamespy. Its a riot.

Kathleen

If you like MOHAA online you should try Battlefield 1942 and the expansion pack, Road to Rome. I've played both games and I enoy BF1942 a lot more.

blofeld
04-19-2003, 01:40 PM
Diablo 2
Warcarft 2 & 3
Starcraft
Master of Orion 2 (great game, but dated)
Quakes

What A Wookie
04-19-2003, 03:11 PM
So many to choose from but here are my faves:

Homeworld & Homeworld: Cataclysm
Half-Life
No One Lives Forever
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Ghost Recon
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

loki
04-19-2003, 10:11 PM
Starcraft is an old reliable game that never dissappoints. But right now I'm more into the "Day of Defeat" or "Battlefield 1942" games online. It's funny, I only ever played one full level in single player Quake, but I can't tell you how many 100s (1,000s?) of hours I played online. Online is always the best in these games - got to have a human oppponent!

Ghost Recon rocks too!

KBear
04-19-2003, 11:33 PM
Have been playing Unreal Tournament online in capture the flag type arenas for some time now. Would like to hear any opinions as to whether there is a better online game out that would be an upgrade from UT. Heard that the 2003 version was not worth the upgrade.

Parhelion
04-19-2003, 11:49 PM
I'm playing 'Aces High', an online WW2 combat flight simulator. Very realistic flight models apparently and certainly acts according to what I would expect based on my experience with more sedate real-life aircraft. A bit demanding to learn but fascinating once you start to get the hang of it, if you're into that sort of thing. Many aircraft to choose from, ground vehicles, boats, ships - brilliantly executed. Anywhere from 300 to 700 people playing at any one time. You need a fairly fast machine to run it smoothly though.

Tango
04-20-2003, 12:15 AM
Ghost Recon, Delta force packs, BF1942, Medal of Honor,
RTCW, lol pretty much played many more. Right now trying
America's Army

Naughty Alex
04-20-2003, 03:38 AM
Too high tech for me, mine is still FreeCell. :)

Big Papa Smurf
04-20-2003, 11:02 AM
I was hooked on the Age of Empires series as well as the Star Craft series. Has anyone tried Age of Mythology? I am wondering whether or not I shoud get it.

Naughty Alex
04-20-2003, 02:05 PM
Not to mention the SIms series - I was seriously into the SIMS for quite a while.

submissivedave
04-20-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Big Papa Smurf
I was hooked on the Age of Empires series as well as the Star Craft series. Has anyone tried Age of Mythology? I am wondering whether or not I shoud get it.

Big Papa ... Ever since the AOE Series has been released, I am still hooked. It has incredibly high replay value. The funniest thing is though ... I still can not beat the computer when its set to anything higher then "moderate". Sometimes I think the AI/engine cheats and does things even when it does not have enough resources.

Now, Age of Mythology looks really really good. I don't want to get it because it seems like it requires a very powerful machine in which I don't have.

Another good game from Ensemble Studios thats coming out soon is "Rise of Nations". It looks FUCKING GOOD. But, with my Pentium 3 350, I barely meet the requirements and game play would lag like hell.

Kathleen
04-20-2003, 04:15 PM
BigGuy26 - I liked the original C&C best. Red Alert was ok, but I lost interest after that. I'd still play C&C but it doesn't like XP Pro. I havent played it since I left Win98.

XoticDancee - I was wondering how that one was.. Thanks!
I'm pretty much hooked on MOHAA- Spearhead now. I spend an hr or two before bed online in games spy. I used to suck, but am now pretty good. I usually finish in the top 4 each map.

My favorite weapon is the sniper rifle. On a couple maps I use the smg. The new maps in Spearhead rule. I've downloaded a pile of mods to like laser dot, no trees/shrubs.. and mega blood mod.

I'd like to see an exact format style as Mohaa, but more modern. Like '69 area in Nam, or modern day, like the gulf.

Thanks
Kathleen

Ripper77
04-20-2003, 08:16 PM
I like the Flyers new 2003 Stanley Cup Series game. Awesome game realism is unbeleivable.A must gift.

Berlin
04-21-2003, 01:15 AM
Call me old school, or simply, old.... my all time fav PC game is:

Wolfenstein , plain old mindless point and shoot. I was so hooked back then. Dang, the game came on just 2 floppy... o, the pre Pentium days. Doom II was nice, of course.

Tectris would be another fav.... tectris on any platform, that is.

For the past 4 months, game cube usually does the job for me:

either Metroid Prime or Mario Sunshine ;)

Looking forward to playing Medal of Honour though.

Frank White
04-21-2003, 01:34 AM
Do you guys remember Leasure suit Larry on the Amiga? That game used to rock. I used play the game back when I owned an amiga2000. Most hardcore gamers will remember this computer. I think I paid over $5000 for my system and it only had a 20MB hard drive! This was back in the late 80s nobody had a clue what a gigabyte was back then. Amgia was light years ahead of their time.

And then along came Atari...... ;)

Big Papa Smurf
04-21-2003, 02:04 AM
Big Papa ... Ever since the AOE Series has been released, I am still hooked. It has incredibly high replay value. The funniest thing is though ... I still can not beat the computer when its set to anything higher then "moderate". Sometimes I think the AI/engine cheats and does things even when it does not have enough resources.

The key is to convert all of the computer's forces with your monks. It takes a bit longer to win, but you can definately outnumber the computer's forces by 2:1. I've been able to win all the campaigns from Joan of Arc, Ghengis Kahn, and Fredric Barbarossa at the highest difficulty level. Saladin is the only one where I have problems at the highest level.

The best part of the game is slaughtering all those villagers with knights while they gather resources.

Now, Age of Mythology looks really really good. I don't want to get it because it seems like it requires a very powerful machine in which I don't have.
What are the requirements? I have a 400MHz pentium 2 with 128MB SDram.

I love military strategy games.

submissivedave
04-21-2003, 02:04 AM
Fuck man ... I still remember my red and white super Nintendo (Asian version) where you can stick floppy disks in to play.

Shit, remember The Legend of Zelda? Dragon Warrior? Shinobi on Sega, Golden Axe, Mario, Donkey Kong ...

Then you have Load Runner on PC, Karateka, Prince of Persia, Tetris, Budokan ... shit man, the list goes on ...

Yeah, new games look better, but old games got better game play.

Fuck !!! Who can forget the Final Fantasy series??? But the new one sucks though ...

submissivedave
04-21-2003, 02:22 AM
Oh yeah .... Big Papa ..... I just love killing villagers so I can destroy their production and any means of expansion. Then I take out strategic buildings like castles, guard towers, military production buildings and churches.

Fuck, I love to raid them and just rob them for relics. I almost always end the game with 5 relics. AOE II will definitely be a modern classic.

I once played using Chinese against the computer with Aztecs on moderate and I was able to hold and defend myself. But, as time went by, my resources ran out and I could not produce anymore units. All the gold, stone and trees were gone. The only thing I had to produce resources were the farms. But even that ran out ... so, I just admit my defeat and quit the game.

Damn those Aztecs man ... they have the best infantry with those Jaguar Warriors with armor/attack upgrade with Garland Wars ... they could beat a Teutonic Knight one on one ...

As for your question ... to be exact, you have to check the ensemblestudios website. Just go to www.microsoft.com, then to the games and Xbox section and follw the links. But, if I remember correctly, its like minimum P3 or something with lots and lots of RAM ...

BTW - some of my favourite civilizations in AOE II are:

Chinese - cause they got almost everything except gunpowder infantry units and those canon dudes, and Chinese archers kick ass, have a good tech tree

Aztech - the best infantry, best unique technology [Garland Wars], they have siege onagers

Koreans - good tech tree, has guns, and two unique units, the Turtle boat rules at sea ... very very hard to sink the damn thing ...

Turks, Byzintines, Serecens - simply the best because of tech tree and powerful gunpowerder units and unique units

Civs. I dislike:

Brits - the tech tree is perhaps one of the shittiest

Persians - elephants are too slow and always get converted

Japanese - poor tech tree

Later ...

zaphod351
07-02-2003, 04:26 PM
I never knew we had so many gamers out here. I am a heavy BF1942 fan myself. Anyone interested in starting a TERB clan?? lol

"Requesting a pickup!!!"

Zorba
07-02-2003, 06:22 PM
Zaphod, love the handle; the "trilogy" was a fantastic read.

I was into Battlefield for a while. Loads of fun. But too many of the servers that I was logging onto featured too many cheaters for me to hang around. Those "trainers" (where bullets defy the laws of physics and bend towards you) were particularly annoying... It's a shame because the game is great.

If you knew of a nice, "clean" server to play on, I'd think about starting up again.

zaphod351
07-02-2003, 06:54 PM
I hear ya Zorba, I don't know how long ago you last played but a number of patches have been released 1.41 being the latest and I have found things "seem" to play pretty evenly now. I also tend to stick to the larger EA sponsored and Nvidia servers. If yer ever out on the Battllefield and see SGT Slaughter....DON"T SHOOT ME!!! lol

PS. Check out the Eve of Destruction and Desert Combat MODs, takes the game to a whole new level.

OK...back to my other hobbie....SEX!!!!!

Top Jimmy
07-02-2003, 07:03 PM
SubDave: OMG, Karateka! I played this to death on my Apple IIe (5" green monochrome monitor, a whopping 48K onboard memory...)

Fave games of all time?

Currently its DiabloIIExpansion. I have logged hundreds of hours online (and its cheaper than getting lapdances), anyone wants to play online sometime, PM me. I have 4 characters between lvl 80 and lvl 91.

Lots of hours on the old 1st persons: Unreal Tournament, Quake III (and II, and I), Doom II and I in their times too.

I played hours of Star Wars: Tie Fighter, after playing my joystick dead on Sierra's Aces of the Pacific and originally Red Baron.

If anyone out there still flies flight sims, get IL-2 Shturmovik and the new Forgotten Battles, IL2 #2. I have NEVER seen better looking, more realistic flight sims in my life, and the online community for it is truly world wide.

DenWa
07-02-2003, 07:41 PM
Star Wars Galaxies will be the coolest game ever made...A fully explorable, real-time, EverQuest styled Star Wars online game. I'm drooling...

Rogie
07-31-2003, 06:33 AM
Rocks! It's a hot game, great storyline and very addictive. But it does require a powerful machine. I wouldn't try it on anything less than a P4 with a good graphics card (GeForce 3 or 4, Radeon, with 64+ MB of RAM) and 512 MB RAM. Good thing I work in the industry. :)

Rogie

Looking4team
08-05-2003, 01:12 PM
I would have to say (playing online),

A few years ago it was Star Craft, then Ghost Recon, RTCW, and now I've been playing RTCW ET since it was released.

red
08-05-2003, 01:42 PM
Doom and CIV

Badboytl
08-05-2003, 03:58 PM
PC
Neverwinter Nights
Ghost Recon (online with friends...more fun that way)
Superbike 2001 (quite possibly the most realistic racing sim ever!)

Atari 2600

Demon Attack
Galaga
Gorf

Commodre Vic 20 (Games you loaded with a cassette tape player)

Jupiter Lander

nutnbetter
08-05-2003, 05:10 PM
Five pages to this thread and I don't think anyone has mentioned Max Payne....great game...excellent gun play when you can shot people in slow motion...a classic game in xbox or p.c. formats

torex
05-02-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm almost finished Splinter Cell- Pandora Tomorrow, I can't seem to get past the last level. I've got the walkthrough online but it does'nt seem to work. I can never kill the terrorists and get to the gas in time. the walkthrough tells me to use my sticky shockers but I don't have any left and can't find any.

I thought I would ressurect an old game thread and see if any of you gamers out there can give me any help or hints.

thanks

Happy gamming :p

civic82
05-03-2004, 03:09 AM
WASTELAND is a classic, gotta love that " unrecognizable piece of gore " line.
Romance of the Three Kingdoms III took my many nights of sleep.
I was hooked onto Diablo/Hellfire for a while. In fact, still am. For some reason, prefer Diablo over Diablo2.
Now I am hooked on Dungeon Siege.......it's gonna be long battle.

DenWa
05-03-2004, 03:28 AM
Tron 2.0 is freaking awesome....gotta have a good pc though.

DW

ycghiydvo
05-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Warcraft (series)
Simcity (series)
Caesar (series)

Freedom Force (little known, but fun superhero game)

And to Kathleen....

You have an excellent TV and enjoy electronics, you like sports, you like video games, you work out, and you are down to earth, you are drop dead gorgeous... my questions are ...

1.... Are you for real?

and

2.... Will you marry me?

LOL

I nominate Kathleen for "Woman of the Millennium"

pineappleguy
05-03-2004, 10:27 PM
My all-time favs are Descent and Descent II

agentman
12-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
Warcraft 3
Deus Ex
Unreal Tournament
Duke Nukem
Diablo

catchmeonline.com
12-04-2005, 03:24 PM
AOE 2 & expansion
AOE 3
AAO
EQ
WOW
GTA3 Vice city
NFS2 underground2
BF2
:S lotsa games out there that totally kick azz.

baltimoron
12-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Syndicate
Crusader: No Remorse & Crusader: No Regret

ldude
12-21-2005, 12:17 AM
baldurs gate I, II

hmm ... what else ... neverwinter night ... knight of the old republic ... grand theft auto 2 was fun ... jagged alliance ... there's a lof of them actually, hahaha ...

baltimoron
12-21-2005, 05:12 AM
Turn-based squad games (gone forever but sorely missed):

Incubation
Jagged Alliance
Soldiers at War

Real-time squad games (also gone forever):

Commandos I & II (III sucked)